GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check the valve clearance on my 05 and am confused. I know how to do the work and have the manual. But in Chapter 3 it says to loosen the cam tensioner see chapter 4 for cam removal. Well, that is the confusing part. Nowhere does it explain what loosening means. I am thinking that the center bolt is just turned out just enough to give the tensioner some slack to make it easy to check for valve clearance. But if that is done, I'm thinking the washer under the head of that bolt will need to be replaced and that means taking the bolt all the way out. Am I wrong in this thinking. Any help will be appreciated. Terry

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There is a cap bolt that needs to be removed in order to access the slotted tension screw. That cap bolt does have a washer. The washer is like other crush washers that seal the opening. The cam chain area is bathed in motor oil. When you remove the cap bolt on the left side a slight amount of oil will drip out. But like any other crush washer, such as the one on the oil drain plug, many people will just reinstall the original washer not using a new replacement washer. I have personally done that several times without issue.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You need the Honda special tool or similar to relieve tension on the chain before checking clearances for best accuracy according to Honda. For sure if you need to remove the cams you need the special tool to retract the tensioner.

·
Vendor
21,399 Posts
The left side is pretty easy because it is on the bottom of the engine. The right side tensioner is harder to relax because of its position on top of the engine, and if you have an ABS bike, the ABS motors also make access even more difficult. You'll probably want the Honda tool to do the right side.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I want to check the valve clearance on my 05 and am confused. I know how to do the work and have the manual. But in Chapter 3 it says to loosen the cam tensioner see chapter 4 for cam removal. Well, that is the confusing part. Nowhere does it explain what loosening means. I am thinking that the center bolt is just turned out just enough to give the tensioner some slack to make it easy to check for valve clearance. But if that is done, I'm thinking the washer under the head of that bolt will need to be replaced and that means taking the bolt all the way out. Am I wrong in this thinking. Any help will be appreciated. Terry
In my Service Manual it refers me to Chapter 9-7. There, it shows pictures of the required tools, according to Honda, to remove the tension on the cam chain. Here is a YouTube video that shows you what you're trying to do: Trick methods for holding the cam chain tensioner in place for removal or installation

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After purchasing the Fred Harmon's 20 Disc Maintenance Set, I'm taking the advice of several others not to worry about the cam tensioner being loose to check clearances. That will speed up the processs tremendously. I like some of the comments Fred makes while showing what and how to get things done. Things like when he makes a mistake or has to go back and redo or thankful he didn't drop something in the black hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts