GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Goldwing and am replacing the stock valve covers with aftermarket covers...the originals had the 1800 trim held in place with Velcro...the new covers don't have the Velcro....it covers a seam that I need to cover...I called the honda shop locally and they claim that it is bolted on but I know its not....I am thinking about trying 2 faced gorilla tape that claims it is heat resistant up to 248 degrees...if someone knows of a better way or know where I can purchase this type of Velcro..it would be a great help...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
3M tape like Murgie suggested, but when you attach it, attach it to the cover that goes over the spark plugs. That way when you do plugs, it's not sticking to the valve cover and making things difficult. If you want to make it more removeable, try 3M Dual Lock tape. It's like an industrial strength Velcro.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well,
What you see in the pics is, a set of 2002 valve covers on a 2008 Wing. When I had my '02, I had the stock valve covers chromed and, when I sold the '02, I transferred the chrome valve covers to the '08 I bought. I can't remember just how the center pieces are held on. They look like screws or bolts but, very easily could be as you say, Velcro or, double faced tape. It's been years since did the change-over so, sorry I could not be of better help.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I recently did what you are doing, my valve covers had a lot of corrosion, so I got some black aftermarket ones. The emblem covers were held on with double sided tape, so I used 3M double sided tape to put them on the new covers. They been on for about a year and no problems. I took the time to paint the lettering red, I bought an extra set of emblem covers and had my OEM covers powder coated gloss black so now I have an extra pair just in case.

Just be sure to clean both surfaces very well with alcohol and I generally use 3M adhesion promoter when ever using double sided tape, it really works well. You can find individual packets on Amazon.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You could install RIVCO Aeropegs instead.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I absolutly hate those stick on plastic chrome covers that go over the valve covers. If you ever adjust your valves or change your spark plugs, you'll find out why real fast.
I'm not sure what you mean, Fred. I've replaced plugs several times and done three or four valve adjustments in the past several years and I have yet to experience any problems with those chrome GL1800 escutcheons.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, Fred. I've replaced plugs several times and done three or four valve adjustments in the past several years and I have yet to experience any problems with those chrome GL1800 escutcheons.
I think Fred is referring to the aftermarket stick on covers that cover the OEM valve covers, not the logo bars the come on the OEM covers.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think Fred is referring to the aftermarket stick on covers that cover the OEM valve covers, not the logo bars the come on the OEM covers.
After rereading it, you are most likely correct. It caught me off guard because that was not the subject being discussed. I can certainly see why they would be objectionable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts