GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike in for new tires when I picked it up the tech informed me that I have a tic in the right front cyl. Said it was a common problem he’s already done 5 of them and Honda covers it under warranty every one of them was from the vary same side vary same cyl seems wierd but at least there going to take care of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Please update as to outcome, and if you get more info about the cause (if other than just that an adjustment is needed).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Valve adjustments are part of scheduled maintenance, I’m surprised that they are doing it under warranty, but good for you. I wonder if they will check and adjust all 24 or just the one that is noisy ?

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
Good for the tech to point it out. Unfortunately for service management, a tech pointing something like that out, may get them in trouble with Honda ... Honda might call that "looking for repairs." For a dealer, doing such can be a double edge sword. Here is what often happens. A manufacture has an "ideal picture" of what they should be paying each dealer for their warranty repairs, and dealerships are compared to one another. It doesn't take much of that kind of stuff for a dealer to bring attention onto themselves before the district service manager says "hey, what's up ??? In labor dollars last month, Honda paid you this much in labor dollars last month, more then ever before, and the shop across town that does twice as much volume as you only, and we only paid half as much" ???

My experience working at dealerships comes from the automotive world. Of coarse if a mechanic sees something that is safety related, and it's warranty related, or customer pay, they are trained to bring it to the attention of the service writer, so that it the service writer can get it addressed. However, often other things are not reported. If warranty related, it'll put their warranty claims out of balance, and can cause the manufacture to begin to audit every claim. Of course no business wants to deal with that. Certainly the dealer is expected to address any customer concerns. What occurred above was where the mechanic is alerting the customer so that he can complain about it, in which case it can then be addressed. The down side of all this is that it causes mechanics to put "blinders" on (it not my job to spot that) when doing maintenance, services, and other repairs ... they become conditioned.

Here are JustWings, we have no blinders. Many times a Wing may come in for a service, and problems are spotted are covered under Honda warranty. A couple of years ago, there was a Wing in, and when I wrote the estimate, it was well over $4,000 worth of possible warranty repair needed. My first question to the customer was, do you still have any time left on his warranty ??? Awesome, here is a list of needed repair that most likely your Honda dealer will repair for you :)

When a customer comes in with a list, that can easily cause Honda to wonder what's up !!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Took my bike in for new tires when I picked it up the tech informed me that I have a tic in the right front cyl. Said it was a common problem he’s already done 5 of them and Honda covers it under warranty every one of them was from the vary same side vary same cyl seems wierd but at least there going to take care of it.
whats the name of your dealer? props to them and the tech

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine developed a tick on right side about 2k miles. Had the valve adjustment done on right side under warranty. The lead tech at a powerhouse dealer, told me that all exhaust valves were out of spec all intake were fine…..said Honda set them at wrong spec during assembly on many bikes. tick has been gone since. Mine is a 2019, what year is yours?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Valuable information noted in this post, thanks to OP, and the others who shared additional information.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If Honda knows they messed up at assembly on several bikes, then it could be that there could be a service bulletin about it to make it good. But, I would not expect to be able to get that first valve check done for free. I have already done my first valve check and all were in spec (a few not "center" but still in spec). The next valve check may get an adjustment, but that depends on what is measured and I usually compare with the last values and a .001 change on a few may cause an adjustment even if all still "in spec".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine developed a tick on right side about 2k miles. Had the valve adjustment done on right side under warranty. The lead tech at a powerhouse dealer, told me that all exhaust valves were out of spec all intake were fine…..said Honda set them at wrong spec during assembly on many bikes. tick has been gone since. Mine is a 2019, what year is yours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Valve adjustments are part of scheduled maintenance, I’m surprised that they are doing it under warranty, but good for you. I wonder if they will check and adjust all 24 or just the one that is noisy ?
Going to check everything on that side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha Ha it’s a 2019

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Please help me know what to listen to:

1. Do you hear it at start up?
2. Below 50 mph?
3. Above 50 mph?
4. Is it the residual sound when you turn off the motor?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Very timely thread. I just changed my oil at 10,000 miles and while it was warming up to check for leaks i noticed a tick on the right-side.

Im under the extended Honda warranty. Ill call the dealer and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't hear it driving down the road, can't hear it when you start it either because its on fast idle after it warms up and the RPMs drop then you can hear it. Honda has already approved the repair

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting timing on this thread for me. My motor has had ticks and knocks from day one. I was told this motor was just noisier than the previous motor and it is, but, these noises concerned me. I'm taking mine in for new tires sometime next week so I'm going to talk to the tech and see what they say. I bought the bike at Shawnee Honda in Shawnee Oklahoma and they have always treated me very fairly so it will be interesting what they say.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Called my favorite local dealer. They said they have have a number of people complain about the same ticking on the right side and Honda tells them it is "normal". There is nothing to repair. Also, they are booked out for weeks. I think I will open up Fred's videos and take a look see my self this coming week.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts