GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
#412 lawnmower / gocart style very short!!!!!!!!..chuck..if you want I will measure mine!!from rim to tip......

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Have you tried to tighten it up? If so replace it they're cheap and easy to change. T.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
T MOORE said:
VALVE STEM LEAKING AGAIN. ANY IDEAS
It would help if you told us where it's leaking and if it's a stock 90 degree valve stem? If at the rim, you have to change it... are your keepers installed correctly, or do you even have them? If the core is leaking, try taking it out and inspecting the seal area on it and in the stem... could have some crud on it or a burr. You may be able to repair it or get a new core. If it's rally damaged, you'll probably have to change the stem.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
T MOORE said:
VALVE STEM LEAKING AGAIN. ANY IDEAS
Assuming the stem was installed properly, sometimes it helps to remove the core, apply a small amout of bead grease (or soapy water), then re-install core.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VALVE STEM LEAKS WERE THE RUBBER AND ALUMINUM MEET. THE PLASTIC KEEPER IS IN PLACE. PLASTIC KEEPER ALWAYS COMES LOOSE AT 120 TO 130 MPH FRONT WHEEL ONLY. I HAVE REPLACED IT AND DEALER HAS REPLACED IT. PLEASE NOTE I DON'T DRIVE THAT FAST VERY OFTEN. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought some 90 deg solid metal stems with rubber washers and double locking nuts at the Wing Ding in Nashville and they are great. I have not had any problems with leaking stems as I did before.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have wire ties around my stems and the plastic retainer to prevent any movement. Just checking the pressure flexes the stem inside the plastic retainer, the wire tie holds the stem tightly against the plastic retainer. I've never had a stem failure or lost a retainer.

In your case, the only fix is to remove the tire and replace the stem with whatever you decide to use. Doing 130 MPH after several stem failures sounds pretty risky to me.

·
Vendor
22,233 Posts
I put zip ties on my stems so that they can't flex. The problem is that the hole in the keeper is oval and allows the valve stem to flex down toward the rim at higher speeds. This flexing causes the rubber grommet to fail.

Cracked rubber seal on valve stem

Zip tie around stem and keeper holding them together.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yup, exactly the way I do it. Nice pictures, Fred.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not to steal this thread, but why havent y'all changed over to the short straight stems?? Had my front tire changed out yesterday and had a short straight chrome stem placed on the front wheel. Fella tells me it never need to be changed.
Any comments on these from Y'all??

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got the same thing you do. No flexing, and it it gets loose, get a wrench.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
goldwingnut said:
I bought some 90 deg solid metal stems with rubber washers and double locking nuts at the Wing Ding in Nashville and they are great. I have not had any problems with leaking stems as I did before.
Happen to know the brand or vendor?

thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
azjerry

I'm sorry, but I don't remember who the vendor was. I know it's not an excuse, but the place was packed when I was there and I stopped at about 90% of the vendor booths. I really don't see having any problems with them in the future but I would buy a couple more to just have on hand if I could remember. They were $4.00 each. Should have bought a hand full...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I presume you had this valve stem installed not too long ago???

What I've seen is:
these 90degree stems are very easy to pull through and rip if not pulled straight. This is tougher than it sounds since the 90degree part wants to pull the rubber part at an angle. I use a piece of wood to wedge between the stem and the rim and pull gently. Lube on the rubber will help it seat in the rim without excessive force.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seen some Stubby aluminium valve stems that have about a 20 degree to horizontal stem at my local tire fitter, looks like I'll have to turn them to the right to avoid the clip holder.
Like the new BMW method, the stem is fitted to one of the alloy spokes.
Jas

1 - 20 of 28 Posts