GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the front and rear wheel use the same valve stem? What vendors sell the 90 degree metal ones?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
:agree: Get the 90* Patchboy's:thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have never liked the plastic right-angled valves Honda uses on the Wings, as you have to hold the back in order to push an air hose onto them.

I spotted these on the 2012 models in Hollister Honda recently, and they look MUCH better:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Now that is a hefty looking *******! I wonder if they will be available as an accessory for older GLs?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
valve stems

I just dropped off a dozen I bought for my local bike shop that changes my tires. $38. and change including shipping.
Just buy a dozen and sell the rest here on the forum ( very quickly ). Took about 3 days to get here.

Put 17-562 in the search box on Patchboy's web site.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Does the front and rear wheel use the same valve stem? What vendors sell the 90 degree metal ones?
Hi Red! They are the same, except the OE rear one not plated and costs more, go figure?!?!?! I "think" the ones BUllDog and Meesh sell at Shinoples are the same as the ones from PatchBoy, but the shipping can be way better with Shinopples - PatchBoy must not like going to the post office!

prs

·
Registered
88 Posts
I read reports of OEM valve stem failures, most upsetting to me! Based on recommendations here on the forum and my follow up research I went with the solid metal stems from http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm front & rear. It's great not having to hold the OEM 90 degree stem airing up the tire and checking pressure. Very high quality and safety. See their Website for full information and ordering info.

NOTE: You will need to slightly chamfer the "T" on the 1800 wheels (for the OEM plastic stem holder) for installed clearance with a dremel tool (or similar) and an appropriate aluminum cutter. Only takes a few minutes. I did that vs cutting it completely off in the event I sell my Wing and a new owner wishes to go back to the OEM type stems & holders. Even still, no issues using an air chuck with the "T" still in place.

P.S. I've also read reports that using aftermarket TPMS sensors can promote (at least) OEM valve stem failures. Apparently it has something to do with the addl inertia of the sensor flexing the rubber stem to the point of failure over some period of time? I'm not running with a TPMS on my 03 yet but that's on my radar screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the "motorcycle anchor" ones (even though they are a little pricy) but I am going to go with the "patchboy" ones from bulldog. He sells them for about the same as from Patchboy and is cheaper on postage. Bulldog is a good guy and he did me a "solid" :thumbup: a while back. May try to buy some other stuff at the same time.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep plain rubber $1.29 a pair
Geez you're killing me here! I respect being frugal, I truely do! But decent quality valve stems are just as important as high quality tires on an 1800, maybe even more so. Any tubeless 2-wheeler for that matter. To each their own but I won't gamble my hide on a valve stem failure on a 900 lb Wing at speed.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Just checking the pressure on the rubber stems (including the upright ones) will cause you to lose air as you will hear the PSSSSSSST near every time you apply the gauge to them.

This simple fact will cause you to add air often to the front tire because the tire is so small.

Solution to this is SOLID 90° stems and a digital tire gauge. The solid stems will have you checking the pressure with fewer (if any) PSSSSSSSST occurrences and digital gauges use only about a cubic millimeter of air to achieve a reading.

I have gone to a digital gauge and patchboy stems and I have not had to add air to my tires since October.

I even modified my Accutire gauge so that I can readily expel air from the tire should I be too exuberant in adding same.

G

·
Every time you check the pressure some air leaks out so...........
Stop checking the air pressure every five minutes and you will never have to check again. :lol:

Besides how can you change oil every day if you keep wasting time with all that air!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read reports of OEM valve stem failures, most upsetting to me! Based on recommendations here on the forum and my follow up research I went with the solid metal stems from http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm front & rear. It's great not having to hold the OEM 90 degree stem airing up the tire and checking pressure. Very high quality and safety. See their Website for full information and ordering info.

NOTE: You will need to slightly chamfer the "T" on the 1800 wheels (for the OEM plastic stem holder) for installed clearance with a dremel tool (or similar) and an appropriate aluminum cutter. Only takes a few minutes. I did that vs cutting it completely off in the event I sell my Wing and a new owner wishes to go back to the OEM type stems & holders. Even still, no issues using an air chuck with the "T" still in place.

Have these on my wheels for the past 6 mos with no problems. Pressures seem to be ok longer than with oem stems..:yes1:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have never liked the plastic right-angled valves Honda uses on the Wings, as you have to hold the back in order to push an air hose onto them.

I spotted these on the 2012 models in Hollister Honda recently, and they look MUCH better:

This stem is for the TPM that's on the '09' - '12'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This stem is for the TPM that's on the '09' - '12'.
Yes those are certainly the metal stems Honda uses for the later model Wings with the TPMS. I looked it up on DLH for a 2010, the stem and necessary sensor that apparently the stem threads(?) into is priced at $202.33 (times 2 for each wheel).

I noticed there is a rubber grommet listed for beneath the stem (also sold separate for $7.14), which begs to ask how many years service do you suppose before the grommet might harden and leak air?

Then IF the design is similar to Japanese autos that I am familiar with, good luck getting the stem and sensor separated without ruining both due to normal corrosion and electrolysis. Hmm... Service could get expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just checking the pressure on the rubber stems (including the upright ones) will cause you to lose air as you will hear the PSSSSSSST near every time you apply the gauge to them.

This simple fact will cause you to add air often to the front tire because the tire is so small.

Solution to this is SOLID 90° stems and a digital tire gauge. The solid stems will have you checking the pressure with fewer (if any) PSSSSSSSST occurrences and digital gauges use only about a cubic millimeter of air to achieve a reading.

I have gone to a digital gauge and patchboy stems and I have not had to add air to my tires since October.

I even modified my Accutire gauge so that I can readily expel air from the tire should I be too exuberant in adding same.

Yes I agree metal stems that don't flex are easier to check pressure and less prone to inadvertant air loss because of it. You know I've tried a couple different brands of digital gauges and didn't have much luck. They seemed to work good for awhile, then began giving me erractic readings. Guess I'll have to try another brand again...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts