GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Wing has veered rapidly to the right since day freaking one! It's been back and forth to the dealer. It's had new 2 new sets of tires. It's had a suspension upgrade. I've called to Honda and complained. The service guys have been back and forth through the bike from end to end. I've tried resetting the front axle myself. Nothing. No improvement. Well, when they did the suspensions upgrade, it veered right faster!

Well, last week, I switched from the standard Bridgestone tires to E3s, and while they were at it, I had them put in MBL risers. The wide ones. Suddenly, the veering right is gone. Now the bike is neutral on the highway. I can go neutral on the bars, even let go of them completely, and the bike goes straight. It might drift a little left. It might drift a little right. But I can lean over in the saddle and make the bike ease on over where I want it.

What the heck happened?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might have been the tires, but I had two sets of Bridgestones on there. The first set went 8,000 miles. I got 10,000 miles out of the second set. Both sets veered hard right. Anyone else with Bridgestones having this problem?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
2012+ bikes veer right because Honda decided to eliminate the tool kit that was stored in the left saddlebag. :joke:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Might have been slightly tweeked in the steering head. Loosening and tightening the handlebars might have shifted it a bit.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Might have been slightly tweeked in the steering head. Loosening and tightening the handlebars might have shifted it a bit.
I agree. Not familiar with what is involved in installing risers, but on my CB750F, there was a slight pull to the side. I took it back home and raised the front end up and loosened everything holding the forks, including the stem nut. I didn't loosen things so much so that the front end was going to drop out of the trees, but just enough to smack things around with a dead blow hammer. tighten things a bit more, and smack it around again and tighten up a bit more. Did this like four times and did the final torque on all the bolts. I also made sure that as I was tightening things that the stem nut was torqued first, getting the triple trees spacing right before the fork bolts were tightened. This gets the forks in a natural parallel alignment and the stresses of any twisting in their mounting is removed.
I can now ride it hands free and no worries about swerving left or right and no shake.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I'd suspect a cable routed wrong.
.. got routed right when the MBL's were put on.

Don't lock the bike at night.
Keep the handlebars straight.
If you keep them turned hard every night the left side cables relax and the right side cables stretch.

Then when you ride, the left side cables are pulling back harder than the right side.

.. If you pull back on the left side of the handlebars, which way does the bike want to turn?

my two cents
Dennis

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
risers

I'm betting that the risers caused some rearranging of your cables and wires in the area of the triple trees. That eliminated the tension that had been causing your problem originally.

Richard

·
Registered
253 Posts
My guess is they loosened a cable or harness on the bars to get enough slack for the risers.
I agree. My road glide pulled right and the dealer did everything they could to fix it. Even had a factory harley rep align it with no,luck. By chance I looked at a road glide on the floor and the clutch cable was routed differently so I asked them to change mine. Fixed it. I t was probably a cable or wire that was putting pressure on the steering.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
For sure, veering to the right is not a known issue of the Bridgestone front tire. Well yet, anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.