GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Garmin TPMS sensors on my '04 Goldwing.
Given the extra weight of the cap on the valve stem, I would think the holder would be a good thing when encountering bumps. However, the holder keeps coming loose from the rim. For some reason, the rear wheel seems just fine.

Any suggestions on how best to hold it in place?

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
You should never use those on a rubber stem. Ever. I'm not sure about the kind you have but I switched my stems to all metal with rubber washers and completely removed those holders. If there is any play at all in that stem where you think that holder is required, remove the TPMS immediately and don't use them again until you get new stems. The results of continuing to use them could be disastrous. :oops:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Please remove the rubber stems at your earliest convenience. They are one of the three or four things Honda has done that are categorized as REALLY bad ideas. What you have there is a problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
I installed these from cyclemax.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wish I knew about these when I replaced my stems. I like the idea of not having to remove the TPMS caps to air up. Oh well. Now when someone asks I'll have some better advice. 👍

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a couple of the T valves on order. Hopefully, they will get here in time to replace before my trip and get a shop to swap them out. Tires still have a few thousand more miles, but sounds like it is not a good idea to wait that long!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You should never use those on a rubber stem. Ever. I'm not sure about the kind you have but I switched my stems to all metal with rubber washers and completely removed those holders. If there is any play at all in that stem where you think that holder is required, remove the TPMS immediately and don't use them again until you get new stems. The results of continuing to use them could be disastrous. :oops:
My f6b doesn't have tpms, but I don't have to worry about it - I noticed it always coming loose and got tired of always reinstalling. I was worried about it damaging the valve stem, so I took it off and with a rat tailed file, widened the hole so it wouldn't get cocked and wedge against the stem. Problem solved! It fell off on the next ride!

·
Vendor
19,999 Posts
Yea I know, some won't like my answer, but you asked.

1st, the valve stem are only designed for the weight of a plastic valve cap. 2nd, be sure to only use OEM parts installed in their correct locations. To me your valve stem does not look OEM, and if it is, the brass one goes on the rear, and the chrome looking one goes up front. Also, inspect those plastic supports, as they age they do wear out.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
The retainer that is coming loose is worn at its slot area, replace it. I was a very early adopter of metal bolt in Schrader valves. I still used the retainers, but that was just folly. With your rummber based tips DO NOT use that kind of TPMS transducer without the retainer, the rubber will stress crack in short order.

prs

Reactions: Walrus

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a rubber mounted stem to crack on a 1500, it was a pain to get it home.

Do the TPMS sensors have O-rings that need replacing, how do they seal?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The TPMS sensors I use have O-rings inside the cap, which is removable to replace the battery. The set came with a few replacements, as they are very thin.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I installed Garmin TPMS sensors on my '04 Goldwing.
Given the extra weight of the cap on the valve stem, I would think the holder would be a good thing when encountering bumps. However, the holder keeps coming loose from the rim. For some reason, the rear wheel seems just fine.

View attachment 370598
Well, ya could get a small zip tie and tie the stem to the holder, or replace it with a metal valve stem and not worry about it.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
For $24 on the next tire change you can just show them to someone!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah... Kind of a waste though. I may be selling that gold 2006 before the next tire change anyway.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Had to argue with the first shop that changed my tires. I wanted metal valve stems and they insisted on installing new rubber Honda 90-degree ones. Thankfully, I won.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts