GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting a Tulsa windshield and don't know if I want one with a vent or not. Advice would be appreciated.

Do vents allow significant air flow, and if so, does it cause more buffeting on the passenger?

Can they be completely closed for cold weather riding?

How are they in the rain? Leak?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
I like them, they do close completely and I've never had a rain leak. The only thing I don't like is cleaning them, they get crammed full of bugs. The only way I've found to thoroughly clean one is to remove it from the windshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
vent

I like the vent it is a big help on a real hot day I have had no problem in the rain and it is not a problem in cold weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
I agree with the posters above me. The only 'problem' I've had with mine with rain has been after the rain has stopped and I open the vent as I'm riding. As soon as I do that, all of the water that collected on the vent fins sprays all over me. :shock: I have to laugh at myself everytime I do that because I know better. What's worse is that I guarantee you I'll forget about it the next time and surprise myself yet again. :roll: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
windshield vent

You will want the vent if for no other reason than to lessen the low pressure area behind the windshield. That's just MHO. Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I agree with the posters above me. The only 'problem' I've had with mine with rain has been after the rain has stopped and I open the vent as I'm riding. As soon as I do that, all of the water that collected on the vent fins sprays all over me. :shock: I have to laugh at myself everytime I do that because I know better. What's worse is that I guarantee you I'll forget about it the next time and surprise myself yet again. :roll: :D
THANKS..............Now I know I am not the ONLY one :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ..chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
I wouldn't be without one.. When it's open, it hits you square in the chest (or the face, if you tilt it up).. when it's closed, it doesn't seem to bother anything. It's not a troubling hard breeze, but enough to matter when you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
I wouldn't be without one.. When it's open, it hits you square in the chest (or the face, if you tilt it up).. when it's closed, it doesn't seem to bother anything. It's not a troubling hard breeze, but enough to matter when you need it.

And if you don't get it and change your mind, you'll play hell finding a shop willing to cut the hole for it... I had to do my own..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I would rather have one and use it than not have one and not have an option. I am glad I have one and have it open when hot, closed when wet and/or cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
I was glad my 04 came with it as a stock addition. I would have replaced my ws if I had an 01 - 03 that didn't have one.

The angling makes it just right for any riding situation. Hot weather a nice breeze aimed at the neck area is instantly cooling and in stop and go traffic even the small amount of breeze on the chest is appreciated. 8)
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
twyn said:
I'm going to be getting a Tulsa windshield and don't know if I want one with a vent or not. Advice would be appreciated.

Do vents allow significant air flow, and if so, does it cause more buffeting on the passenger?

Can they be completely closed for cold weather riding?

How are they in the rain? Leak?

Thanks
They're great, the Tulsa does such a great job of reducing buffeting that the vent is a must have item. It allows you direct some air where you want it when it's hot and closes off completely when it's cold. Two downers though, cleaning the vent can be difficult. Tulsa's require special care when cleaning the windshields also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,060 Posts
Re: vent

ANGUS said:
I like the vent it is a big help on a real hot day I have had no problem in the rain and it is not a problem in cold weather.
ditto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,038 Posts
I am trying to figure out a way to remove my vent and plug it. It is a nuisance and in the rain it leaks. Hot air in summer and cold in winter, catches bugs and crud. Dash looks like crap because you cant get under it to clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
I added one to my '03. It reduces buffeting, that is the biggest advantage. We rarely have cool air so that is irrelevant. But it is a bug catcher, I even caught a bird in mine. That was a mess. My vote would be YES, get the vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,569 Posts
Better to have the vent and not need it, than to need a vent and not have it! Sounds like an argument for firearms as well. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Get the vent. They work. I enjoy the air on my face in the summer, and when it rains I open it and it helps reduce some fogging.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top