GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's GL1800 has an obvious valve clatter noise at idle.

Easily verified by pressing a sounding rod (wooden rod) against the valve cover when the bike is running and sticking the other end in your ear. (No pun intended.)

When discussing this noise with a mechanic at my local Honda dealer one day, he said that I might be confusing that noise with a sound caused by a bad fuel injector. Really?!?! Yes, I know that the fuel injectors are positioned right on top of the cylinder heads, which is fairly close to the valves and cams, but really?

I've never personally heard the sound of a bad fuel injector on a GL1800, but I would imagine it would be more of a clicking noise rather than the typical clatter that a valve in need of adjustment makes. I would also think that the two noises would be at a different "rate" if you will, i.e. valve noise would be at a synchronous speed with the cam, and fuel injector noise at a speed in synch with the firing of the spark plugs. Two different speeds for sure. I would also think that the pitch of the valve noise changes with engine speed, but the fuel injector noise would not change pitch.

Does anyone have experience with the sound that a bad fuel injector on a GL1800 makes? Can you tell one sound from the other by pitch, rate, or other any other property?

Also, anyone ever had a fuel injector fail on their bike?

Thanks all for your experience on this.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Valve lash gets tighter as the miles pile on.
So I don't think your hearing the valves.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,479 Posts
:agree: Unless something has come loose or there's an oil flow issue on a particular valve they usually tighten up, not get loose. The fuel injector opens everytime the intake valve for that cylinder opens, so the ticking they make will follow the camshaft speed as well. Not too sure about it being a bad injector, because alot of them tick or click when running normally. Does the bike have a miss while riding or does the cylinder with the noise have a spark plug that looks different from the others? These would be a clue to a valve of injector issue.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Try a dose of Techron or Seafoam. I use Seafoam a few times a year. It is supposed to be excellent for the fuel system, injectors, etc.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'nm still curious if someone can describe the difference between a fuel injector noise and a valve clearance noise.

Plus another question:

Wouldn't a bad fuel injector, or an injector going bad, cause the FI light on the dash to turn on?

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
They actually sound pretty similar, although I have not heard the clatter of loose valves on this particular engine. It is pretty easy to check the valves to see.

prs

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They actually sound pretty similar...
prs
So, if a fuel injector is making enough noise to be heard at idle, does that mean it's bad and has to be replaced?

Or, might you run a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank first?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,479 Posts
I'nm still curious if someone can describe the difference between a fuel injector noise and a valve clearance noise.

Plus another question:

Wouldn't a bad fuel injector, or an injector going bad, cause the FI light on the dash to turn on?

Not necessarily, it depends on how it fails, open all the time, closed all the time, clogged and not spraying right, not opening completely. These failures give different symptoms and the ECM isn't "smart" enough to detect all of them.

Just FYI, my 04 has had ticking injectors that come and go since day one and she runs fine. If I let my bike sit for a week on the sidestand, I can hear the "dry" valve train on the right head tap just a little at start up. It usually only does it for a second or two. The injectors tapping comes and goes whenever it wants to, hot or cold, no rhyme or reason to them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just FYI, my 04 has had ticking injectors that come and go since day one and she runs fine. ...<snip>...The injectors tapping comes and goes whenever it wants to, hot or cold, no rhyme or reason to them.
Same here on my '03...36k miles. One on the left bank is louder than the others but I can pretty much hear all of them. I thought it was the alternator/drive at first but it's definitely coming from the head/valve cover area. I think the GL injectors are about the loudest I've ever heard of all the FI vehicles I've owned.

IMO, they sound VERY similar to ticking rockers/pushrods/lifters, maybe just not as deep or metallic sounding but pretty close.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I know this may sound stupid but..

while you are moving press down on the top of your windshield and see if the noise stops.
Been there, done that.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
My Wing clicks loudly when it is cold, not so bad when it warms up...it's the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
noise ,clatter

I have an 08 and I have the clatter/noise you describe and premium gas makes it all go away...smoother acceleration, idling ,...passing is a breeze...no noise...don't really know the origin of the noise but I know what helps it go away.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
mine too but you can only hear it when you are near the valve covers, not when standing near it or sitting on seat,, normal engine noise

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an 08 and I have the clatter/noise you describe and premium gas makes it all go away...smoother acceleration, idling ,...passing is a breeze...no noise...don't really know the origin of the noise but I know what helps it go away.....

:joke::wrong:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you can't run regular without pinging you have a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts