GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow winger buddy and I plan to leave the Lubbock area of Texas on Saturday October 1st bound for Vermont and New Hampshire.

We want to see the fall foliage but don't have specific plans yet. Our general plan is to begin around Bennington, VT and ride from south to north and back to the south of VT then do the same thing in NH. We want to ride the scenic secondary highways through the beautiful small towns that appear on post cards.

Your suggestions for highways to travel and what to see and do will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Serious question for those in Vermont and New Hampshire...

After Hurricane Irene's fury hit your areas, are the roads passable for fall foliage touring? Or will they be passable by then?

Thanks for your responses for those who wait to ride in your neighborhood.

- David

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Spend some time around Woodstock Vermont, we were there in 2008 during the changing of the seasons and wished that we had the bike. Have a safe trip!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I had planned on riding up into the New England area this weekend, I think I'll wait until I'm sure all the roads are open. So now I have a 4 day ride starting tomorrow and have no idea which direction to head.:shrug:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with a few roads in VT closed there is still much to see and enjoy in New England. If I had a four day trip planned for now I would go anyway. A few backroad detours wouldn't spoil your trip if you're just out to see the scenery.

I would guess there will still be a few closed highways in October when I get there but I'm going to go and enjoy it anyway.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Just returned from a New England ride the week of 8/5-8/13.

The roads in Vermont are horrible. We entered VT at Burlington, headed south on SR116, headed east across the Green Mountains on SR125, and then headed north on SR100 through Waterbury.

SR125 through the Green Mountains was spectacular! Be sure to stop at the old country store in Ripton, about halfway up the mountain.

SR100 is a designated scenic byway and it doesn't disappoint either.

We stopped at the Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury and spent about 3 hours there eating, resting, and touring the factory.

We continued up 100 til we hit SR15 and took that east until we hit interstate. I-93 and I-91 were also very nice for about 30 miles into New Hampshire, where we picked up US302 to North Conway. The stretch between Bretton Woods and Conway was the most spectacular stretch of road on our entire trip. We stayed at a B&B in Glen, NH, and then moved on to Maine.

You could spend a lot of time touring the White Mountain area. It is very beautiful.

For Vermont road info, I'd check VT DOT online.

In October, dress for cooler weather.

We climbed Mt. Washington on a perfect day. The weather has to be perfect because there's a half-mile stretch that is nothing but dirt. It's packed tightly and if it got wet, it would be slick. Also, if you're going up the mountain, do it first thing in the morning, before the crowds hit. We came down after our 9am visit, and there was a line at the gate about a quarter mile long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just returned from a New England ride the week of 8/5-8/13.

The roads in Vermont are horrible. .

How are they horrible? Just made bad? It can't be Irene from the dates you posted.
Explain please.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Listened to this story on NPR this morning.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...gh-roads-reconnected-to-all-but-one-community

"Extremely rough" roads have been reopened to all but one of the communities in Vermont that were devastated by floods after Hurricane Irene passed over New England, the state's Emergency Management agency reports.

Wardsboro, which is still cut off, could be reconnected later today, officials add.

They caution, though, that at this point the roads are "intended for emergency vehicles and National Guard delivery vehicles only. Air operations will still compliment the truck deliveries to ensure the speediest delivery of provisions." As our colleagues at Vermont Public Radio say, crews "punched through" — but much work remains to be done before the roads are truly passable.

The Vermont National Guard, which has been flying its helicopters to stricken areas, is now getting help from the Illinois National Guard, which few a helicopter into the state today.

According to the emergency management agency, "there are currently 12,000 power outages in the state."

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
How are they horrible? Just made bad? It can't be Irene from the dates you posted.
Explain please.
Sorry I left that hangin...

They are in need of repair everywhere. They are crowned, cracked, rutted, and they'll rattle ya pretty good. There's no escaping it. I really don't know why, except the state must not spend a lot on maintenance. Some folks think the cause is shrink/swell caused by seasonal extremes. I don't buy that... You cross the border into NH and the roads are fine.

Don't alter your route... like I said, you can't escape em. Just take some ibuprophen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Vermont is in terrible shape now, but working hard to fix the roads. Foliage season is huge for them, so I think things will improve fairly quickly. Do check the dot site for up to date conditions:

http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf?minLat=42.7505&minLon=-73.2587&maxLat=43.9964&maxLon=-72.0209

I don't live far from Bennington--it's beautiful country. Check this site for VT and other states as well:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/vt_green.html

If conditions there are still bad, don't overlook NY state. The Adirondacks are special.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Was just in that area prior to the hurricane mowing through......beautiful country up there in yankee land. Definitely hit Amish country up there if you haven't been before....Lancaster county PA. Maine is a great ride as well. Have fun on your trip!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to each of you for all the good suggestions and links.

Over the next few days I will match up the route and stop suggestions with a detailed VT map and try to create a route plan.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Allow me to recommend very highly (#1 ranked motel in Lincoln, NH in tripadvisor.com) the Mt.Coolidge motel in Lincoln, NH. Very quaint and picturesque and relatively inexpensive. We stayed there this time last year on our Northeast tour.
BTW, be sure and put the Kankamagnus Highway on your route list.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it. Thanks for an excellent suggestion.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Allow me to recommend very highly (#1 ranked motel in Lincoln, NH in tripadvisor.com) the Mt.Coolidge motel in Lincoln, NH. Very quaint and picturesque and relatively inexpensive. We stayed there this time last year on our Northeast tour.
BTW, be sure and put the Kankamagnus Highway on your route list.
Thanks. I'll put it on our route info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts