GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the dealer says the 32k valve clearance check on a 2006 is $ 915.00. Is this a fair price and how many hours would it take for me to do this job myself?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you are fairly handy with tools (and have them) and know how to use feeler gauges, you can make your own camchain detensioners and do the check job in a couple hours. Read through the procedure a couple times in the manual, and then go for it! If you don't have the proper hand tools, either find a local 'winger willing to do it for you (for a cold sixpack) or suck it up and pay the dealer. I wouldn't put out over four hundred dollars, though. Now, if they need adjusted (doubtful at 32k), you will eat a lot more time for that. For doing it yourself, you will have to button back up and order then wait for new shims, then take it back apart to install them. He may be hedging his bets that they will need adjusted, but every report I have seen said they were good until the next check when several will need shims swapped.

I checked my own, and I'm no super mechanic, but I've never shied off from mechanical tasks.

Sorry, just noticed you are on the left coast. Probably a good deal out there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
IIRC (yeah, like that's really gonna happen!) the Honda dealer here charged me ABOUT $130 for the check at both 35K and 70K. He said it would have cost more if adjustments had been required.

Your $915 sounds just a TAD!!!!!!! high.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
THAT'S OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH !!!!

A valve inspection is between $135.-$175. and a full adjustment (replacing several shims as needed) at my dealer is about $450. total!

Go somewhere else!

·
Registered
655 Posts
:eek:4: Next time I would get a second estimate at another reputable motor bike wrench shop

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Checking the valves is relatively easy and takes about an hour or two depending upon experience. I think you should have a service manual and if you are not experienced you should have a helper with experience to guide you along. You need a set of feeler gagues, flash light, service manual, paper and pencil, some sensor safe silicone sealant, and a set of valve cover gaskets just in case one breaks. You do not have to have chain detensioners or shims to check them.

prs

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It seems the dealer says the 32k valve clearance check on a 2006 is $ 915.00. Is this a fair price and how many hours would it take for me to do this job myself?
I pm'd you. But for others, the same dealer you talked to charged me $450. I would also call JBJ in Santa Ana and get a quote.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
QUESTION: On a valve clearance check and adjustment, I understand why the tensioners are relaxed, using the special tools. My question is: Why can't the tensioners just be unbolted and removed and replaced afterwards?

·
Registered
210 Posts
That is pretty close for a California price. I was quoted $650 for the check and $850 or more for adjustment.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
QUESTION: On a valve clearance check and adjustment, I understand why the tensioners are relaxed, using the special tools. My question is: Why can't the tensioners just be unbolted and removed and replaced afterwards?

Once you remove the tensioners, you have to wind them back in to re-install. So, why not just wind them in to check. Besides, only the left one can be removed without removing a coolant hose and ABS parts. You might be able to remove the right if you don't have ABS.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
That sounds high and am sure that includes catching all the services up to date. I charge $40 to check them and $60 per side. That ends up $160.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
At that price your getting screwed

·
Registered
876 Posts
There are some very reputable dealers and independant service centers in So Cal that would do the job for much less than that. I would shake the dust from my sandles and keep walking.:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd bet that if they quoted $950 then you would get charged $950 ... whether they needed adjustment or not ... how would you know if they really did adjust them ..... that price is outragious .... my dealer quoted $180 3 years ago on my 05 to check them... didn't say anything about additional charge for adjustment.

I'd be calling all the dealerships within reasonable driving distance for quotes.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
My '06 dealer quutoed 200 but could be 600 if adj needed. I think I will just wait until they start getting loud. May be too late then but ya take your chances.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
They won't get loud. The clearance decreases as the valve receeds into the head.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
A lot of the local GWRRA Chapters have independent mechanic references that usually do excellent work at very good prices.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've checked mine at Honda's requested times, one or two were only of by .001. I now have 68,970 mile on it and nothing has changed. I use only 20-50 syn oil and change it every 4K. Seems to make a difference. BTW I never changed or added any shims!:shrug: $915 is one hell of a rip off to me!!:22yikes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts