GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the Wing just turned 35,000 miles. Should I take the time to check the valve clearances per the recommended maintenance???

For those of you who have done it or had it done, did you find anything needing adjustment???

I do my own maintenance so if it's going to get done, I will do it.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
IMO the first check is the most important one. When dealer did my first check they said all was well. I did second check and needed two shims.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Yes, why not? Its easy to check.

prs

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd say yes. It's like insurance. Should you pay your premium or skip it and save the money?

·
Registered
169 Posts
most definetly do it, they get tighter as they wear, and if they were a bit tight when assembled, you could stand chance of burning a valve if there has been a bitof wear.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
First check found two tight exhaust valves. Second check coming this week; It's 2K overdue.

G

·
I checked at 100k - all valves were perfect.
At 32k you can sure check them but I would not do a second for at least another 100k

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did mine @ 36,000. Found #2 & #6 intake shims on the tight side, chnaged two shims & brought it back to spec. Now I KNOW they're OK.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone ever heard of a burned valve on a Wing due to a
clearance that is too tight?

Good question....one I would like hear answers to.:thumbup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of a burned valve on a Wing due to a
clearance that is too tight?
I've been asking the same question for some time now and I've never heard of one.
However, I do know of a couple of Wings with over 200k on them and they've never been checked and they're running just fine.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Every bike is different. You shouldn't go by others results.
True... but, based on all I've read on this board on this subject, I'm in no hurry to do it. I have 39K on my bike, haven't given a valve check a second thought. Next time it has to go to the shop for something, I'll ask'em what they charge to do it and decide then. If they want too much, I'll be pulling Fred's video's out of storage...

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
All this talk is gonna make me nervous:eek:4: I'm comin' up on 33K.

I'll be home for most of Nov-Dec... maybe I'll check 'em then. :coffee1:
thecruiser

·
Registered
589 Posts
Documented recommended maintenance done on the Honda schedule will keep the extended warranty in place. If there is no documentation or lack of maintenance at the proper schedule, Honda can elect to decline a warranty claim.

I have never had a car, boat, airplane, tractor or motorcycle have a mechanical failure from too much maintenance.

YMMV

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like a burnt valve due to tight clearance may be a
lot of theory and conjecture that is invalid in the real world.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Documented recommended maintenance done on the Honda schedule will keep the extended warranty in place. If there is no documentation or lack of maintenance at the proper schedule, Honda can elect to decline a warranty claim.

I have never had a car, boat, airplane, tractor or motorcycle have a mechanical failure from too much maintenance.

YMMV
Good point,...:thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Registered
677 Posts
Was thinking the same thing. I have 36,000 + on mine & when I start it now it makes a noise that sounds like grubling for a few sec. then goes away as it warms up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts