GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a odd question but I have been wondering something. Every now and then when the engine is idling one or more valves on one side of the engine start to make a very noticeable ticking sound. The sort of sound that says…HEY I AM NOT GETTING ANY OIL. Its just like the sound you hear when engine have big gaps in the tappits and you get that valve ticking sound. This sound comes and goes…even when the engine is running and warm and has been running for some time, the ticking starts…then 5 to 10 seconds…some times a little longer it stops. Its random and I do not know why its doing this…like as if there is no oil, or no oil pressure…comes and goes….has been doing this on and off for the past…about 2,000 Km. The bike a 2010 GL1800 with 18,000 Km’s on it that I bought new…! First owner. Anyone have any idea what this is….or is this normal for the Gold Wings…this is my first one so have no idea whats normal and whats not for this bike.

P.S. The OIL LIGHT does...." NOT " come on during this time...oil levels are right...low oil levels is NOT a issue here. By the sound and how it comes and goes...seems like random oil pressure dropping very low pressure for a few seconds....or oil passage to valves on one side is pluging up....with what..have NO idea...bike is NEW..! Have had it for 5 months now.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
It is probably an injector. They sound similar and often mistaken for a excessive valve gap. Since you are indicating that it is multiples and on one side, to be safe, you might want to check your valve gap.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I agree that the tickitty-tick is more likely injector noise than excessive lash. If it is excessive lash, it is probably harmless, inadequate lash is harmful. But, I like to know they are spot on.

Before going in to check the valves before a scehduled service interval (you have been keeping-up, right?). See if the ticking is lessened or changed by using a fuel system cleaner such as "Techron Concentrate" for a tank full of fuel or two. A 1 oz dose of TCW-3 (Two Cycle Water cooled, version three) oil per 5 gallons of fuel can really quieten injection noise, but should have no effect upon valves (well, uness they vavles are really caked with carbon, then it might reduce that carbon load as it has very effective detergents). I would not add TCW-3 routinely, nor MMO or other snake oils for that matter, but this would jus be a diagnostic test of perhaps dubious value ;-) .

prs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, lets say its a INJECTOR....why would it be ticking in the first place the bike is NEW 5 month old now...I have just put 18,000 Km's on it...started with ZERO on the clock. I am OLD SCHOOL...if it does not have a carb on it...I am screwed sort of thing.

I know what injector are all about, but thats on a Diesel engine, use to work on them in my younger days. On board deep sea ships mostly.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
another thought

MJ,

If I were you, I'd do a thread search for the sympton that you are describing. It seems that there are more than a single cause for the ticking you've described. Since we can't hear the ticking sound ourselfs, it might be something other than injecters, but even if it's injecters, everything I've read says that is fairly normal. Another possibility, in some cases, has been clutch basket noise. This is usually noticed when engine is ideling and the tran is in nuetral. I believe the test is to pull in the clutch and see if that stops it. Do you only here the sound with the moto in nuetral?

Richard

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Injector noise is noticed on OE Honda products because the engines are otherwise so QUIET. Even is running with "lubricious" fuel they click audibly and the click changes as fuel pressure varies or the fuel temp varies. Alcohol blends reduce fuel lubricity. That is why the TCW-3 can reduce the tick, it adds lots of lubricity. But, so far as I know, the racket is harmless to the bike, if not your mental health. On the other hand, it is not difficult to check the lash between the buckets and lobes; its just probably not the problem.

prs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that clutch noise...! I pull in the clutch and all is quite...let out in nutral...and its really noisy....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Jerry,

It's the injectors. For sure. They all do it. Mine has done it for 8 years now. It can't be valves, your bike is new. The valves on a Wing get tighter, not looser, so you almost never hear valve noise. The injectors are kind of loud, and the bike is very quiet, so you tend to hear them more.
As a rule, a Goldwing, especailly a new one, is just bullet-proof. Unless you get an overt, egregious failure like the tranny blowing up, or the rear end blowing oil all over the place, whatever you hear is normal.
We are starting to see some age and wear related issues in the older bikes, '01, '02 etc like bad pulse generators, iffy contacts in some of the connectors, and so on, but you have a long, long way to go before any of that becomes an issue.
There are a number of nuisance things like the infamous decel wobble, or sticking anti-dive valve that you might encounter, but a real show stoppers like engine problems are incredibly rare, maybe even non-existant on a new bike.

So go forth, ride, enjoy!

=Dave=

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerry,

It's the injectors. For sure. They all do it. Mine has done it for 8 years now. It can't be valves, your bike is new. The valves on a Wing get tighter, not looser, so you almost never hear valve noise. The injectors are kind of loud, and the bike is very quiet, so you tend to hear them more.
As a rule, a Goldwing, especailly a new one, is just bullet-proof. Unless you get an overt, egregious failure like the tranny blowing up, or the rear end blowing oil all over the place, whatever you hear is normal.
We are starting to see some age and wear related issues in the older bikes, '01, '02 etc like bad pulse generators, iffy contacts in some of the connectors, and so on, but you have a long, long way to go before any of that becomes an issue.
There are a number of nuisance things like the infamous decel wobble, or sticking anti-dive valve that you might encounter, but a real show stoppers like engine problems are incredibly rare, maybe even non-existant on a new bike.

So go forth, ride, enjoy!

=Dave=

I have the clutch rumble when its neutral, stops as soon as I pull the clutch in. My old bike had that as well, my VT 750 honda shadow but that only started once I had like 50,000 + Km’s on it. The wing…clutch rumble is louder then my shadow. The anti-dive I already hate that things…! I hate it when I have to go over a speed bump and have to hit the brake…feels like I am going to take the front forks out of the bike on some of the speed bumps. I try to release the brake just before I hit it, but sometimes I can not do that as I have slow down some. The guy that invested speed bumps…now there’s a guy I like to kick in the butt so hard that it will take a team of proctologists to retrieve my shoe…not that I would want it back after that. But the thought of a team of proctologists having to hunt for it has a sort of…satisfying feeling to it….LOL….

The wobble…yup…got that too but only notice it at very low speeds, usually slowing down it hits at about 25 to 30 MPH area..( 30 to 50 Km/h ) This is my second set of tires on this bike the OEM ones..( DUNFLOPS ) got badly cupped and so on in a very short time…and I do mean short..! In just 2000 miles they were cupped and by 5,000 mile they where howling. They were Dunlop D250’s. Have Mets 880’s on it…LOVE IT..!

I do wish the suspension on the wing would be softer, I find it hard sort like a sport bike, well this is NO sport bike so why have so hard….what ever…

Then about some 7,000 or 8,000 Km’s ago I started hearing that random TICKING sound, reminded me of cars with a hydraulic lifters that were going bad. In all likelihood it’s the injectors, I use to add a little 2 cycle mix oil to my Shadows tank to make like a 200:1 mix to off set the alcohol in the gas as some gas station here have as much as 15% of it in there gas. And when I use to do some heavy touring on my shadow I would take some 2 cycle oil with me just for that reason so that when I had to pick up gas and it was one that had 10 or 15% gas alcohol mix I would add a little to help the valves out from the drying effects of the alcohol. Plus I noticed that the engine ran a little smoother as well with a little mix in it.

I am still getting use to this wing as its my first one…and all its little sounds it makes that has me wondering….ok..now what is this..!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Jerry, I'm old school too, old enough to remember to add marvel mystery oil to every tank of gas, and pour some in the carb for good measure.

but then, i still own a 51' ford with a V8 flathead too....

about your noise :shrug:, i got no clue....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have the clutch rumble when its neutral, stops as soon as I pull the clutch in. My old bike had that as well, my VT 750 honda shadow but that only started once I had like 50,000 + Km’s on it. The wing…clutch rumble is louder then my shadow. The anti-dive I already hate that things…! I hate it when I have to go over a speed bump and have to hit the brake…feels like I am going to take the front forks out of the bike on some of the speed bumps. I try to release the brake just before I hit it, but sometimes I can not do that as I have slow down some. The guy that invested speed bumps…now there’s a guy I like to kick in the butt so hard that it will take a team of proctologists to retrieve my shoe…not that I would want it back after that. But the thought of a team of proctologists having to hunt for it has a sort of…satisfying feeling to it….LOL….
I agree.. the speed bump guy should be sentenced to going over speed bumps on a rigid frame harley with a springer front end for 20 years with no rest.
The anti-dive can be disabled. You should put stronger springs in, which the bike needs anyway.

The wobble…yup…got that too but only notice it at very low speeds, usually slowing down it hits at about 25 to 30 MPH area..( 30 to 50 Km/h ) This is my second set of tires on this bike the OEM ones..( DUNFLOPS ) got badly cupped and so on in a very short time…and I do mean short..! In just 2000 miles they were cupped and by 5,000 mile they where howling. They were Dunlop D250’s. Have Mets 880’s on it…LOVE IT..!
The tires cupping and the wobble are all related to the wing's suspension. Do a search on Traxxion, and on RaceTech and you will get hundreds and hundreds of opinions. (I have opinions too, but am getting kind of tired of flogging that poor dead decomposing horse) Your Metzlers will cup, too. It's the suspension. or lack of suspension, I should say.
The wobble can be defeated by installing tapered roller bearings instead of the too small ball bearings that Honda uses. The bearings are about $45, but they are a lot of work to install.

I do wish the suspension on the wing would be softer, I find it hard sort like a sport bike, well this is NO sport bike so why have so hard….what ever…
Actually, the suspension is too soft, and very poorly damped, so it bottoms and tops out a lot. That's the wham-slam kidney busting backbone snapping thud you get (or more to the point, your pillion gets) when you go over a good dip or bump. the rear spring is, I think, a .7 (?) We put 1.2 on the rear, or 1.1, 1.0 of the customer is looking for a plush ride. Once you hit 20K miles, or maybe sooner, your shock has given up any pretense of providing damping. A new shock and spring do wonders for this bike. In fact, a lot of people just ride the bike from the show room to a traxxion installer. The next Wing I get will have better suspension instantly. A good suspension is both compliant and controlled. It doesn't need to be hard and jotling. (this poor horse is getting to be a quivering lump, isn't it?)

I am still getting use to this wing as its my first one…and all its little sounds it makes that has me wondering….ok..now what is this..!
Feel free to ask any time. Once, I was a newbie too.. this board and a couple of others really helped me. I'm glad to pass it on.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9 (Gold Wing Bling Bling Associaton)
rocketmoto.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts