GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do the valve adjustment on my 18 Wing over the winter. I have Fred's videos and I've watched the valve adjustment procedure once.

Questions:
1. Where do I get shims?
2. Should I buy a assortment package of shims ( if such a thing exists) ahead of time, or go through the procedure, determine the shims I need and then order them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
My experience is that you likely won't need shims, just adjust an exhaust valve or two. If you do find an intake out of spec just determine what shim you need and get it at your Honda dealer.

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Questions:
1. Where do I get shims?
2. Should I buy a assortment package of shims ( if such a thing exists) ahead of time, or go through the procedure, determine the shims I need and then order them?
1. You get them at the dealer.

2. I remember Fred answering a similar question a year or so back. He said wait until you know what shims you need, then get them at the dealer.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
I did an early check when Fred first released his video. I needed no shims and I do not recall adjusting exhaust tappets either; then again, I do not recall breakfast this morning..... I am not sure, but the shims may be the same as previous model and there are kits for that. Can also order individual sizes online from various suppliers like Partzilla, etc. Doing the job during winter non-riding season is a good approach for those of us in cooler climates.

prs

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
144 Posts
I would like to have a kit with shims…I try to keep as many maintenance and disposable parts/supplies on hand as I can get. Especially since every time I turn around and need something its “On Back Order” because of Covid. Not to mention I can ride year round in Florida. This is my first Goldwing but do all my own work. These “Shim Kits” I hear about is something I would definitely buy if I knew what kit to get. Maybe Fred will share that information.

Its well over 100 miles to a Honda shop. Powersports dealers abound but no actual certified Honda techs….that leaves the only person I trust to do the work…me.

·
Premium Member
19,799 Posts
My suggestion would be to....
...........what were we talking about?

·
Vendor
22,447 Posts
Shim kits typically only come in half size steps, and it can be a costly endeavor to fill in all the odd size gaps in the kit. I've probably got close to $1K invested in shims for the Wing to make a complete kit with all sizes. Since you're doing this over the winter, my advice would be to wait until you know what shims you need, and then just order those individual shims at a dealership. You'll probably have to wait a few days to get them but it will save you a lot of money, and since you're only doing one bike, there really is no need to keep a complete kit. Expect to pay from $5 to $12 per shim. Honda shims cost a bit more than some of the other brands out there.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Another unnecessary expense of shim kits is all the ones you will never need as they are thicker than you need and your needs will never grow toward the larger end of specturm. I have a hot cams kit from man years ago and many are larger (thicker) than any I have needed. But it is handy and I have not had any prolblem gettng very close to center spec. Hot Cams seems to be the brand of my kit, IIRC, but take care in how you type that into your browser!

prs

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was leaning towards ordering only the shims I needed and your comments helped. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have a Hot Cams kit as well. It was worth it to me when I got it in preparation for my 2002 first valve check. I think it cost me about $80 back then and it contained 3 of every other size. Right now with multiple valve check/adjustments for 4 GL1800's (not counting 2018 as I did not adjust anything on its first check); there are 11 "came with" sizes that are not 3-counts along with 4 of the skipped sizes in it. Sizes that are "not original count" start at 1.20 and go up to 3.50. The every other size numbers go up by 0.05 with x.x2 or x.x8 as the "missing" sizes. So you can see trying to build your own kit for all sizes can get rather expensive in a hurry. With 12 shims total and a possibility of needed the same "new" size in more than one valve; "3 each" may be a problem. I think the next time I order something, I may need to throw in a couple of the missing x.x0 & x.x5 sizes in case I need them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts