GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard compared to say in an inline-4 or BMW boxer is the Wing's valve checks/adjustment? (The boxer uses a lock-nut arrangement and I've seen adjustments made in a hotel parking lot in about 20 minutes. Seriously.) And from what I understand, most inline-4 adjustments are not for the faint of heart - assuming you can get past the plastic and cooling system.

I am not a wrencher and I have no intention of doing my own valve checks but I posses morbid curiousity...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,545 Posts
Nothing to adjust on the 1800. If they get out of spec. you have to pull the cam shafts out and replace shims on the valve stem buckets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
techdude2000 said:
Nothing to adjust on the 1800. If they get out of spec. you have to pull the cam shafts out and replace shims on the valve stem buckets.
Apologies if this is a stupid question but compared to an inline-4, how hard is it to access the cam shafts on the flat 6?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
This engine has a shim under bucket design for it's solid lifters. That makes it much more difficult to adjust the valves than a locknut style rocker arm/lifter arrangement. It's also a great design because it has no rockers/pushrods. The cam engages the buckets/lifters directly.

Checking and adjusting are separate. To check, remove valve covers, release tension on the cam chain, use a feeler gauge between the lowest part of the cam lobe and valve lifter. If any need adjustment, remove cam, pull lifter bucket, measure current shim, calculate replacement shim size based on what the clearance measurement was, install the new shim, then button it back up. Folks who don't wrench much can do the check but should stay away from the adjustment. Cam are a very precision machined shaft. No putzing allowed. LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Valve Check/ajust

On the 1800 you have to relax the cam chain tensioner..tool needed or check out Fred H's videos.If the valve are out of spec you must remove the camshafts.Note....Some of the 1800's are going a lot of miles before they acually need ajustment.Maybe 60,000 +.....it is advised that you check at recommended intervals....Then you must remove the buckets and change the shims beneath them.them reinstall camshafts and load cam tensioner and reasemble everything.Hope this is what you are looking for.I just checked mine at 34,000 and they were good...Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. This is the info I was looking for.

No futzing around with the valves for me. :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valve adjustment Gl 1800

I have found that the honda manual is a little off on this subject. it refers you to pages that don't cover the subject. Anyone out there know how to get a correction made in the manual.
Is the tool necessary to remove the cam chains?

I have discussed the manual subject with people that have worked with tech manuals for years and this one isn't right.

To clarify the error is in the information reguarding the checking of current settings not the adjustment of the valves.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,545 Posts
Re: Valve adjustment Gl 1800

twowheeled said:
I have found that the honda manual is a little off on this subject. it refers you to pages that don't cover the subject. Anyone out there know how to get a correction made in the manual.
Is the tool necessary to remove the cam chains?

I have discussed the manual subject with people that have worked with tech manuals for years and this one isn't right.
What year is your bike and service manual?

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
FYI, I just did the valves on a bike with 133K miles on it. All 12 valves were off by .001 (tight), and technically still in spec. I pulled both cams, and dropped each shim one size to bring them all back to center spec. It could have been let go for a while longer, but as long as I was there, I wanted to set them to center spec.

I was really taking my time, and it took me about 5 hours total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts