GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what others are doing for the valve adjustment maintenance? Are you doing it yourself or taking it to the dealer - or just not bothering to do it? I am not to that mileage yet but not too far off. I have done valve adjustments in the past but this bike seems much more involved with the intake valves having shims. I have previously done shim adjustment many years ago on a 1975 900 Kawasaki. Also part of this procedure required the cam chain to be slackened with a small specialty tool. Has anyone bought this tool from Honda and if you have - what is the part number? Trying to decide if I should tackle this or leave it to the dealer and hope the mechanics know what they are doing..... Don't feel 100% confident in dealers after hearing too many reports of not knowing what they are doing with this bike.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to add - I have Fred's video's already as well as the shop manual - but job still sounds like a handful..... Yes I miss the old style valves as well.... :-(

·
Vendor
21,399 Posts
The valve adjustment on this bike is a bit more complicated in some ways than it was on the previous generation bike. I've already done it on several of the new bikes, including my own, and it does take me longer than it did on the previous generation bikes. If you have to remove the cam to change a shim, then you have to reset every single exhaust valve. Also, since this is a 4 valve head, there are twice as many valves that have to be checked and set.

If you want to bring me your bike, I'd be happy to do it. It generally takes me about 5-6 hours to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have not done the adjustment yet, I have watched Freds video already, If you have done value adj before you should not have an issue. Just use the correct feeler gauge Also Freds video lays out the valve sequence that you should follow. I don't own the tool but here is whats in the service manual

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Ive watched Freds Valve Adjustment video and will do it myself when the time comes. Fred, if you were buying shims ahead of time for the intake what would you suggest based on your experience with the 1833? Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The valve adjustment on this bike is a bit more complicated in some ways than it was on the previous generation bike. I've already done it on several of the new bikes, including my own, and it does take me longer than it did on the previous generation bikes. If you have to remove the cam to change a shim, then you have to reset every single exhaust valve. Also, since this is a 4 valve head, there are twice as many valves that have to be checked and set.

If you want to bring me your bike, I'd be happy to do it. It generally takes me about 5-6 hours to do.
If you were closer I would consider getting you to do it - live about 3 hours north of Toronto and Nov-Apr in central Florida.....

·
Vendor
21,399 Posts
Ive watched Freds Valve Adjustment video and will do it myself when the time comes. Fred, if you were buying shims ahead of time for the intake what would you suggest based on your experience with the 1833? Thanks
If you're buying individual shims, I wouldn't buy shims ahead of time, you'll never get the right sizes. I keep a complete kit of Honda shims in stock, but it costs quite a bit of money to build a kit. I probably have upwards of $1,500 worth of shims in my kit, but I do a lot of valve adjustments. My advice would be just plan for some down-time and order the shim sizes you need once you know what is in the engine, and make a "shim map" record of all the shims in each head if you remove a camshaft. This way you'll know what sizes to order in advance for the next time. Also, keep in mind that if none of your intake valves are out of spec, you won't have to replace any shims, so buying shims in advance would be a waste of money if the intakes are all in spec. And FYI, most of the common shim sizes I need are typically between the 200 and 215 range, but there are always outliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts