GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of black valve covers due in any day now, was curious what the experiences have been from this group on the need to change the gaskets every time the cover is removed.
Are folks installing new gaskets at each valve check? This not just a remove and replace the cover like the valve check, it would of course require removing the old gaskets and moving them to the new covers.

Can the gaskets be safely removed from the cover with out damage, I know they are not that expensive, and certainly do not want a leak, but why change them if they can be swapped over?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I use #2 Permatex to cement the gasket into the valve cover, No Permatex between gasket and head. I have never changed gaskets and never had a leak. I remove them each winter to check valve clearances. My 02 still had the original gaskets when I sold it with 350,000 miles on it.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
It depends on the age of the bike and condition of the valve cover, but I'm normally able to reuse them on bikes that I do valve adjustments on. I'd say I have replace about 1 out of 10. The only place you're supposed to use sealant is on the half moons.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
It depends on the age of the bike and condition of the valve cover, but I'm normally able to reuse them on bikes that I do valve adjustments on. I'd say I have replace about 1 out of 10. The only place you're supposed to use sealant is on the half moons.
In all the time and miles I had on my 2002, I replaced only the left gasket once. I still have a spare set on my peg board and need to give them to the new owner. When I placed the sealant, it was only on ends of the "half moons", a sweat pea dab is too much, a grain of white rice is too little, but Daisy BB dab is about right. ;-) Take it easy on those cover bolts, the female threads on the heads are not very robust.

prs

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Year ???
Mileage ???
2013 with about 70K miles

I have removed the right side without to much trouble, I have new gaskets in case I need them, hope to be putting new valve covers on today or tomorrow.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
2013 with about 70K miles

I have removed the right side without to much trouble, I have new gaskets in case I need them, hope to be putting new valve covers on today or tomorrow.
Newer, younger gaskets have lots of resilience. Unless the gaskets are young (yours aren't), and because to reuse them means fitting them into different covers, I would replace them. I'd treat the mounting rubber washers under the bolts heads, that are needed to keep oil from leaking under the bolts, the same. Sorry, but be sure to replace all 11. Part #21. Also, when Honda moved to Japan, they started using black RTV instead of HondaBond #4 around the 1/2 moons and in the 1/2 moon corners. Be sure to seal that area with RTV too.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/50bd2c16f870022a6884f3f4/cylinder-head-cover

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greg,
Good info, but to late I have already reassembled with the original gaskets and washers, time will tell if I will need to tear into it again, not a terribly hard job to do.

Any ways I have completed the install of the new black valve covers and painted logo covers. A while back I was looking for input from anyone that purchased valve covers from Hong Kong, I did not get any info as I recall, so I took a leap of faith and purchased a set,I have posted my my comments in that thread along with some photos. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/449541-tcmt-valve-covers.html

Anyways, here are some pics of the installed covers, I still need to install my wind wings and forward pegs after they are cleaned up. Also included is a photo of one of the valve covers that made me want to make the change and being the impatient person I am I did not want the bike to be down while the covers were off being refinished, that is why I bought new replacements, in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks to all that replied with wisdom on removing and installing the covers.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts