GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
A guy from the North calls. His complaint ... no left channel from his audio cord. A major GW dealer had replaced the audio cord, and narrowed it down to the audio unit after swapping it out with a known good one. The dealer was saying he needed a new audio unit, and he was hoping I knew where he could get a used one.

Apparently the dealer didn't know that Honda has an authorized repair center for their audio stuff. They'll need to acquire the appropriate paper work, fill it out, and send the unit off to the correct authorized repair center for repair. What I did was email him the forms, so he can direct the Honda dealer on what needs done. If anyone needs it, attached is the paper work that I have, but it is out dated. Hopefully Honda still has authorized audio repair centers.

Here is why Ford, Chevy and even Honda Powersports does it this way. If it's a warrantee repair, Honda cannot afford to replace warranty units with new units over a possible $3 capacitor. So in this case, Panasonic, the makers of the radio, has a Honda authorized repair center for their Panasonic audio units. In this case, his audio unit will probably get shipped Panasonic's repair center in Los Angelos, CA.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Kevin a local, and new to the GoldWing world, calls and comes by to show me his new Wing. He'd called a few months ago wanting info on buying a used 2008. I don't remember all the details ... older guy selling it, it was located on the east coast of Florida, and think it had 25k on the ODM. I'm sure the seller says all the usual stuff ... "it's well cared for" ... "always garaged !!!"

Anyway, I warned him about buying a use 5th gen, that it could have a transmission problem, and not having at least a year Honda warranty just in case. So he backs out of that deal, and brings his newly purchased NOS 2016 level one. I think he paid $15-16k for it.

He really likes his new Wing !!! It's that 3-colored black/silver/gold. Unfortunately missing in his paperwork is his PDI sheet :( So it probably did not have the coolant, brake and clutch fluid changed, prior to taking delivery of it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I bought my new-old stock 2017 in Huntington Beach California, I had to specifically request a PDI sheet. Had I not asked, I would never had seen it. Perhaps it is not normal procedure to include it in the sales paperwork unless requested.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
When I bought my new-old stock 2017 in Huntington Beach California, I had to specifically request a PDI sheet. Had I not asked, I would never had seen it. Perhaps it is not normal procedure to include it in the sales paperwork unless requested.
Yours probably says "customers copy" at the bottom.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yours probably says "customers copy" at the bottom.
Actually, it doesn't. It is a scanned copy of the signed "On-Road Motorcycle Set-Up and Pre-Delivery checklist (California)" form.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Actually, it doesn't. It is a scanned copy of the signed "On-Road Motorcycle Set-Up and Pre-Delivery checklist (California)" form.
I'm sure California's is different. The only copy I have is form Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I get a call from a guy who's gone through 3 alternators. The first being the OEM one, then he ordered one of those bargain basement ones from off the internet which failed 6 months later, which was warranted for another that didn't make it that long. Finally he's ordered another one from Honda. Hopefully his charging system will be working again for years.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
2008 Air-bagger BLK with 98k

Just received a call from a customer who had his Wing stollen in the Ocala, FL area. Here are the details. His Wing was in for repair a few weeks ago. It was also discovered that he needed are new rear tire, in which case he'd purchased a used rear tire/whl assembly that I happened to have acquired. However, he didn't install it right away, and about a week later he had a flat. Apparently he got a ride home, grabbed his tire/whl only to return to where his GW was parked to find his Wing missing.

Although I occasionally hear about a stollen Wing, it does not happen often.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Two call on 3 transmissions today. The last one was a guy with a trike in ND with only 20k on his ODM. The other was from a guy who is looking to purchase a 5th gen, and both Wings he is looking at have known transmission problems. I think he was saying they were selling for $3,200. I told him I wouldn't pay more the $1,500. He said he read on some forum that Honda's transmission problem affects about 4% ... WRONG ... probably more like 15% at least. As 5th gens age, even higher.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I just found and read through this entire thread. Great read. It reminds me of "Ask Smokey," an automotive column from a long time ago written by Smokey Yunick in "Popular Mechanics."

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I just found and read through this entire thread. Great read. It reminds me of "Ask Smokey," an automotive column from a long time ago written by Smokey Yunick in "Popular Mechanics."
Thanks ... unfortunately most of the time I forget to post my daily stuff here. I remember Smokey Yunick from Popular Mechanics too !!!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
15%? Seriously? Asking for a friend...

·
Registered
472 Posts
So Greg, having now read the horror stories and facing the prospect of going to sleep tonight with nightmares about my 2006 transmission.....and remembering the GL1800 frame cracks, rear brake master cylinder and transmission issues......

In the 2 1/2 years that the New (2018+) models have been out....any emerging problems of that sort? Not talking about pilot errors, or key fob trivia or such, but true, real substantial issues that might be a sign of problems to come.....

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So Greg, having now read the horror stories and facing the prospect of going to sleep tonight with nightmares about my 2006 transmission.....and remembering the GL1800 frame cracks, rear brake master cylinder and transmission issues......

In the 2 1/2 years that the New (2018+) models have been out....any emerging problems of that sort? Not talking about pilot errors, or key fob trivia or such, but true, real substantial issues that might be a sign of problems to come.....
Other then the right switch assembly sometimes needing replaced for a no start situation, I know of none.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
A guy calls from up north saying his starter spins, but it is not turning the engine over. My first questions had to do with climate, then about synthetic oil, then about if it's an aftermarket starter. Indeed, it's an aftermarket starter :(

For anyone thinking aftermarket starters, or alternators, or starter relays will work, go here

·
Registered
909 Posts
A guy calls from up north saying his starter spins, but it is not turning the engine over. My first questions had to do with climate, then about synthetic oil, then about if it's an aftermarket starter. Indeed, it's an aftermarket starter :(

For anyone thinking aftermarket starters, or alternators, or starter relays will work, go here

Why would the bike up north have an aftermarket starter? Does this indicate the OEM starter failed prematurely?

If it did then it proves that OEM Honda parts are junk and it's documented in this case.

Isn't this how the thought process went that lead to the belief that the aftermarket is junk? The truth is without knowing the exact history and part failure history little use can be taken from anecdotal experience.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Why would the bike up north have an aftermarket starter? Does this indicate the OEM starter failed prematurely?

If it did then it proves that OEM Honda parts are junk and it's documented in this case.

Isn't this how the thought process went that lead to the belief that the aftermarket is junk? The truth is without knowing the exact history and part failure history little use can be taken from anecdotal experience.
Good points ... if you want, you can post your phone number here, and I'll have all the ones who call here, call you too. That way you can share your thoughts directly with them, and also see various trends. In this case the frequency and short life aftermarket starters have when compared to OEM starter.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Bruce called from upstate NY. He has an 2001 with 95k. Over the phone, it sounds like his alternator drive gears (ADG) has gone bad. I gave him a link to my youtube page with various noises in hopes he can use those recorded noises to compare with his. He reports that when turning his Wing off that the noise trails to 0-rpm's also. That's often a tell-tale sign of ADG failure.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts