GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the clearance on my 06 according to Freds video. All went well and the clearance were all within tolerances, but I may have to change out one exhaust valve shim soon. It was a little tight at .008. The riding season up here has about 2 months left so I will take care of it over the long cold winter.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Next check is another 32 thousand miles and no need to re-visit, unless you just want to.

prs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first time I did it all was good so no shims required. This time with 100,000 km (62,000 miles approx.) I may Have to do one.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
ETRider I am sure the Pomeranian helps, My two are always under foot while I am working.
Yeah. I miss her a lot. We had to put her down last year due to kidney failure. She was 8 1/2.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just did the clearance on my 06 according to Freds video. All went well and the clearance were all within tolerances, but I may have to change out one exhaust valve shim soon. It was a little tight at .008. The riding season up here has about 2 months left so I will take care of it over the long cold winter.
I spend the summers in Rockwood. My son has a house up on the hill behind the water tower. Just came south last week. Take care of that bike.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How many have ever needed to reshim at the 32K check?
I checked mine last winter at 32,000. One was out of spec. and needed shimming. A couple more were borderline so I shimmed them as well. If I had taken it to a dealer I am convinced it would not have needed anything.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
My 2006 was spot on at the 32,000 mile check.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How many have ever needed to reshim at the 32K check?
I did but my first check was at 43k.

Number 4 intake measured at .004in and the number 1 exhaust measured a loose .010in. The number 4 intake was definately out of spec. The number 1 exhaust may have tightened up but I decided to change that one snce I was going in for number 4. Besides, what's another cam removal?

Since I was going in to replace 2 shims (1 on each side of the motor), I center spec'd all the valves (all but 4 valves got adjusted). I expect if I had taken it to a dealership, they would have left it as is and called the whole thing "in spec". :?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Just checked mine recently for the first time at 76,000. All were within spec, so no changes were made. Might check them again at 100,000. :yes1:

My opinion is that the only changes that might be needed before 100K miles will be to correct any manufacturing variances. I've been watching all the posts on this issue for the last seven years and there does not seem to be any evidence that the valve clearances are because of wear. With similar mileage, only a few valve shim changes need to be made.:shock:

Or, it may be related to the oil being used in the engine. I've used Amsoil from the beginning supplied by our good buddy Bulldog. I thoroughly believe it helps. I'll let you know in another 25K miles.:lol:

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
I have seen reports here of several that were found to be out of spec on the initial check. It seems the early year editions were more prone to that. My '02 had the front right exhaust a bit under spec and two ro three right at minimal spec at initial check. Fred, I think, reported similar findings with his '02 and now SneakySnake recalls his '02 to have similar. Fred and I bith went nuts and "center spec'd" all the lash on each. That is nuts, spec is spec; but some of use are obcessive tinkerers.

IF you find one out of spec, before taking your measurment as gospel, rotate the crank through a few revolutions and check again. Even more imprortant, when you actually replace a shim make sure you remove all th eoil film from the bucket's shim recess and the surface of the stem were the underside of the shim contacts. Honda says to blow it away and those cans of dry air for electronics cleaning are very handy for that. I wipe it with lint free tissue and then blow the surface dry. If you do not do that and your oil is really good oil, your result will beout of spec to the wide side after the engine runs a bit.

Similar to Deputy Dog's inquiry, how many valve checks done after valves were found to be OK on previous check on broken-in engine were later found to need a check. My bet would be (if I were a betting man) very very rare indeed. I have 95,000 miles and next check is 15,000 away.

prs

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
When I do them, I try to center spec them all. Usually, the rider will notice a 4-5 MPG impovment on gas milage. On my Wing, I never really check mpg.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think you're right on the initial check. I don't expect I'll need to do any additional adjustments on mine now that I've centered them all.

Then again, I do use the cheapo Honda dino oil so my engine is likely to explode at any moment now so center specing was a waste. :lol:

Just checked mine recently for the first time at 76,000. All were within spec, so no changes were made. Might check them again at 100,000. :yes1:

My opinion is that the only changes that might be needed before 100K miles will be to correct any manufacturing variances. I've been watching all the posts on this issue for the last seven years and there does not seem to be any evidence that the valve clearances are because of wear. With similar mileage, only a few valve shim changes need to be made.:shock:

Or, it may be related to the oil being used in the engine. I've used Amsoil from the beginning supplied by our good buddy Bulldog. I thoroughly believe it helps. I'll let you know in another 25K miles.:lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just rolling over 32K, and planning on checking mine in the next couple of weeks. Question...............I have Fred's video and he mentioned that you don't have to use the spring tentioner tool for the cam chain. They normally check the same.

What are you finding, and do use release the tention on the chain?

·
Registered
271 Posts
4profit, really no need to check before 50k miles...no need to release cam chain tensioners to check...we suggest to our customers to check valves between 50 to 60 k miles, change air filter and spark plugs...from all the GL 1800 we have checked, we have adjusted probally 6 valves...for what it's worth...also we turn a GL 1800 transmission repair out in 3 weeks...not as difficult as made out by the experts on the board...just a little time to do the job...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Makes a difference on those valve checks to have the timing marks lined up exactly.

I use a bright trouble light and ...............bifocals. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I do them, I try to center spec them all. Usually, the rider will notice a 4-5 MPG impovment on gas milage. On my Wing, I never really check mpg.

:agree: mine had 30k and 8 were near bottom (tight) of spec i center shimmed them and my mpg went from 36-37 to 40-41

1 - 20 of 21 Posts