GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valve stem leaking. Went down to the local service station to pump a bit of air in and the air was leaking from the stem core. Run flat got me home. I have a spare valve stem so my next move is to get a stem removal tool and change it out.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Coldwing, did you hit it with a shot of air a couple of times? Might be a dynabead blocking the core and not letting it close and seal.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I would pull the valve core and check it first!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
valve stems

Advance or AutoZone sell both pkgs of cores and the removal tool. Don't leave home without both of them on board.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up fellows. I caged it down to Advanced Auto and bought a $2.00 valve core tool. I gave the core a few tightening turns and I can't swear to it ..........but it " felt " like something settled in as the valve pin popped out and stopped the flow of escaping air. It was actually only down to 28 psi by the time I got it in my driveway. Could not count that as running on flat! Oh well. Since the pressure was stabilized I rode up to my Goodyear Dealer and we checked the torque on the valve stem core with a professional tool set at 4 in. lbs torque and filled it to 36 psi. at a warm tire temp. After four hours of sitting still the psi. was holding at 34.5. Was it a Dyna bead or a valve core issue ? One never knows do one. :shrug: Thanks Richard for being there when I called.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I discovered one thing: My $9 digital tire pressure gauge from Pep Boys is not to be relied on. I have been getting psi reading from 30 to 34 for the last couple of days as I have been monitoring the pressure as the bike has sat on the center stand. I took it over to Don's house today with the intent of changing out the stem core. I left my house with a reading of 30.5 psi., drove a mile to his house, used two different gauges of his and got readings about 36 psi. That's the pressure I had it filled at the Goodyear Station on Sunday. That settles that. Goodbye pressure gauge.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about that Murgie. I'm getting an AccuTire gauge tomorrow to put this discrepancy to rest either way. Love the tire though.Best thing I put on the Wing besides the grip puppies.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I thought car tires WERE grip puppies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts