GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to GoldWings, so bear with me.

There is a opening in the side panels, just above the saddlebag protectors, on each side of the bike.

Vents, or what purpose?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think they are just for looks.

I have tried shining a light through them,had the whole bike apart one time and could not see how they work as vents.

The plastic inner shield blocks the air in any event. And maybe a tiny bit tries to enter the wheel well area but the inner wheel plastic would simply stop any flow.

I think they are just for looks.

Like a fake air scoop on a Nova.

Same with those front A/C vents. No way they can work. Just a tiny bit of heat in the winter. And the louvers on them get so loose they fall shut as fast as you open them. They are worthless too.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
They serve no purpose that I am aware of. So why does Honda have them?:eek:

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
The one on the right is there to match the one on the left. The one on the left is there for battery vapors for batterys that may need that.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
On my 2012 there is a vent you can't see, or at least don't notice.

It's behind the rear directional signals.

You can actually slide your finger up and under those lights.

Don't know the function, though.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Honda put them there so you can adjust the Muffler bearings every 20K without removing any plastic.
I thought everyone knew that.:shrug:
I need to have you adjust my muffler bearings again Rocky. I think they may need to be replaced. I'm pretty sure my blinker fluid needs to be changed as well. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the tools. I checked both Harbor Freight and Sears, but they don't have metric left-handed screwdrivers.:joke:

·
0 Posts
Blinker fluid, Canouter bearing

Blinker fluid on sale, buck 2.98 a gallon, canouter bearings should be replaced every ride or when you can hear her on the back!:thumbup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda put them there so you can adjust the Muffler bearings every 20K without removing any plastic.
I thought everyone knew that.:shrug:
Guess they made this maintenance operation this easy to make up for the procedure of changing the air cleaner, huh?:tools1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts