GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 4 month old, 2018 Goldwing DCT with just 1500 miles on the clock started making a loud ticking noise from the right cylinder bank. Depressingly, my dealer could not fix it for an entire month due to chronic staffing issues. :crying:

Feeling saucy and not wanting to wait, I decided to check to see if the valves needed to be adjusted. The forward cylinder exhaust was so far out I couldn't measure it! Something like 0.015" and it should be between 0.003 and 0.005. All the exhausts were out of spec on the right cylinder. The intakes were within spec.

When I tried to adjust the valves, I noticed that the valve stem is actually recessed below the spring retainer, making it impossible to get a good feel with the gauges due to the gauge "bridging" over the stem because it is held out by the retainer. Could someone tell me if this is normal? If it is, what special gauges are needed to check the clearances? I'm worried that the stems are mushroomed or maybe there is a problem with the keepers that made them slip below the retainer.

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
At 1500 miles valves should not have to be adjusted. This is definitely warranty issue. I would contact Mother Honda. Your dealer sounds like a moron. There was a guy on a popular Goldwing Facebook group whose bike broke down because of a loud tapping noise and it was determined it was due to the way the engine was assembled at factory and Honda rebuilt the engine. The manual states that Valve Clearance is checked at 24,000 miles.

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, The service manual says to check the clearance at the rollers. So that makes things easier. I'm still curious about why the stems are recessed below the valve retainers.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Search the forum. Fred Harmon recently posted about a valve adjustment and there is a good thread on it. If you're going to do your own mx, you better invest in his 2018+ GL1800 mx videos. You can search the forum for info on them, too.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Kristen, one tip we learned recently from Fred is to check the intakes first. If they have to be adjusted to get into spec, then the exhausts will have to be fully loosened which loses and work you may have done there. Let us know if measuring by the cam rollers gets you back to proper lash.

prs

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
intakes, adjustment

I checked the intake valves first. They were all on the loose side, but still within tolerance. It was mainly one exhaust valve that was way out of adjustment. The other exhaust valves on the right side were only slightly out. Adjusting the exhaust valves was really pretty easy.

My dealer seems to be chronically understaffed. I think that management must be really bad. Waiting an entire month just to get your bike looked at is just unacceptable at this level. I live an hour away from them, so to drop the bike off and pick it up later takes a total of 4 hours. The valve adjustment only took us an hour or so once we figured out what we were doing. So I am still ahead on time spent. Still I'm miffed about not getting to take advantage of the warranty.:serious:

The ticking my bike was making decreased dramatically and goes away completely once the bike has run for 5 minutes. Still, the right cylinder bank does make more noise than the left side which is comparatively silent. As a bonus, vibrations are greatly reduced in the handle bars! I thought the vibes were a normal characteristic of the bike. I guess that extra 0.005 of clearance changed the timing enough to throw things out of balance. I wonder if I should check the left cylinder bank valves...

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
The ticking my bike was making decreased dramatically and goes away completely once the bike has run for 5 minutes. Still, the right cylinder bank does make more noise than the left side which is comparatively silent. As a bonus, vibrations are greatly reduced in the handle bars! I thought the vibes were a normal characteristic of the bike. I guess that extra 0.005 of clearance changed the timing enough to throw things out of balance. I wonder if I should check the left cylinder bank valves...

So your original post said the exhaust valve was at .015.
Valves Should be .003-.005. That ends up being .010 difference. That's a lot.:smile2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts