GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to VT and NH in mid-June. Expect to be camping, driving about 250-350 miles a day or less. Never been to either state and am looking for suggestions on where to go and what to see. So far for VT I'm thinking: Lake Champlain, Burlington, and Montpelier. No ideas for NH. Might go down to CT on the way home but would stay as far north of cities and interstates as possible.

Also, wondering about any super-dooper roads to take. I only do the interstate system by mistake or if it is really, really the best short-term choice. I'll be coming from NW Ohio and am thinking of US 6 for most of the outbound journey.

Advice from those who have been or who live there would be appreciated. Txs.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
New Hampshire - Climb MT. Washington, ride Kangamangus Highway (windy well paved roads) this whole ares is totally beautiful area to visit

Vermont - Route 100, Route 30, Route 7 all beautiful well paved windy roads

(last week we rode RT 100 115 miles each way for a A&W Rootbeer float) I had a smile on face the whole time....Myself on wing with 12 other Harleys

Ronnie

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Hampshire - Climb MT. Washington, ride Kangamangus Highway (windy well paved roads) this whole ares is totally beautiful area to visit

Vermont - Route 100, Route 30, Route 7 all beautiful well paved windy roads

(last week we rode RT 100 115 miles each way for a A&W Rootbeer float) I had a smile on face the whole time....Myself on wing with 12 other Harleys

Ronnie
Kangamanus!?! You sure you're not making this stuff up? LOL. Good thing you had to ride back 115 miles after that float...to work it off I'd say.

Thanks for the leads.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I sort of "ride along". I am planning a similar trip (well from SC through OH, PA, NY and then to Vermont and back home. So, I can't do a lot of riding in Vermont just north to south.

Currently I was going to take NY Route 8 to Ticonderoga and then Route 17 north to where it intersect US 7 in Vermont and then south until it intersects Vermont Route on to Route 100 and south to just north of Londenderry.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
There are VERY FEW roads you can go fast on in VT and NH, so expect it to take longer to get anywhere. Most east-west roads are 1 lane each direction with few passing zones. Many roads are full of pot holes. If the Kanca is now well paved, that is a bonus!!! It was crap when I was there in 2014. Regardless, it is a slow ride with all the gawking cagers. Same with the road from Conway to Mt Washington. Not that it is a bad thing, just that you can't be in a rush. The Old Man in the Mountain is no more. His nose fell off a few years ago.

Agree with the Mt Wash auto road. It is an easy ride up and down, but worth the experience. There is a nice campground in Shelburne, NH that could be a nice place to pitch your tent. It is named Timberland and owned by a nice couple who ride occasionally.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
787 Posts
Drill into here. It's a treasure trove of great riding info.

Ayuh, that's the place to read.

Short read:
Kangamangus
Franconia Notch
Crawford Notch
Bear Notch
Cathedral Ledge
Hurricane Mountain Road (not for the faint of heart!)
Evans Notch
Mt Washington Auto Road (check weather!!!!)
Rt 16 to Rangeley, ME
Height of Land Overlook near Rangeley
and ……...that's just for Monday (well sane people would do it over two or three days).

Reactions: Drair and jlbc212

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you are interested in seeing the Atlantic Ocean, Rte 1A in NH is a short, but very scenic ride with lots of ocean views.

While it is true that travel through New England can be slow, the flip side, as Andy Cote pointed out, there's a lot that can be done and seen in one day because of the small size but large variation within the six New England states.

Reactions: Drair
1 - 8 of 8 Posts