GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Jerry here. My coworker and I, along with spouses, are renting bikes in Vegas Friday and riding down to the canyon. Any suggestions, must see's?
Jerry :excited:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dress WARM................rain/snow predicted on Sat, 2/7 & Sun 2/8, with lo temps in the teens to hi in the 40's. This is for the So. rim. No. rim's closed.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vegas

We are going Friday from Vegas to Hoover dam, then down to southern rim and back to Vegas. Is snow really predicted?
jerry

·
Registered
792 Posts
Keep a eye to the sky, it can get real bad at the south rim and cold ( ice snow ). Are you going to make it a one day ride or two day? That would be a really long day ride and if the roads are bad in the the canyon( seen both good & bad ) at this time of year. Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vegas

single day ride, kind of a once in a lifetime thing and since my company is footing the bill for me to be in vegas, I have to go when they say.
Jerry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Grand Canyon Village AZ
Enter Your "City, ST" or zip code NWS Flagstaff, AZ
Point Forecast: Grand Canyon Village AZ
36.05°N 112.14°W (Elev. 6803 ft)Mobile Weather Information
En Español
Last Update: 1:51 pm MST Feb 3, 2009
Forecast Valid: 3pm MST Feb 3, 2009-6pm MST Feb 9, 2009

Hazardous weather condition(s):

This Afternoon: Sunny, with a high near 56. East wind around 8 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 23. East wind between 10 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 59. East wind around 9 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Southeast wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Thursday: A 10 percent chance of rain after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. South wind around 9 mph.

Thursday Night: A chance of rain before 11pm, then a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Saturday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

Saturday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.

Sunday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Monday: A slight chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a high near 43.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
watch the weather but betting dollars to donuts I'd bet you'll be ok.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
single day ride, kind of a once in a lifetime thing and since my company is footing the bill for me to be in vegas, I have to go when they say.
Jerry
I'd be worried about road conditions. I know the weather can change very quickly near the canyon. It's definitely a site to see though.

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
We are going Friday from Vegas to Hoover dam, then down to southern rim and back to Vegas. Is snow really predicted?
jerry

Friday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Saturday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

Saturday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
Man, I hope you're bringing cold weather gear :eek:4: Looks like another normal winter day in the northern AZ mountains. You might want to read that hazardous weather outlook link.

Now...288 by Google Maps one way; nice, easy ride. From Vegas to the Canyon, you'll be going up in elevation about 4700 feet, though, so, yeah, snow is a real possibility. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If your leaving Vegas and going to the south rim, you better plan on renting the bikes for 2 days. Its about 5 hours each way so you wont be back before the Harley shop closes at 5. When I was there in September, we rented bikes on a Weds just before they closed. We rode around Vegas that night, and all day the next day, riding to Red Rock Canyon and Mount Charleston. We wanted to also go to the Valley of Fire but didnt have enough time. We will do that when we go back in March.
We drove the next day by car to the south rim and its a long long ride. You might be able to go to the west rim, its a bit closer, about 2 1/2 hours from Vegas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vegas

We are picking up bikes at 9am on Friday and turning them back in Sat morning. I am nervous about the cold though (Floridian). My co worker is from Columbus, oh. and is more concerned with rain.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Get a Wing with heaters or you'll freeze your bums! It's gonna be gold in AZ this weekend. Big cold front off the coast that's supposed to be here this weekend. You might want to reconsider the bikes and stay put in Vegas.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do a vegas to canyon by air tour, the tour companys fly small groups, they have a car at the canyon airport and drive you around the so rim, then buy you lunch at the lodge, then do a canyon flyover on way back. I haven't done this in 15 yrs so may have changed, do a search.

Or wait till summer and ride your wing here, its worth the trip.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If the wing idea doesn't work out, check out the Maverick Chopper tour to the canyon. They chopper you over, land in the canyon, and give a light lunch. They have a sunset tour that lets you sit in the canyon and watch the sunset. Great second choice:lol:

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
<...>They chopper you over, land in the canyon, and give a light lunch. They have a sunset tour that lets you sit in the canyon and watch the sunset. Great second choice:lol:
If the weather is crappy, as is forecast, they probably won't make that run.

Bluejerry: There are some local rides around the Vegas area that'd be acceptable, even if the weather is crappy. Red Rocks is fairly close, as is Valley of Fire state park.

This is the 'fun' time of year around here - predicting when you'll have good weather in advance sometimes isn't so fun.

Good ridin' to ya, even if the weather is inclement!

·
Registered
574 Posts
May have to save the GC visit for another time when the weather will be better. Maybe head South towards Phoenix. With only a day, you might just want to have a good time riding the back roads.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
they are still showing the chance of precip at around 20 percent. The weather on the roads from Vegas to the canyon will be good most likely. The possibility of snow might increase from Williams north. I did that ride last weekend with no problem. It really comes down to the moment. keep in mind that 20 percent also means 80 percent chance of no precip. I'd go. You can always vary your route to something else if necessary. As has been said there are some good things around vegas, and you can always head south along the river to places like Oatman, Havasu etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts