GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
How are they used ? wish it showed a picture.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't understand how they would work on a Wing, with the big windshield and tupperware I have my doubts there is enough wind flow to let them pull in fresh air. I really like my Baker air wings with a mesh jacket to bring in some cooling air during the summer.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was wondering if they had a fan inside them

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Don't understand how they would work on a Wing, with the big windshield and tupperware I have my doubts there is enough wind flow to let them pull in fresh air. I really like my Baker air wings with a mesh jacket to bring in some cooling air during the summer.
Never tried that but I bet it works, I have two riding jackets that the sleeves are made to be kept open somewhat like that and it works really well on the Wing.

The huge zipper across the back open really helps air to flow through.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You actually answered your own question... by adjusting the air wings, you will shoot air directly up your sleeves. I would imagine it would provide significatly more air flow than without them on.

i was wondering if they had a fan inside them
No fan... forced air flow only.

I can see advantages for a passenger by manuevering their arms into the airstream instead of just being stuck behind the rider.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i may get some, it will at least make it easier to pour water down my sleeved to recharge my ldcomfort shirt? i wasted $28 on worse tjings:)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i may get some, it will at least make it easier to pour water down my sleeved to recharge my ldcomfort shirt? i wasted $28 on worse tjings:)
...and they have "yellow"! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and they have "yellow"! :thumbup:
ha, i have purple on my jacket, yellow on my bike, so i thinking red and get a blue helmet and some orange riding pants so i can ride in those "rainbow parades" $)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Here's some "scientific" data from the manufacturer's website:

Chart 2

Studying chart 2 it can be clearly demonstrated that from the start of the journey at 3:49:57 the body temperature steadily increased up to the time when a pair of Ventz® were inserted at 4:04:10 – the temperature then immediately began to fall. This cyclical pattern was further evidenced by Event 1 (E1) when the temperature again started to rise. E1 was created when the rider had to stop at traffic lights for 2 minutes.

Event 2 (E2) indicates the re-commencement of the journey and records the significant fall in body temperature. This clearly demonstrates the effectiveness of the Ventz® system and the almost instant cooling impact it has on the internal build-up of body heat.
Below describes a detailed analysis of the data recorded on Chart 2

Without Ventz®

Average start temp @ 13:49 pm

21.875 Lowest
25.937 Highest
Av = (21.875 + 25.937) /2 = 23.906 deg C
Average temp before Ventz® insertion @ 14:04 pm over time period of 14 mins
27.062 Lowest
30.937 Highest
Av = (27.062 + 30.937) /2 = 29.00 deg C

Temp rise inside clothing without ventz®:
29.00 – 23.906 = 5.093 deg C

With Ventz®

Average temp at time of Ventz® insertion: 29.00 deg C
Average temp @ 14:14 pm over time period of 10 mins
18.687 Lowest
23.812 Highest
Av = (18.687 + 23.812) /2 = 21.249 deg C

Conclusions:

Effective average temperature drop following 10 mins of inserting ventz®:
Start temp: 29.00 deg C
Temp after 10 mins: 21.812 deg C
Temp drop: 29.00 – 21.812 = 7.188 deg C
Temperatures drop by percentage: [1-(21.249/29)] x 100 = 26.727%

Summary

Following a ride of 14 mins without the use of Ventz® the average internal temperature of the riders clothing rose by 5.093 deg C to 29.00 deg C. Following the insertion of Ventz® after just 10 minutes usage the internal clothing temperature dropped by over 25% to 21.812 deg C

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'd bet they work real nice even on the wing. Last year I rode fron SF to Idaho through 113 degree heat wave and when I could keep my sleeves open and catching air I felt great, it dried out my jacket and T-Shirt as well. My alternative was a water drenched Heat-Out long sleeve T that wouldn't stay wet long enough to prevent incessant water bottle dousing. These would help prop the sleeve open without having to constantly angle your arm just right. The screen ought keep the bug out of you jacket. Wish I'd thought of these.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bugs

I'd bet they work real nice even on the wing. Last year I rode fron SF to Idaho through 113 degree heat wave and when I could keep my sleeves open and catching air I felt great, it dried out my jacket and T-Shirt as well. My alternative was a water drenched Heat-Out long sleeve T that wouldn't stay wet long enough to prevent incessant water bottle dousing. These would help prop the sleeve open without having to constantly angle your arm just right. The screen ought keep the bug out of you jacket. Wish I'd thought of these.
I had my sleeves open going across SoCal and I scooped up a yellow jacket. It bit me on the elbow 3 times before I was able to pound it into submission :eek:4: One of these things with the screens would do the trick I think. I don't ride with the sleeves open anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts