GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is due for a check up on this. Any help here would be greatly
appreciated. Special tools, tricks, what NOT to do.

I have the manual but I know the details/tricks are not listed.

Anyone near Hollister/Gilroy CA who gas done this????

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are doing the first 32k check, almost everyone has reported NO adjustment required to the valve clearance.

All you will need to check the clearance is the correct feeler gage, don't do the part about releasing the tension on the cam chain. You only need to do that if you have to adjust the clearance and then you will need the special Honda Tool

:yw1:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I wont bother buying the kit or special tool yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Silver Ghost

I waited until my 01 had 70,000 miles on it before i checked th valves. I did it at home, it was easy & quick. Take th valve covers off, take th inspection cover off th front of th motor & follow th directions in th service manual. I put th bike on th centerstand in 3rd gear or so & it was easy ta lay down & turn th rear wheel with my outstretched foot lookin it th inspection hole & rollin th mark & th motor around th jest th exact spot. I didn't remove th spark plugs. My clearances were ah little smaller than what th book calls for but ok by my standards. I buttoned it back up & continued ridin it as before. I reused th gaskets adding ah little silicone at th corners of th gaskets as shown in th book. I used Honda 10W40 for th first 70,000 miles. :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts