GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you fellows that have adjusted you own valves. Do you really need the TENSIONER HOLDER TOOL A & B. I guess these tools keep the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER from falling apart. It looks like these tools would be over a $100.00. I don't want to buy them if I don't really need to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tensioner tool

You don't have to buy the tools.Check Fred H's Website.He does it with a jewelers screwdriver and a hemostat.I have a lathe and I made my own tools.I guess you could do the same with a drill press and some files.a small screwdrive w/ a 3/16ths in shaft that is 1 1/2 inches long and some 3/4in diameter wheels.Someday I will learn how to post pictures,but if you want I will send some by Email.....Jim

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
tensioner.... to wind or not to wind.....

The tool releases the tension on the cam chain so the cam will find its natural resting point as the chain may pull the forward lobes in reducing the clearance and lifting out the rear increasing the clearance.

I have checked mine with the tensioner wound up and not at all. I found no difference in the measurement on any of the 12 buckets. I was actually better off not even winding them up. The first time I wound one up, it stuck there. I had to physically touch the piston (inside the engine) before it would work right. The left was easy, I could remove it to make it work. The right side, I had to remove the timing cover and broke the chain guide getting to it. After I got a finger on them, they never had another problem in function.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
The left bank is very easy to de-tension with any small flat bladed screw driver and a hemostat or small vice grip to lock it in place. The right bank needs a tool, exp if you have ABS (crowded space). You can use the tool designed for the right bank on the left bank too if you prefer to do one side at a time. I purchased a tool that is different from the one listed for the GL1800 that will work on non-ABS types with ease. I found it did make a difference with the tension off; not much - but some. Fred also reported some minor difference in the front most buckets. Fred's pbase site has photos, his videos are a marvelously entertaining help.

prs

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
P/N 07AMG-001A100 is a cheaper alternate tool that works on both sides according to past postings here. My bike is at 31910 right now so am within days of evaluating it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts