GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The part about being Verdayne's bike isn't very funny; the funny part is the 'Buy it Now' price of $10,000 for a 22 year old bike with over 200,000 miles! What's even funnier is that someone has bid $2,200 for it, and the reserve hasn't been met! Maybe I should list that ocean front property that I have in Arizona, I could make a killing. :roll:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Duane in Bakersfield said:
The part about being Verdayne's bike isn't very funny; the funny part is the 'Buy it Now' price of $10,000 for a 22 year old bike with over 200,000 miles! What's even funnier is that someone has bid $2,200 for it, and the reserve hasn't been met! Maybe I should list that ocean front property that I have in Arizona, I could make a killing. :roll:
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I think it's sad that a fellow biker was stricken with a stroke, has cancer and is no longer able to ride and his wife is forced to sell the bike he loved to ride in order to pay his medical expenses. I wish them both well.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I think it's sad that a fellow biker was stricken with a stroke, has cancer and is no longer able to ride and his wife is forced to sell the bike he loved to ride in order to pay his medical expenses. I wish them both well.
I agree with you.

My reserve on that would be at least $4,500. It's worth way more than that parted out but if it's been well taken care of it's still got plenty of miles left on it. I also believe there's nothing wrong with setting the BIN high. If someone can't wait, they should pay for the luxury to grab it up.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Gary and William, I guess I didn't do a very good job wording my post, because you guys totally missed the point. Let's try it again, shall we?

I don't think it's funny that they're selling the bike to raise money, but realistically, do either of you think that bike is worth $10,000? If so, I'll buy your 1800 for $10,000 and you can buy that bike. That way, you can help them with their medical bills, have a bike to ride, not be out any money, and I can sell the 1800 to my brother for what I paid for it so he can have a good bike to ride.

Do I think it's funny this gentleman has medical problems? No way. Do I fault them for doing whatever is necessary to get by? No way. Do I think they're wishing for the moon? Absolutely. Are they going to get what they're asking? I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

The funny part is that someone would bid that much on that bike. The weird part is that someone would think it's worth that. The unbelievable part would be if they get the 'Buy it Now".

Sorry if I came across to you as uncaring, I didn't mean it that way. That should have been apparent from my first sentence in defending Verdayne. But then again, maybe I took the first post wrong, too. Maybe he meant it could have been Verdayne's old bike at one time. I took it to mean that he actually thought Verdayne would think that bike was worth that money.

That's the bad thing about the Internet, eh? No voice inflection to help convey context.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Something about that seller doesn't seem right. They are a liquidating outfit that is also selling a scooter with "sob-story" attached. But I think I have become the opposite of gullible on the internet.

Nope, I didn't see any humor attached with the original post to this thread. Jokes at other folks expense is a bit too similar to a thinly disguised personal attack.

·
15 year Member
6,934 Posts

WE WANT MORE BLING!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LVWolfman said:
I'm guessing that the mention of Verdayne was to poke fun at his penchant for wing bling as that bike is LOADED with it. :lol:
Yep...

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Gary and William, I guess I didn't do a very good job wording my post, because you guys totally missed the point. Let's try it again, shall we?
I didn't mean to imply you said anything negative about the medical part of it. I was agreeing that it was sad and I wished them both well. Sorry about that.

My comment was mostly about the price. I do not believe it's worth $10,000 but I do believe if someone wants to override the bidding process and get it NOW, they should pay a premium for that opportunity. Obviously the seller isn't really pushing for a "Buy it now" bid, but heck, for $10G why not? If someone does want it for that - then both parties are happy - good for them. I refuse to end auctions early even though people always seem to nag sellers to do so. I sometimes set a high BIN amount and tell them if they really want it now to pay for it. Otherwise it goes to the highest bidder - as it should.

I do believe the Wing is worth way more than $2,200 for it. I think it's worth double and I believe the seller will get more than double.

You can buy my Wing for $23,500 if you want ... but then I'll buy a 2007. I just can't go back. :wink:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Rick, I'm sure that's exactly what Azbb meant, that old wing is blinged way past gaudy. Usually, Azbb and I usually pretty much on the same page on most topics, but in this case, I felt it was a little over the top. Again, he probably didn't mean it like I took it, he meant it as humor.

edit: that's what I get for talking on the phone while trying to put together a cohesive thought, a half hour goes by and my point gets made by others. lol. William, no offense taken. :wink:

ps, Azbb, I love your take on the ALCU sticker. lol. That's too funny.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
Something about that seller doesn't seem right. They are a liquidating outfit that is also selling a scooter with "sob-story" attached.
They are not Empire Liquidators. they bought something from them. I've bought stuff from EL before. These folks have never sold anything before looking at their history.

Nothing that I would want but we ran into a fellow in the Yukon that had every piece of chrome Kuryakan ever made on his 1500 with Arctic Art to boot. He was very proud of it. Different stokes for different folks and no doubt, someone will fall all over this thing. Just takes one.

Duane, that thing is just down the road from you. Why don't you go check it out and report back with "the rest of the story". Make for a short weekend ride.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
edit: that's what I get for talking on the phone while trying to put together a cohesive thought, a half hour goes by and my point gets made by others. lol. William, no offense taken. :wink:
Good! Now I hope you don't drive and talk on the phone at the same time... :wink:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Actually, that's why a half hour went by with my post on the 'preview' screen...I don't multi-task well. lol. The post sat while I yacked. A man has to know his limitations, right? lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts