GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In need to check my valve clearance’s, what is the tool called so I can order one. I use to use metric feeler gauges back in the day on my 900 Custom and V65 Saber.

Thanks for your help.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
For ABS Tensioner holder A 07ZMG-MCAA300

For non-ABS Tensioner holder B 07ZMG-MCAA400

If the goal is to have faster start-ups, better throttle response, smoother running, and possibly improved MPG, be sure to center spec the valve clearance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, It takes a few revolution to start whether it’s cold or warm up, also I bought this bike with 67k and getting ready to turn 70k. I have no idea of the service on it so I need to check them and form my own base line of service. Just one more thing to check off my list of my services. By the way mine is an ABS.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Thanks, It takes a few revolution to start whether it’s cold or warm up, also I bought this bike with 67k and getting ready to turn 70k. I have no idea of the service on it so I need to check them and form my own base line of service. Just one more thing to check off my list of my services. By the way mine is an ABS.
To set an expectation, a well maintained Wing will have a healthy, short, crank-over-time in like 2-secs, maybe less !!! Long is like 4 or 5. Usually, any of the following will be the cause:

- a bad or weak battery
- incorrect spark plugs, or ones with more then 20,000 miles on them
- gas additive, or having old gas
- valves that are not set to center spec

I would start with having the battery tested. A healthy battery will crank over a Wing quickly even after its been sitting for more than 30 days. Honda says somewhere, either in the Owner's Manual or Service Manual to replace the battery as PM every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
To set an expectation, a well maintained Wing will have a healthy, short, crank-over-time in like 2-secs, maybe less !!! Long is like 4 or 5. Usually, any of the following will be the cause:

- a bad or weak battery

I would start with having the battery tested. A healthy battery will crank over a Wing quickly even after its been sitting for more than 30 days. Honda says somewhere, either in the Owner's Manual or Service Manual to replace the battery as PM every 2-3 years.
What, precicely, is "center spec"?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
What, precicely, is "center spec"?

Thanks, Robert.
Setting all the intakes to 0.006" and the exhaust to 0.009"

The goal is to have equal combustion to all cylinders. Just as much air/fuel mixture in, and spent exhaust going out on all. Also, the reason Honda engineers set the valve adjustment interval at 32k, is because they know that over any 32,000 mile period of time, the most any valve will/can go out of spec is +- 0.001".

·
Registered
225 Posts

The goal is to have equal combustion to all cylinders. Just as much air/fuel mixture in, and spent exhaust going out on all. Also, the reason Honda engineers set the valve adjustment interval at 32k, is because they know that over any 32,000 mile period of time, the most any valve will/can go out of spec is +- 0.001".
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. On my BMWs you always went to the max clearance since they close up with wear. It was a bit more difficult since there were four valves per cylinder.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Scouter, Having done that with your BMW, I have complete confidence that you'll find the GL1800 a piece of cake!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Scouter, Having done that with your BMW, I have complete confidence that you'll find the GL1800 a piece of cake!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I hope so. I've got 20,000 miles till I have to figure it out.

Reactions: Retired60mech

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. On my BMWs you always went to the max clearance since they close up with wear. It was a bit more difficult since there were four valves per cylinder.

Robert
Wow ... what cc is that and how big are those pistons ??? 5th gens are a little under 3.0". Those engine looks like it has huge ones.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow ... what cc is that and how big are those pistons ??? 5th gens are a little under 3.0". Those engine looks like it has huge ones.
1200 four cylinder.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
1200 four cylinder. Dual overhead cams make it look bigger.

Robert

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

- a bad or weak battery

It cranks over fast, I already changed the plugs and I do not run gas additives at all. I ride this bike everyday...30 plus miles 5 days a week. I’ve been using Union 76 89 as it seams to perform and better fuel mpg then it does on 87. On 87 it will average 34mpg and on 89 it will average 35+ off cruise control @ 70 mph. I would say it’s in that 2 second area for firing off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

- a bad or weak battery

So if 0.006 for intake and 0.009 thousands is optimal, what are the spec tolerance’s for a 2012 ABS....

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
So if 0.006 for intake and 0.009 thousands is optimal, what are the spec tolerance’s for a 2012 ABS....
For all 5th gens (2001-17) the intakes are 0.006" (+- 0.001) and the exhaust is 0.009" (+-0.001).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you very much for this information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts