GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing Fred’s and Bartman’s tips on removing the shelter and adjusting the cruse I decided to tackle the project. All has been relatively uneventful so far but I am having difficulty finding the “window” to view the 2 points on top and 1 pointer on the bottom to verify I have the cruse adjusted correctly (lined up). Is the 06 just enough different from Fred’s (Not sure what year the bike is the Fred used to demo the adjustment) that I am not going to find the hole to look through?

I

·
0 Posts
After reviewing Fred’s and Bartman’s tips on removing the shelter and adjusting the cruse I decided to tackle the project. All has been relatively uneventful so far but I am having difficulty finding the “window” to view the 2 points on top and 1 pointer on the bottom to verify I have the cruse adjusted correctly (lined up). Is the 06 just enough different from Fred’s (Not sure what year the bike is the Fred used to demo the adjustment) that I am not going to find the hole to look through?
Forget those adjustment marks. They don't work to eliminate lag.

Here is what works:

ADJUSTING THE CRUISE CONTROL ON THE GL 1800. ELIMINATE THE IRRITATING ENGAGEMENT LAG.

It is NOT necessary to remove the top shelter in order to adjust the cruise control lag as the Honda Service manual states. Nor is it necessary to unplug the key switch from its harness as some other web site instructions say to do.

1. Pop out the front speaker grills, and remove the hex bolt that retains the instrument cover from each side. The rear of the instrument cover is retained by rubber grommets, much like your engine covers. Just lift up and the panel will come off.

2. Remove the screw on the right side of the ign switch flange and loosen the left one.

3. Pull the plastic tunnel cover out from under the switch flange, bend it back out of the way and tie it off to your handlebar with a zip tie or whatever, threaded through the screw hole.

4. Now you can see the cables coming from the cruise control unit. You will be adjusting the one with the barrel adjuster in it. Forget the setting marks on the cruise control unit...they aren't accurate.

5.Select the 2 open end wrenches that fit the lock nut on the barrel adjuster, and the one that fits the barrel itself. WARNING!... Before you go any further, tie strings to each wrench so that if you drop one (and you might) you can retrieve it. If you drop a wrench down there, it is gone forever, and it could do mischief if it gets into something.

6. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the barrel outward (ie making the cable housing longer and hence reducing slack). It is kind of trial and error, but it will probably take at least 2-3 turns to get it right. Take the tie off that is holding the cover back to the bars and you can ride the bike and test it if you like. If I remember right, mine took over 3 turns, but yours may vary. If you go too far, the cruise will "over-engage" and that can be dangerous.

Since I did mine, I use the cruise much more than I did before. It is a joy to use when it is adjusted right.

Good luck.

Questions? [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did mine the weekend before last.
I used the adjust-till-the-idle-speed-goes-up-then-back-it-off-half-a-turn-or-so method and I have to say it was pleasing to know that it was adjusted 'perfectly' for my bike.
I marked the adjuster so I could see how many turns it was out, 5 and 3/4 turns. So, if I had just done the 3-4 turns that most do it, it would have still had some lag, so much that I would have noticed? Cant say, alls I can say is by doing with the bike running, I KNOW I got it right.

Hope this helps some.

Ben.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I did mine when I did an air filter change. I ignored the marks and rode the bike around with no top shelter. A little adjustment at a time. I found the correct position though process of elimination.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Cruise control lag adjustment

Easy method I found was while you are changing air filter and have top cover removed from air filter. Simply look down R.H. side ofsteering to see barrel shaped nuts on cable. Place mark across both nuts. Back larger nut(10mm) out 3 turns and then 2nd nut(8mm) out 3 turns to tighten up together. Replace all air filter parts and rassemble bike. Took out all lag in cruise system for me. Should have done this looonnnggg time ago! Now when riding on highway I set cruise and it stays right at speed. No waiting for the catchup procedure. Fred's videos gave me the confidence to attempt this. No if i only coud get my brake fluid chaged??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Ben,

I had not read that before...
Thanks,
Jerry
I did mine the weekend before last.
I used the adjust-till-the-idle-speed-goes-up-then-back-it-off-half-a-turn-or-so method and I have to say it was pleasing to know that it was adjusted 'perfectly' for my bike.
I marked the adjuster so I could see how many turns it was out, 5 and 3/4 turns. So, if I had just done the 3-4 turns that most do it, it would have still had some lag, so much that I would have noticed? Cant say, alls I can say is by doing with the bike running, I KNOW I got it right.

Hope this helps some.

Ben.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I did my bike and a friends by the marks and they worked fine. But this week I did another bike by the marks and it made it worse. I go along with riding without the top shelter and adjusting it to the way you want it.

·
Registered
16,491 Posts
I set mine by the "bomb sights" and it is spot on. NO lag, No overshoot, No undershoot. Everybody else says you can not avoid undershoot, but following the instructions has mine rock steady. I did make sure my throttle slack was set properly befor removing any slack from the cruise, I have no idea if that is the difference or not. If I am cruising at 77 and throttle up to 90 to pass a stink'n pig truck, once by I can release the throttle and the bike will return to 77, not 76 or 74 and then back to 77; I mean it drops to 77 and stays put. If I cruise at 77 and disengage the cruise to slow to 55 due to some traffic condition, once clear I can simply press resume and it will return to 77, not 78 or higer and then back -- but directly to the set speed. But evidently that type of cruise performance is not the "norm". I did have to repeat teh adjustmet after about 60,000 miles, but the same technique put it right again. Go figure.

prs

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it! I never did find the markers on the 06 but I finished the cruse adjustment. What an improvement. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. I am laughing here.... I knew this was going way to smooth. I was bolting the shelter back on... Like I say everything is plugging in the way it's supposed to, fits nice, ooking good and I noticed the number 2 bolt (from the bottom) wasn't hitting threads. I looked and I have knocked the clip off or as my 16 year old daughter would say "the black thingy that holds the bolt like thingy on".
:wrong:
Now I am going to look a little closer on the garage floor but if it's not located...Does anyone know, do you have to buy those by the bushel basket full?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks IBTRIKE for the great info. Like stated above, the cruise will be used more now that it works correctly.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
OK. I am laughing here.... I knew this was going way to smooth. I was bolting the shelter back on... Like I say everything is plugging in the way it's supposed to, fits nice, ooking good and I noticed the number 2 bolt (from the bottom) wasn't hitting threads. I looked and I have knocked the clip off or as my 16 year old daughter would say "the black thingy that holds the bolt like thingy on".
Now I am going to look a little closer on the garage floor but if it's not located...Does anyone know, do you have to buy those by the bushel basket full?

They're called clipnuts and are very hard to locate. You might luck out and find a dealer with some for an obscene price. Tip of the day: buy extras when you find 'em.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
They can be ordered from HDL, or a dealer!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If guns kill

I love the little caption down under your map! Jchefdoyardee. You summed that up in very few words:thumbup::lol:

Roky from Tennessee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts