GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not normally double post, and have posted this subject on the tech board, but I have worn my OEMs to near the wear indicators on my 04 Wing at 14,500. I could go another couple of thousand but it is in the rainy season and those Dunlops are just too slippery. I am planning to go to a 70 series rear which I believe was what the bike was designed around, and understand that the Avon is the tire of choice from some who have taken the time to post. The dealer has an Avon 180-70-16 Venom. I do not know what the Venom designates, and if it is the cruising wet weather tire that people talk about. Also, the dealer can not get the matching front tire for a few days.

Sure would like to hear from those who are using 70 series Avons if they know what model of tire they are using.

I also saw that Dunlop has a new 70 series Elite with deeper tread for mileage and compound for better wet weather traction, but have not heard on this board about that. It is a Valkyrie tire.

Thanks in advance for any information. It must be a boring subject because I reviewed threads and very little gets posted, unlike handguns and racy women that seem to be very interesting to many.

I realize that if you work 70 hours a week and ride 1000 miles a week like I do, not much time is left for other things, so I really will appreciate the help.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are the Valkyrie Avons radial construction?

markie

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tom,

Before you buy those tires, I would contact Hal and double check on the release of the new Avon's specifically made for the 1800. My understanding is that it would be a mistake to get the ones your talking about.

If the new Avon's are not released, which I believe to be the case, I would either get a set of Stone's or Metz' as an intrim tire. At least they have been manufactured for the 1800.

Only MY opinion! You know the rest - everybody has one of those!

·
Registered
405 Posts
the last set of tires I put on my Valk were the Avon Venoms. Don't have any idea what Venom is there for, just a designation. They were the best radial tires I ever had on two wheels and will definately switch on the next change.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The Avon Venoms have been out for the GL1800 for about a month now and are selling fine. I've only got a few left in the NC store, but we haven't had any trouble getting re-supplied. I think what Tom is after is correcting the speedo error with the 70 series tire. I have talked to a few people that have done it with no negative results.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Chef, are these the ones that Hal had a test rider out on? If so, did I miss a posting that they were now available?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
let me see, how do I answer this.....

Yes?

I've not seen any "FirstHand" reports on the Avons form any test rider, But I'm assuming that Avon was happy enough with the results to release the tires for sale.

I've heard NO complaints about them since we've been shipping, so I assume people are pleased with them. Only time will tell.

And this BB...

·
Registered
824 Posts
OK Chef,

That will teach me not to miss a few days on the Board :oops:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The Valk tires are hifher speed rate and heavier load capacity, at least scording to the Dunlop site: www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

I plan on doing that unless I learn of a good reason not to. I hope to gain a bit of ground clearance, correct the speedo to some extent, get a slightly higher final drive ratio. I do not know if the speed rating and capacity improvements apply to other makes of tires.

prs

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Avon venom

Thanks 'chef. What is the designation of the Avon front tire? I assume it is 130-70-R18 ??H

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
AVO-AV373
NEW! Avon Venom R for the GL1800, front tire 130/70VR18. FREE SHIPPING. Available in late 2003.

AVO-AV375
NEW! Avon Venom R for the GL1800, rear tire 180/60VR16. FREE SHIPPING. Available in late 2003.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Venom 70 series on both ends

I had the Venom 70 series installed this morning on both ends of the bike.

The speedo is dead on at 70,75, and 80. At 60, the speedo is about 1/2 mph optimistic and about 1 mph optimistic at 50. Tires are quiet and cornering is good. Best cornering feel I have had on the Wing.

However, the bike is wallowie. The sidewalls are too limber. I will raise the pressure from 41 on the rear and try again.

The odometer registered 77.8 in 78.4 GPS miles. That will probably drift to even and then to optimistic as the tire wears. It is obviously the tire outside diameter the speedometer gearing was designed for.

However, the limber sidewalls are not good. With only 100 miles on the tires, no wet riding was done, and no speed over 85 while pulling my old trailer until I raise the pressure and try it again. Just felt too unstable in the yaw axis. The same rig with worn Dunlops was just fine at 105 the other day, and felt like it was good for a lot more. Too many places for gumballs to hide.

The Avon 70 Venom feels just like the Dunlop with a flat. That is why I will try max recommended pressure, and then post again. I will also look for a stiffer version of the tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts