GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
No ... it is worth fixing but they don't have the money to put into it to sell it, and there are very few out there willing to purchase it to fix it. If it were fixed, because it has 128k on the ODM, he'd most likely have to continue to drop the price to finally sell it. Many say Wings last into high mileage, which they do; however, that does not mean that many are willing to buy a Wing once one get over 100k. If it had less mileage, the situation would be completely different.
How much would you think was a reasonable guess to fix it?

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
How much would you think was a reasonable guess to fix it?
If he wants add'l machining to correct his issue, at least $6,300 + tax. Since it's trophy winner at most shows, dealing with all his lighting and accessories will cost more.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
If he wants add'l machining to correct his issue, at least $6,300 + tax. Since it's trophy winner at most shows, dealing with all his lighting and accessories will cost more.
So, with ancillary costs, around $15,000.00 for a working trike? That doesn't sound like a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Greg, I'm sure there are big chunks of truth, that may be hard to swallow, for anyone with a GW that develops transmission problems, out of warranty. But you are a GW 'doctor' so all you see are sick GWs. Perhaps your view is tainted, kinda like some in the medical field who begin to think the whole world is sick. Put another way: regardless of your full time work, and years of doing it, you only see a tiny fraction of the GWs out there, and they's all sick. For every GW that develops transmission problems, whether 4000 or 400,000 miles, there are likely MANY out there that are doing just fine. Unless Honda has collected data, the world may never know the MTBF (mean time between failure) of all GWs that have failed transmissions. Then too, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of thousands of them out there, that have not failed yet.

Agree, it may not be economically feasible to repair a GW transmission, unless the owner is wrench, or it has sentimental value, as the OP has hinted at. But again, how common is the problem among the many out there?

Not ready to throw away, or do a panic sale on my 2008 GW, with 82,000 miles on it. I also doubt that every used GW for sale, is because the seller is trying to dump it due to a failed transmission. Regardless, if looking for a used GW or any other motorcycle, it's always buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I purposely try to stay off interstate highways. There are many days when I never get up into 5th gear. Just tell the owners of these ghost shifting transmissions to stay off the highways and the bike will be fine ;).

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Dealer says they've never head of a 5th gen with a transmission issue

I just returned a call from voice mail. Tony, from somewhere up north, is the owner of a 2005, 2-whl 5th gen, with 77k on his ODM. He is currently standing in a Honda dealer. He's complaining that at times his 5th gen ghost shifts from 3rd to 2nd. The dealer was not able to duplicate the issue, and is telling him parts were no longer available (that means they don't want to work on it). They also said they'd not heard of a 5th gens having transmission issues (that means that if they did want to work on it, choose another shop). Also, he'd just bought it from someone for $6,700.

My advise, do not continue riding it, and since it's not reproducible, sell it like it was sold to you. Don't by another 5th gen unless it comes with at least a 1-yr Honda warranty. The used market is flooded with them !!!

If a rider has passion or sentimental value towards a particular Wing, or if the Wing is newer and more worth fixing, they are fixable and parts are available. However, usually the 2001-05s, unless it's a trike, are not financially worth fixing. The 2006-09s possibly, and the 2010-17's are easier to justify the expense. The last one I repaired was a 2013 F6b.

For everyones benefit, I should list all these calls but I forget too. There has been several of these in the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think if my '02 ever develops transmission issues, I'd junk it rather that going through the trouble of attempting to have it brought back to normal. Just not worth to me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think if my '02 ever develops transmission issues, I'd junk it rather that going through the trouble of attempting to have it brought back to normal. Just not worth to me.
Before junking it I would see what I could get from a Honda dealer on a trade-in. The dealer, like the one Greg described in post 106, may find that it's an issue that can't be duplicated. It ticks me off that Honda knew ghost shifting was a potential problem long before doing something to correct it. It appears if not's a safety (liability) issue, they don't care.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Before junking it I would see what I could get from a Honda dealer on a trade-in. The dealer, like the one Greg described in post 106, may find that it's an issue that can't be duplicated. It ticks me off that Honda knew ghost shifting was a potential problem long before doing something to correct it. It appears if not's a safety (liability) issue, they don't care.

I hear you Jack but at this stage of my life, I'm not sure I'd be enthusiastic about buying another ride; but I'd think long and hard about it. Wife would have some influence too..

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm the exception here. Before I bought my 2008 Goldwing on eBay back in 2012, I was well aware of potential ghost-shifting. I ALWAYS try to do my due-diligence and research as much as can to feel comfortable about purchases.

I was "high-bidder" on a bike I'd never seen before and I made the two-day, one-way trip to Little Rock to pick-up my Prize.

The reason I didn't worry about the tranny was because:

1) Many people assume a problem is more prevalent than it really is because of what they perceive as "too many corroborating posts".
2) There was some "guy" down in Florida that seemed to know what he was talking about regarding the "expensive" fix.
3) I joined this Forum shortly after patriating that US model here in Canada. I soon found out that "GoldWingRGreg" was that Florida guy.
4) I've enjoyed his posts ( well...mostly ) ever since AND HAVE MAINTAINED MY COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in his abilities to fix my 'wing.

I've even done some preliminary research into how to get a Goldwing or at least the engine/transmission down to him if need be.

I ain't NEVER, EVER gonna pawn a known frigged-up Bike on anyone...especially any transmission problem that I have already made contingency plans for.

The only thing I worry about is if JustWings goes out of the transmission repair business before I die or need repairs.

Many thanks, Greg!
Opps ... was going through these threads and accidentally put a bolt title on top of yours. Sorry ... didn't mean to and erased the title.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Greg, Ronnie here, (Springfield , Mass.) wife and I visited you last year... Thank you for your warm hospitality again........

Question: I trike'd out my 2010 (Roadsmith) last season.....(NO PROBLEMS AS OF YET) BUT, How much extra stress does adding a trike kit to a bike actually occurs? I am a very slow rider, that does not push the limits, rides the posted speed limit, not race it, I am a Oil/filter replacement junky, clutch fluid, replaced, air filter replaced (very bad by the way after only 25,000:crying:)... BUT does adding a trike kit, actually cause any more unusual stress on a bike???

Can you tell, if it does cause extra stress, and what I should be looking at to keep up with any additional repairs????????????? thank you for any help or suggestions you may have!!

Ronnie
Sorry, like the post above, I tried to put a title on yours too. I removed it.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
In the last 2 days, I think I've have 5 calls from owner's who recently bought 5th gens only to discover that they have transmission problems. One guy bought one that didn't start because the battery was dead.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
A guy with a 2016 with 10k on the ODM just called. He says his transmission is extremely bangy, and he often finding the false neutral between 4th and 5th.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
After only 10k?
Yes ... 10,000 miles. He brought it used with 2,000. The lowest mileage one that I've repaired has less than 4,500 miles.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Yes ... 10,000 miles. He brought it used with 2,000. The lowest mileage one that I've repaired has less than 4,500 miles.
What causes a Goldwing transmission to go so wrong in so few miles?

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
What causes a Goldwing transmission to go so wrong in so few miles?
Honda uses a high/low dog design, and sometimes a shift is made into a low-dog. A "low-dog shift" has little dog contact to carry the forces needed to stay in gear. One of 4 things can occur. It can stay in gear, the 2/3 slider can slip-out just enough to hiccups, or burp, into a high-dog and continue on, it can slip out and into a false neutral, or it can slip-out with such force that the 2/3 slider moves into a 4th gear shift. In either case, dog wear starts to occur making the next time it is rode, it'll be a little more likely to do the same.

101 - 120 of 161 Posts