GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike last September of 18 with 67,000 miles on it, I’ve done all the fluid, air filter and new brake pads maintenance on it and now it’s getting ready to turn 70,000. What have people been paying to have a valve service done.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When my 2001 was nearing 32k, I asked the dealers service manager the same question. He - with a straight face said - $800 to check and $1000+ if we find anything wrong. Brought Fred H's DVDs and did my own. Best money I've spent on my bike and have done all my own maintenance ever since. This doesn't work for everyone, but it has for me. You are close enough to Fred, at his price I'd be very happy to have him do mine. YMMV. Ride safe and enjoy the ride - and wrenching.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my 2001 was nearing 32k, I asked the dealers service manager the same question. He - with a straight face said - $800 to check and $1000+ if we find anything wrong. Brought Fred H's DVDs and did my own. Best money I've spent on my bike and have done all my own maintenance ever since. This doesn't work for everyone, but it has for me. You are close enough to Fred, at his price I'd be very happy to have him do mine. YMMV. Ride safe and enjoy the ride - and wrenching.

Crabby Bob
I to would do it my self....Except I’m in So California working for the next 18 months.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
928 Posts
Bummer - Let's hope you can find someone who will not rip you off like the folks I was dealing with wanted to do. Best of luck. Ride safe.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I to would do it my self....Except I’m in So California working for the next 18 months.
The first time a valve adjustment is performed it's prudent to remove the camshafts and check and record the size of each valve shim. This makes it easier to know what size shim would be needed to bring the clearance back to center the next time the clearance is checked.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Orange County Honda here in Ca is 400 labor + parts, on a worse case scenario if every shim needs replacement, I’m sure I’ll replace the valve cover gaskets 150 bucks for parts ?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Orange County Honda here in Ca is 400 labor + parts, on a worse case scenario if every shim needs replacement, I’m sure I’ll replace the valve cover gaskets 150 bucks for parts ?
I start recommending gaskets when they have 100K+.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts