GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the valves done last weekend, an 06 with 46000 miles.
All were in spec, but replaced 3 shims due to, a little on the tight side.
Probably won't check again until 100,000.
Runs like a raped ape!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I did check my valves first time at 48,000 miles. The exhaust were all OK and 3 of the intakes were tight by .001 inch. I left them be. I will check again at about 80K. Plugs had 48,000 on them also and looked new. Put in new ones anyway.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
You guys have not listening to Fred,and that is probably not a bad thing either!

You know most people don't no how much .001 is! I know it ain't much and will have no effect on the performance of a motorcycle engine unless you are racing a GP bike.

·
Vendor
17,828 Posts
You guys have not listening to Fred,and that is probably not a bad thing either!

You know most people don't no how much .001 is! I know it ain't much and will have no effect on the performance of a motorcycle engine unless you are racing a GP bike.
If you center spec them all, you will notice an improvement in gas mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valves

Yes, this was the first time. Some time back I spoke with a honda tech with many years of experience.
He said, never had one out of spec @ 32,000 miles.
He also said, yours could be the first.
His suggestion was to check them around 50,000 and then again @ 100,000.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you center spec them all, you will notice an improvement in gas mileage.
:agree: i just did mine (using Freds video and Honda manual) @ 30k found 8 valves .001 on the tight side still within spec but changed shims one size smaller, gas milage went from 37 to 39. i think they should be run on the correct clearance, if you let them go being .001 tight, in another 40k-50k they might be out of spec and you may burn a valve

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Checked mine at 33,000 and they were good.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sorry to hear you were in prison.

Having mine checked at 43k (first time). :biker:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have never had the misfortune to see a "raped ape" so i will take your word on it .. :lol:

cosmic

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't buy a 1832cc, 930lb. motorcycle for gas mileage! When the light comes on, fill it up!:thumbup:
but it is not done for 2 mpg better it is done to avoid costly repairs later on, it is known as preventative maintenance, making replacing and adjusting things before the wear is a problem, or show stopper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts