GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Called my favorite local dealer. They said they have have a number of people complain about the same ticking on the right side and Honda tells them it is "normal". There is nothing to repair. Also, they are booked out for weeks. I think I will open up Fred's videos and take a look see my self this coming week.
That’s too bad. Mine was fixed under warranty no questions asked. My dealer, like Tom’s, was well aware of the issue and the fix.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Took my bike in for new tires when I picked it up the tech informed me that I have a tic in the right front cyl. Said it was a common problem he’s already done 5 of them and Honda covers it under warranty every one of them was from the vary same side vary same cyl seems wierd but at least there going to take care of it.
What year ???????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Called my favorite local dealer. They said they have have a number of people complain about the same ticking on the right side and Honda tells them it is "normal". There is nothing to repair. Also, they are booked out for weeks. I think I will open up Fred's videos and take a look see my self this coming week.
What year is your Wing? Seems the problem is really only with the 2019 bikes

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Took my bike in for new tires when I picked it up the tech informed me that I have a tic in the right front cyl. Said it was a common problem he’s already done 5 of them and Honda covers it under warranty every one of them was from the vary same side vary same cyl seems wierd but at least there going to take care of it.
So its the #1 cylinder?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good for the tech to point it out. Unfortunately for service management, a tech pointing something like that out, may get them in trouble with Honda ... Honda might call that "looking for repairs." For a dealer, doing such can be a double edge sword. Here is what often happens. A manufacture has an "ideal picture" of what they should be paying each dealer for their warranty repairs, and dealerships are compared to one another. It doesn't take much of that kind of stuff for a dealer to bring attention onto themselves before the district service manager says "hey, what's up ??? In labor dollars last month, Honda paid you this much in labor dollars last month, more then ever before, and the shop across town that does twice as much volume as you only, and we only paid half as much" ???

My experience working at dealerships comes from the automotive world. Of coarse if a mechanic sees something that is safety related, and it's warranty related, or customer pay, they are trained to bring it to the attention of the service writer, so that it the service writer can get it addressed. However, often other things are not reported. If warranty related, it'll put their warranty claims out of balance, and can cause the manufacture to begin to audit every claim. Of course no business wants to deal with that. Certainly the dealer is expected to address any customer concerns. What occurred above was where the mechanic is alerting the customer so that he can complain about it, in which case it can then be addressed. The down side of all this is that it causes mechanics to put "blinders" on (it not my job to spot that) when doing maintenance, services, and other repairs ... they become conditioned.

Here are JustWings, we have no blinders. Many times a Wing may come in for a service, and problems are spotted are covered under Honda warranty. A couple of years ago, there was a Wing in, and when I wrote the estimate, it was well over $4,000 worth of possible warranty repair needed. My first question to the customer was, do you still have any time left on his warranty ??? Awesome, here is a list of needed repair that most likely your Honda dealer will repair for you :)

When a customer comes in with a list, that can easily cause Honda to wonder what's up !!!
I tried to get them to do some thing about mine they said it is normal on the right side, sounds like a body trying to fix fender it hammers so loud, all my friends are quite 0 noise.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
I tried to get them to do some thing about mine they said it is normal on the right side, sounds like a body trying to fix fender it hammers so loud, all my friends are quite 0 noise.
What is your mileage ???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Please help me know what to listen to:

1. Do you hear it at start up?
2. Below 50 mph?
3. Above 50 mph?
4. Is it the residual sound when you turn off the motor?

Thank you.
Don’t hear it at all while driving down the road only at an Idle after the motor warms up and it comes off the fast idle

·
Registered
547 Posts
What is your mileage ???
I have complained for ever it was 8000 when I started now about 12000, I really need to know when the rep will be in the area so he can listen to it, one time they said it is the DCT I said ye wright I really need to find out who to call, I posted a video in one of my post with the noise it is only on the right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have complained for ever it was 8000 when I started now about 12000, I really need to know when the rep will be in the area so he can listen to it, one time they said it is the DCT I said ye wright I really need to find out who to call, I posted a video in one of my post with the noise it is only on the right.
What year is your bike 2019??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had my 2018 DCT at the dealer twice for the ticking. They told me the first time it was an injector. I wouldn’t think an injector can make that kind of noise the second time they said there wasn’t a fix. I will call Honda and push the issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have had my 2018 DCT at the dealer twice for the ticking. They told me the first time it was an injector. I wouldn’t think an injector can make that kind of noise the second time they said there wasn’t a fix. I will call Honda and push the issue.
Right front cyl?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Do keep the group informed, seems if some dealers are making the corrections, you just must find one that will. Don't know if you have tried or if this suggestion has been made? Call Maw Honda California and submit a trouble ticket to get the ball rolling. They will locate a dealer close to you for a look see.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
29 Posts
I wish I could find a video of someone doing a valve adjustment on the 2018 Goldwing. I want to watch and learn even if I never try it. Knowledge is power as they say.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts