GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my update Ver 8 NT for my 2720. There wasn't enought room to load USA & Canada. Could only download USA which is not a big problem. I believe all of Ver 7 NT loaded ok. Anyone else experience this or did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Garmin site says "NOTE: The Quest 2 will require a software update that will reduce the supplimental map storage to 35MB for the update to fit. ". It does not mention this for other units. I'm still waiting for my V8 DVD to arrive for my Quest 2.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason I just discovered that I have both ver 7 and the new ver 8. How do I get rid of ver 7?
Thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
dgamage said:
For some reason I just discovered that I have both ver 7 and the new ver 8. How do I get rid of ver 7?
Thanks
I used email to Garmin's support when I had an issue relating to registering and it was answered
in short time.Try Garmin?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
dgamage said:
Thanks
I have a 2610, so this may not work for your 2720. I looked at the online manual for the 2720 and I believe the method is the same for both units.

When you open MapSource there's a window near the top which shows which version of CN it is using.

Select V7 of CN then go to the map tab. Make sure there are NO maps listed.

Next, select V8 of CN and pick just a few maps for a test. Try uploading these selected maps to your GPS. This should erase all maps in the GPS and install the ones you selected.

It's possible to install maps in your GPS from more than one version of CN. If you do this, then you will have to select which maps to use in your GPS.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That doesn't seem to work. Garmin thinks it's a bad unit. I'll use it till I get back from vacation. It seems to work ok.

Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
betthe said:
dgamage said:
Thanks
I have a 2610, so this may not work for your 2720. I looked at the online manual for the 2720 and I believe the method is the same for both units.

When you open MapSource there's a window near the top which shows which version of CN it is using.

Select V7 of CN then go to the map tab. Make sure there are NO maps listed.

Next, select V8 of CN and pick just a few maps for a test. Try uploading these selected maps to your GPS. This should erase all maps in the GPS and install the ones you selected.

It's possible to install maps in your GPS from more than one version of CN. If you do this, then you will have to select which maps to use in your GPS.
dgamage said:
That doesn't seem to work. Garmin thinks it's a bad unit. I'll use it till I get back from vacation. It seems to work ok.

Thanks for your ideas.
If Garmin thinks it's a bad unit, it is a good bet that it is.

I was up playing on the laptop this morning when I should have been sleeping. I found the following on a GPS forum that maybe of some interest. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=67411

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
dgamage said:
Just got my update Ver 8 NT for my 2720. There wasn't enought room to load USA & Canada. Could only download USA which is not a big problem. I believe all of Ver 7 NT loaded ok. Anyone else experience this or did I do something wrong?
I had a similar problem last night when I attempted to upgrade my 2730 to CNNA NT V8. The install ran for about an hour then errored out at 99%. With a message stating it had a problem (nothing specific) and if the problem continues to contact Garmin Tech Support. It gave me the option to cancel out or retry the operation. I hit retry and and hour later the same problem came up, (Hey it was worth a shot...) :wink:

I rebooted the 2730 and switched to the "disk drive" mode to see how much storage I still had left, sure enough zero bytes available. I deleted one of my MP3 albums and all but one audiobook, freeing up 355mb. I then continued the update again and all was good. I checked my freespace afterwards and still had 348mb left.

I know the 2720 does not use MP3 or Audio files, but I was wondering if you had loaded a lot of custom POI? The POI's don't take up a lot of room but maybe enough to cause the V8 update to fail :?: :?:

For me it sure would have been a lot simpler if Garmin's program verified there is enough room available for the upgrade before it wasted an hour and then just abended with no indication of what the actual (and very simple) problem was.

The 2730 seems to work just fine so far now that V8 is installed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I could see the internal drive, I don't know how to do it on the 2720. That would help. I do know ver 8 and ver 7 are in the machine, or at least it says so. I THINK I've got ver 7 disabled, but not absolutely sure. I'm on a 2-3 week trip with it now, but will return it to Garmin when back from the trip. I asked Garmin if I could stop by the factory and get the problem resoved on my way home from the trip but the only choice they gave me was to drop it off and they will return it by mail. From past experience with Garmin, they have always just sent a new one. Looks like it would be easy for them just to exchange while I there, but they want to do it their way.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Updated my 2720 from V7 to V8 CNNA NT...last week...no problems...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts