GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get a Diamond seat made for myself and my SO. So many people on this and other boards have said how great this seat is and the people who make them are commited to excellence. I do have a question that some of you may be able to answer. I live in the nortwest and ride year round so I find myself riding in the rain more often than I would like. My question, would it be better to get a vinyl seat covering or should I go ahead and get the velour? Most folks seem to have gotten the velour. Does it hold up to the rain pretty well without getting soaked? Thanks in advance of your info.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i would gte the vinyl if your in the wet weather a hot

much easier to get a dry area to sit on

loren

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
will be interesting to watch this thread, seems like many go for the velour as it is nice and comfy but when it gets wet?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Being that you live in the Northwest, definitely vinyl, or if available I would go with leather as a first choice.

DaleC

·
Registered
824 Posts
ddking said:
No recommendation, but I have the velour and would hate vinyl. They supply rain covers that you can use when raining and they have worked well for us. Whatever shifts your gears.
Have to agre with Dan. I have the velour and love it. It seems to ride cooler during the summer which is a plus. I did go back to the manufacturer and got the rain covers to use when riding in the wet. A soggy seat is not comfortable at all :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I originally had velour on my Diamond seat, but had it recovered in leather (burgandy color to make the bike unique). That is really the best of both worlds. Velour tends to grab my jeans and make it hard to scootch around in the seat, and vinyl is just too darn hot. At least, the leather breathes some and is much more comfortable in both warm and cold weather. At least that's my justification for spending an additional $350 for the seat. In fact, one of the Diamond guys saw it at Wing Ding this year and commented how good it looks. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a Saddleman Road Sofa covered in velour. The stock seat was comfy enough for me, I only got an aftermarket seat because I couldn't stand the vinyl. I carry a towel in the trunk, and if the velour gets wet, I just rub it dry. The velour is much cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter.

·
Registered
550 Posts
seat

The velour is much warmer in the winter, and Diamond does have an excellent set of covers for the seat in wet weather. It is a bit of a pain to either anticipate the rain, or stop and put on the covers, but it is much warmer in the winter than vinyl, and I hear much cooler in the summer, but haven't had mine on long enough to testify about that. The velour looks much neater also, especially if you get a contrasting color. Have a silver 03, and had the velour done in charcoal. It looks really good.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Darryl,

You think that it rains a little more in the NW, than it does in Taxes? Guess I am going to have to plan a trip out there in 2005 and find out for myself...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I had a velour Hartco on my 1200. Next time I do that it will be vinyl. When I put on the rain cover I slid all ove on firm braking.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey, Bulldog

Got to watch that rain in the Northwest, he said, smiling. Four of us braved the elements yesterday so these two guys could excercise their Christmas presents. Its amazing what some guys will submit to just to ride around in the Northwest rain, or as we call it, "Oregon Mist." Those seats won't get wet if you keep your butt on 'em.

And we have another day just like it today. Happy motoring.

BTW, your package is on the way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the Russell Day Long in velour and had no problems with it. I would put a seat cover on it when I was riding in the rain, not to mention I would be wearing rain gear. If it did get wet, it would dry out pretty quick. The big advantage was when it was hot, less sweat. So, go velour and cover it when it is wet, or go vinyl and cover it when it is hot.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
I originally had velour on my Diamond seat, but had it recovered in leather (burgandy color to make the bike unique). That is really the best of both worlds. Velour tends to grab my jeans and make it hard to scootch around in the seat, and vinyl is just too darn hot. At least, the leather breathes some and is much more comfortable in both warm and cold weather. At least that's my justification for spending an additional $350 for the seat. In fact, one of the Diamond guys saw it at Wing Ding this year and commented how good it looks. Just a thought.
I have never had the velour, but I think I would prefer leather if possible. I had it on my Valkyrie and know it is alot better than the vinyl. I think the velour would make it too hard for me to move around and then I would also have to stop for a rain cover or something.

Hey Bob, do you think they might have a leather version soon from the reaction you recieved from the Diamond guys?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey, Steve - not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. They might just have the capability to tackle that job. It would be less expensive if just the seating surfaces were covered with leather, which is what mine is. I'm not sure what the difference would be in manufacture. Seems the people that put mine together handled both parts about the same, from what I could see. Call them and ask.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey Dawg

Dig your new avatar! Not as purdy as Meesh, but it fits you well. LOL

Bring it on down whenever you want.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Velour or Vinyl

I am one of the many happy Diamond Seat owners and yes my seat is velour. The velour is mych more comfortable and cooler in the heat of summer in southern Louisiana. As far as wet seats I try not to ride in the rain and if I do get cought in the rain I pull off the road and use the covers that work really well. Also the seat has a scotch guard from Diamond and about every other month I clean it and apply another coat of scotch guard to keep the seat sealed against light rain or mist and the like. It works for me and I think that velour is the only way to go. Just my opinion and the usual disclaimers apply!

Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
I talked to Diamond at a show and really liked the way their seats feel. Just don't want velour because of having to cover in the rain; it can be nice weather when you park and rain before you can get back to it and didn't like the look of their stitch pattern with the vinyl or the sample they showed me. They didn’t have a seat covered with vinyl with them. They told me that was all they had. As I walked away I felt that they are a custom seat company only to a point. With that I decided to get a Russell Day Long in leather.

With that said the other day I was riding with our Goldwing club and one of the guys in is 6' 7", I am 6' 4" and he makes me feel short. We started talking about seats and someone say I should look at this guys seat. He had a Diamond and had them sew it in an almost factory pattern with Vinyl and it looked great and feel great. He said they told him they would do that again. If Diamond would offer this stitch pattern to match stock and offer leather as an option I thing they would sell a lot more seats. What do you think?

Panther

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You are making a GREAT choice in seat !!!!

Holly & I both have Velour seats. There are a great company to work with. Velour is cooler & doesn't soak up the water IF you put on there rain cover when it rains or keep applying a rain guard coating every 2 or 3 months. If your seat does get wet just soak it up with a towel & let it set out in the sun for a day & it WILL be dry. I can not say enough about how comfortable these seats are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts