GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Stoked !!!! :coffee1:

Valves Centered No Adjustment needed.

Someone pinch me I think I'm dreaming

I can't believe I got so lucky.:yes1:

Two Intakes were not centered but in spec

they were a loose 0.005 and tight 0.006

Close enough from my house and I'm kinda anal about stuff.

If I were to offer a reason why there would be many:

1. Bike not built on Friday or Monday
2. Change Oil Often
3. Use Good Oil
4. Change Oil Before the Stupid Book Says Too
5. Use Good Gas when ever You Can
6. It's a Honda

Curious on Your thoughts Re: my thoughts of why no adjustment needed, I would be interested in reading your thoughts.

Kids and Old Smart Pants~ Stay on point.!!!
I'm sure I will get a few Bozo Responses knowing how this site operates .
(prolly why a lot of the good fellows do not post anymore)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles?

first check done

after reading everyone's recommendations on waste of money (if have dealer do work) to do it early so.....
I waited till needed some other service ( forks seals and All Ball steering stem, in the works now). With forks off I figured would be the time to do it
assuming I had to take cams out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have read on the board here about different thoughts on checking the valves and when to check them. Some do it on a regular basis and others well into the life of the bike. I for one don't like tearing apart my bike or cars for the fun of it but i do believe in reasonable maintenance.
My question is the GW have solid lifters thus if they wear a little as the miles roll up. The worse that can happen is a little clatter like old cars use to do before hydraulic valves. Am I missing something here regarding the valves. Why check them if they are not noisy or clattering? I don't know how they can tighten up given the lobe wear and the lifter wear as a normal process. Can someone help me understand why owners are constantly checking valve clearances without noticeable noises from the lifters?>?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have read on the board here about different thoughts on checking the valves and when to check them. Some do it on a regular basis and others well into the life of the bike. I for one don't like tearing apart my bike or cars for the fun of it but i do believe in reasonable maintenance.
My question is the GW have solid lifters thus if they wear a little as the miles roll up. The worse that can happen is a little clatter like old cars use to do before hydraulic valves. Am I missing something here regarding the valves. Why check them if they are not noisy or clattering? I don't know how they can tighten up given the lobe wear and the lifter wear as a normal process. Can someone help me understand why owners are constantly checking valve clearances without noticeable noises from the lifters?>?
the valve seats can wear causing valve to sink into the head slightly, actually decreasing the clearance.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Just checked mine at 32,000.

All were within .0005.......I am happy, and now I have a baseline for future checks.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Mine were in spec at 49K when I checked them and I have a friend that last time I checked with him. His bike was at 223K and has never had an adjustment. He had them checked at 110K.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Now I understand better how the valve clearance can tighten up. Is the sinking into the valve seat a common thing? I have never heard of that before or at least in cars. I realize most cars have hydraulic lifters opposed to solid and maybe that is the answer.

thanks for the answer

·
Registered
169 Posts
the valve seats can wear causing valve to sink into the head slightly, actually decreasing the clearance.
exactly then if you run them tight you will burn a valve

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The most important check is the first one. Around 32K. That simply checks for human error or something not quite right. After that maybe at 100K.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Now I understand better how the valve clearance can tighten up. Is the sinking into the valve seat a common thing? I have never heard of that before or at least in cars. I realize most cars have hydraulic lifters opposed to solid and maybe that is the answer.

thanks for the answer
It is due to the configuration of the valve train. As the cam wears, the adjustment actually gets tighter, meaning you won't hear any noise. It is a very common configuration for motorcycles. You don't hear about it often in cars partially because most cars use hydraulic lifters. There are a number of different valve train configurations used in cars. Most will cause the adjustment to loosen, which will cause valve train clatter.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
exactly then if you run them tight you will burn a valve

OK, I suppose that this could indeed happen, but has anyone ever heard of this happening to a Goldwing? especially a GL1800? I for one have not.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

thanks for the answer
As the Cam, Valve Stems, Etc. wear, the clearance is reduced.

If the Valve can not close fully it is unable to dissapate the heat from the face of the valve, to the Cyl. Head. Thus resulting in a "Burned Valve"

The Valve will actually start burning it's seating surface, usually in a V-shape along the edge of the Valve, and it will no longer seal the combustion chamber, creating a miss in the engine.

Solid Lifters can be adjusted to maintain the proper clearance between the Cam & Lifter.

Hydraulic Lifters are not generally adjustable because they depend on the hydraulic action of the oil pressure to maintain their clearances.

But, either or both of them, are subject to wear, and need to be checked periodically.

·
Registered
237 Posts
After reading all these posts over the years about valve clearances tightening
with mileage, my own considerable experience with rebuilt auto heads, and
no actual reports of burned valves due to tight clearances, I am convinced
that clearances tightening enough to burn a valve is all a bunch of baloney
that doesn't happen in actuality.

There are many auto heads that have similar solid lifters as the GL1800.
I have yet to see a valve burned on such a head due to a tightened
clearance. We tear down about 15,000 heads a year by the way. The
hardened seat inserts used in aluminum heads just don't wear like you
might theorize.

A burned valve due to insufficient clearance is possible, I supppose, but the
Red Sox winning the World Series this year is more likely.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I would bet that a high percentage of owners never check clearances on bikes with solid lifters. I would just hate to be that one in a thousand that does have a problem. The cost of being negligent is just too great.

I'm not anal about maintenance items like this. I will check them, but never within mfr guidelines. My bike has 60K on it now. I plan on doing my first check this winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts