GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a dealer yesterday and saw a GL 1800, F6B and the new Valkyrie all parked next to each other. By the time you get down to the Valkyrie you are looking at pretty much all engine and minimal motorcycle (looks pretty uncomfortable and impractical too, but certainly a V-Max for the 21st Century). I assume all are the 1832 cc engine but I wonder if they have the same ECU setting? How about gearing? Is it any easier to get to the Valkyrie air filter?

Also got to thinking we might as well consider the GL 1800 engine and design will be around for a while longer if they keep putting out more models with the same engine. Then again is it possible Honda overproduced the engine and is looking for other designs to put it in before an all new model for the 40 year anniversary.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I was at a dealer yesterday and saw a GL 1800, F6B and the new Valkyrie all parked next to each other. By the time you get down to the Valkyrie you are looking at pretty much all engine and minimal motorcycle (looks pretty uncomfortable and impractical too, but certainly a V-Max for the 21st Century). I assume all are the 1832 cc engine but I wonder if they have the same ECU setting? How about gearing? Is it any easier to get to the Valkyrie air filter?

Also got to thinking we might as well consider the GL 1800 engine and design will be around for a while longer if they keep putting out more models with the same engine. Then again is it possible Honda overproduced the engine and is looking for other designs to put it in before an all new model for the 40 year anniversary.
Their all the same spec on the website, all 9.8:1 compression. Awesome motor in smaller bikes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just wondering...

I saw the same at my local Honda shop. From what I can see the frame and swing arm are the same to all models. I wonder if the sub-frames are any different (the back section). I can't really tell from the pcitures. The forks are different - the valk does not appear to have the anti-drive junk or the coupling between front and back.

Just wondering...
...gene

·
Registered
293 Posts
You're comparing the new Valkyrie to a Vmax??? :confused:
Yeah. I saw that. I think he was....it made me chuckle...kinda comical, huh?
Anyone that has ever owned, or ridden, the "bad to the bone" Vmax got a chuckle outta that one.
The Valk might/maybe out-corner the Max depending on the rider, but don't get in the way on the straight stretch!!!! BTW, they STILL make that beast. I saw, and sat on, a brand new one on the dealer's showroom floor when I bought my '14 FJR back in November. I really thought about buying it for a second.....then I remembered......I stuck with the FJR.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah. I saw that. I think he was....it made me chuckle...kinda comical, huh?
Anyone that has ever owned, or ridden, the "bad to the bone" Vmax got a chuckle outta that one.
The Valk might/maybe out-corner the Max depending on the rider, but don't get in the way on the straight stretch!!!! BTW, they STILL make that beast. I saw, and sat on, a brand new one on the dealer's showroom floor when I bought my '14 FJR back in November. I really thought about buying it for a second.....then I remembered......I stuck with the FJR.
I just got rid of my 09 Vmax before I got the Goldwing. I have also rode the new Valk about a month a go. There is nooooooo comparison between the two! The Valk will not out corner the Vmax. The Vmax has more clearance and both the front and rear suspension are 3 way adjustable: 1. Rebound 2. Compression and 3. Dampening. As for power, I had velocity stacks w/4 K&N filters, a slip on exhaust (still had factory head pipes) and the ECU reflashed, the result: 197hp & 126lbs of torque. A full exhaust would have put it at the 205-210hp range. On top of that, the Vmax is about 60lbs lighter than the Valk. I've had the Vmax to a 181 mph (indicated)...I don't think there's any other cruiser on the market that can match the Vmax's performance. So, if you think about tangling with a Vmax...you might want to reconsider...you will get beat and beat bad!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I would love a VMax but I would break the heart of my dependable but ancient '86 Magna V65. In her day ...:lol:

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you ever get the chance to ride a new Vmax...don't decline the offer. It is unlike any other motorcycle ever made!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The V-Max is in a class of its own. The only thing "close" is probably the B-King.

It's ok if the Valk is not comparable to the Max, it still looks nice. I sat on one yesterday. I'd sure like to ride one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The V-Max is in a class of its own. The only thing "close" is probably the B-King.

It's ok if the Valk is not comparable to the Max, it still looks nice. I sat on one yesterday. I'd sure like to ride one.
Yeah, the B-King was pretty close...maybe even slightly quicker. But, due to its lack of "character" or "soul" it just didn't last. Just a de-tuned & stripped Hyabusa really. If you want to ride a Valk...then ride one. The dealer has usually at least one for test rides. When the F6B came out and the new Valk...I had absolutely had no intentions of buying one. I just said "give me the keys" and they let me ride it. Besides...word of mouth is the best selling tool out there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts