GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some tires mounted a few months ago at a Honda Dealer. Today went to put some beads in the tire and found the valve core will NOT unscrew. Never encountered this. In looking very close (magnifying glasses and a bright light) I see there are no "handles' on the stem, AS IF they cranked on it real hard and stripped them off.

Now I'm left with a stem center pin, with no support and now way to remove the core. What can I do?

Shall I remove the tire and take it back to them? I can't think of any way to remove the core even though I have replacements here.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would take it back and have them fix it on their nickle. How will anybody break it down to change it later?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Bummer!!! I amazed the thing is holding air or that you can fill it!!! I think you should take it back to them, but I would be curious as to what their reaction will be. Maybe it's a good shop with a bad mechanic. The only thing I can think of that might make it easier to remove the stem would be to let all the air out to relieve the pressure on the rubber seat. With the tire full of air pressure, you'll never get it out. You might be able to spin it out then with a small jewelers screwdriver. That's all I got!! Good luck.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Chances are the mechanic had nothing to do with it. If he replaced the stem why would he have removed the core in the new stem. He would have just installed it and aired up the tire.

They will have to cut it off behind the core to let the air out, break it down and install a new stem. No othey way I can see around it.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
A good shop would always replace the valve stem...a not so good shop might not. They would then have to unscew the stem to realese air and then screw it back in. Who knows. I have certainly run into enough bad ones, both motorcycle and car. I do all my own work, including tires. That way I know exactly who to blame!! But I fix all my mistakes for free!!

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Have the stems replaced and check their work.

kmassey; when a tire is aired-up to seat the beads, the stem core is supposed to out of the stem so that max volume can flow to help assure a full seating of the tire beads.

prs

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Have the stems replaced and check their work.

kmassey; when a tire is aired-up to seat the beads, the stem core is supposed to out of the stem so that max volume can flow to help assure a full seating of the tire beads.

prs
You're telling me a joe mechanic at a shop is going to take the time to do that. I don't think so.
Kurt :nojoke:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I used to be a 'Joe' mechanic back in the 70's. We had to remove the core to get enough volume of air to get the beads to seat on the rim. No way you could many of the tires I mounted any other way. I do admit that some of the wing tires I mounted I could fill with the core in.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They sell a tool to remove broken valve stems. It works well and is cheap, around 5.00 or so. It has rethreading dies to do the inside and outside of valve stems and an easyout tool that fits in the small hole where the little needle goes. snip the needle tip off with side cutters and insert the removal tool and unscrew. USUALLY works well.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a photo of the broken stem (left), and one from my spare that is normal (right). You can see the "shoulders" of the stem are GONE!

this does not make any sense as I backed my other one off, them back on and I can't imagine the force it would take to shear this off if it were not defective or someone used a wrench.

Must be a fluke.

anyway it is off the bike and on the way to the shop for repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Putting the spare on while I have time, and I'll take the strange one in later this week.

thanks.

BTW: do you think that tool would fix this now having looked at the photo??

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Broken core remover tool will get that out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep, you own a broken Schrader valve! I would take it back to the installing dealer and let them fix it. The earlier comment about removing cores for first airing up and bead seating is valid. Any good shop will do that. Faster fill too. I got in the habit when working with tubed tires. Lets the wrinkles out of the tube... Telling my age here I guess.:eek:4:
I would never replace a tire (or even repair one) without replacing the valve assembly. BEST insurance there is.
As to how the valve core was damaged? Hhmmm... Does "Tiny" work in the tire shop? From the pic it looks like a physical damage issue (too much a$$) versus manufacturing defect--ragged edges, bent over, etc... I suppose one could be bad from the factory but any compentent wrench should have noticed it at re-install--IF it was ever removed.
My .02. YMMV...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim.

It is all your fault!

I told you awhile back, to ride out to my place and I would have done the install for you.

My deal came with room and board to boot.

Your Loss.....LOL

Make "Them" fix it!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BULLDOG, as soon as I have the time to travel cross country for a set of tires, I"LL be there! I promise.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
When we mount tires we ALWAYS remove the core to seat the beads. Then insert core and add required PSI for bike and tire.

·
Registered
693 Posts
tire valve

If you are close to a A.C. supply you can get a core removal tool. I think auto supply shops sell them too. They are very cheap and work great. I have removed many cores and always succesful.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Absolutly it would work, the hardest part is cutting off the spring loaded tip so the core remover can get into the hole. Up here we have a store called Princess Auto which is almost the same as Harbor Tools. I am sure they would have that in stock.
From your pics(very good by the way) for sure they got carried away installing the core. The wings will break off if too much torque is put on it(a LOT of torque) before it strips out the threads of the core. Way back when I works on semi tires, it would happen fairly often in demounting the tires, you would find them broken off or just one side broken off. A real PITA but almost always fixable.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts