GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my front tire valve cap and immediately could hear air escaping. I tightened the valve core and the air quit escaping, but it wouldn’t take any air unless I loosened the core then tighten it again when I was finished.
When I had the tire installed a month ago, I also had a new Cyclemax valve stem installed.

So do you suppose the core is bad and I just need to put in a new one? Can I remove the core and install a new one without loosing the seal on the wheel?
I can get over my head fairly quickly working on the wing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
934 Posts
Quite possibly a bead for jammed in it. I have had it happen where I was checking tire pressure. Needless to say I could not stop the deflation until I got my air compressor up and running. A shot of air back in and it stopped and air up to 36 psi.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Unfortunate, but those filtered cores will not fit in a T-Valve stem.

You can remove the offending core; might look like this:

Bead can be dislodged, however, there's no guarantee that the core will properly seal once it is.

Solution: you should have a pressurized compressor running when you check the horizontal valve. Hit the valve first with a bit of air to dislodge the chance of a bead being stuck.

Once no longer stuck, check & adjust pressure as required; reinstall cap. While you have all the stuff out, do the other tire at the same time. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had dyna beads and found when I checked my tire pressure they would become stuck in the valve core, it was a little cumbersome when on the road.
As a fellow a GL1800 pointed out to me, they make a filtered valve core to eliminate the issues of the dyne beads becoming stuck when checking tire pressure.
Though I’m not sure with new style of valve stem you have installed now, the filtered valve core is longer and requires more area of a straight stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you use the commercial Dyna Beads you don't have to worry about them clogging the stem. They are little larger in diameter. I don't think those fill through the stem kits will work with them though. You have to break the bead on one side and pour them in. Have been using them for years and never had one get caught in the valve.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When dealing with dynabeads and regular valve stems this is a normal occurrence on occasion. All the advice was exactly what needed to be done. Had to deal with this several times. I took the beads out, however I will be adding them back AFTER I order the specific valve stems to prevent this unnecessary headache. glad it worked out ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
tberger53, those are the same valve stems I use with my tpms and really like them. However with the recent new tires I have added counteract beads believing others that they are better than dyna beads. I'm not sure about that but they seem notorious for getting into the stem and lodging then selves while checking and adding pressure. You do have to hit it with added air to dislodge the bead. Kind of freaky the first couple of times it happened.

I'm changing back to dyna beads commercial size over the winter. Never had a problem with them. They are much larger size then the motorcycle size beads or the counteract beads.

Where can you get replacement valve stems for the T valve stems. They are really short.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

Install Dynabeads through the stem.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tberger53,
Where can you get replacement valve stems for the T valve stems? They are really short.
When I installed the new core, I noticed it was longer than the one I removed. I suspect the longer will work as long as the other connected stem has a short core. I think two long cores would hit each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts