GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should the valve stems be changed on the bike rims.
On cars they recommend everytime you change tires

·
Registered
124 Posts
JOKS, you're probably correct that you should change the stems each tire change. I probably change them about every 50,000 miles, which is not very smart on my part, but thats just me. The plastic thing that holds the stem is another matter, however. I've already replaced one and only have 29,000 on my 2001.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Each time I've chagned the tires on my 1500's or the 1800 the guy that does this for me puts a new stem in...... at like 1.50 each... I know he's making an extra buck on it..... but you know...... it's tha margin of safety that counts....

JIm

First big ride of the season this weekend...

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
jelag said:
Each time I've chagned the tires on my 1500's or the 1800 the guy that does this for me puts a new stem in...... at like 1.50 each... I know he's making an extra buck on it..... but you know...... it's tha margin of safety that counts....

JIm

First big ride of the season this weekend...
FYI....OEM stems are approx $13 each! Generic stems were $16! Go Figure!

Where are you finding $1.50 stems?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dealer says to install new valve stems at least every other tire change. He charges only $8.00 extra for each stem replacement.

Sounds like good advise and a fair charge.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The front stems are $3.52, rear $8.25 from HDL. Took me almost a month to get them. I'd like to come by some of those dollar two ninety-five ones.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
You actually mean to say they ae different parts? Dang!

prs :shock:

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
fortsand said:
The front stems are $3.52, rear $8.25 from HDL. Took me almost a month to get them. I'd like to come by some of those dollar two ninety-five ones.
other than price what could possibly be different between front and rear valve stems? Last time I bought a valve stem at a local dealler I don't remember being asked if it was for front or rear use but it cost $10.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I ordered according to the parts fiche, different part numbers for front and rear. There are actually three numbers listed for the rear, but two of them are superseded to the other one. There are two numbers for the front, but one of them is not stocked at HDL. Must be chrome. Got that!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts