GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be retiring in February/March and the following fall I plan on moving to AZ if all goes well. I've looked online at the AZ DMV or MVD or whatever they call themselves, and it's tough to come to any conclusions........I'm really confused about how the licensing works in AZ, not just for the vehicles and trailer, but drivers licenses as well. Lots of questions:
First, the fees that AZ charges are quite a bit more if I'm figuring things right than where I'm at now, but how do they determine the value of a 2015 pickup truck?
Does the current license fee take into consideration that this 4 year old truck is the first time it's being registered in AZ or do they charge the full amount the first time?
How do you know what the vehicle was worth when new, and how does it depreciate for calculation purposes? Do they use some type of calculator based on the VIN or something?
What about the bike? How much is that going to cost for a 2003 GL1800? It turns 16 years soon! (old enough to drive itself)
Do I have to turn in my old plate or can I keep it (the old plate is a vanity that I don't want to give up).
When my wife and I go in to get our new licenses, do we have to take a test? Written? Driving? Both? Neither?
Is a trailer plate required in AZ? What are the fees for that?
If anyone can help out this old guy it'll be appreciated!
Steve F

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Try this site

https://servicearizona.com/

For vehicle licensing, the MSRP of the vehicle is used to calculate the tax, with depreciation applied each year. I can tell you my 2016 Goldwing’s current year renewal was $354, plus $25 for the special plate and $10.75 in BS fees. Brand new I paid I believe just over $500. When I renewed my 2006 last 2 years ago it was $151. My 2005 FJR was about $100. Both those bikes had special plates.

Pretty sure trailers need a plate, but I don’t have one so I don’t

I hope that helps some, but I think that link is what you need.

Reactions: Steve F

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Welcome to Az. Just send them all your money and you will be fine.

Vehicle registration is a combination of a fixed registration fee (small) and a VLT (vehicle license tax) that is basically a personal property tax based on value. The value is prorated from new. They determine it and it’s not negotiable that I know of. Old vehicles are cheap. New expensive vehicles not so much. Emission testing may be required (motorcycles and collector cars exempt) depending where you live in the state. Minimum liability insurance is required on all registered drivable vehicles.

You can keep your old plate and nail it to your shop wall.

Commercial stuff is more based on axle weight and other stuff.

General purpose or utility trailers can be registered for life. Permanent plates. It’s optional. I recommend this route if your going to keep the trailer a few years.

RVs, travel trailers and livable type of stuff has to be registered every year.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Steve,

In March 2018, my yearly tag for my 2005 Goldwing was $31.47. Two years would have been $57.83 and five years would have been $113.87. Bonus that when you re-register your vehicles, you can also register to vote at the same time. We do have a Motor Vehicle Dept (MVD) office in Payson, so it's a simple matter of walking in, waiting for 2.3 minutes and go to the window when your number is called.

After the initial set-up, annual renewals can be done through the servicearizona.com website.

Where you are moving to no emissions testing is needed for any of your vehicles.

I concur with the permanent trailer plate and the fee is nominal. Sorry, I don't have the amount readily available, but will check for it when I return from our RTE today.

- David

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
$75 for a perm tag for a utility trailer (goes by GVWR); rates are different for a camper-style trailer.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As far as trailers, I was thinking you meant one pulled behind the wing. I bought a new utility trailer last year and the permanent registration license was $105.

Years ago during the mass migration from the rust belt Arizona really cracked down on new residents retaining their original plates. You had 10 days to get your Arizona driver's license and license plates. After that point you were "eligible" for a $500 fine. At the time I was hiring a lot of people from out of state and a few of them got caught. Covering that was not part of our moving package. :wink2:

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
As far as drivers licenses - as long as what you have is current, you should not need a test, unless you have a commercial-class of license. I don't know about that.

Your motorcycle endorsement should also transfer, but you need to make sure you tell them that specifically.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Motorized boat registration is administered by the Az Game and Fish Department if you need that. Non motorized boats don’t need to be registered.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You all are great!

Thaks so much for everyon's input! I just cant wait, but I'll have to sit here in northern Illinois through another winter, and by maybe by next fall I'll see you guys!
Thanks again.
Steve F

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thaks so much for everyon's input! I just cant wait, but I'll have to sit here in northern Illinois through another winter, and by maybe by next fall I'll see you guys!
Thanks again.
Steve F
So sorry, Steve! We'll be sure and enjoy the winter desert riding on your behalf...maybe even send you some pics... :wink2:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Motorized boat registration is administered by the Az Game and Fish Department if you need that. Non motorized boats don’t need to be registered.
So you're saying sailboats don't need to be registered any more? Are you sure?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just received this bit of holiday cheer in my email inbox from the state of Az.

Dilly Dilly!

:capwin:
Well, there's only two things in life for certain, and that's death and taxes....it seems like they're goal is killing us with taxes.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a little over a month now since the visit to the MVD in July. Let's see now...... myself and the wife went there and got our AZ drivers licenses, we had 3 title transfers for the truck, the bike and the trailer, three plates again, for the truck the bike and the trailer..... Cha-Ching!!!! $640 please! Oh, wait, that didn't include my wife's drivers license since she had to get in a different line for some reason....BUT, I almost forgot.... we got to register to vote!!! Now I feel better. :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts