GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Planning a fall ride to Vermont. Any suggestions for must see must ride backroads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hwy 7, although it's been 30 years since I was there, but remember it was nice. Enjoy the ride & scenery

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Rt 100 runs the entire state North/South is famous for its beauty and ride appeal. My favorite is Rt 17 which from mid-state off Rt 100 crosses the Appalachian Gap west to the Champlain Bridge. A very entertaining ride with Gorgeous Champlain Valley views. Rt 22A - another North/South mid-state road should also be considered (I lived on that road as a child). And yes - Rt 7 remains attractive with great vistas of the Champlain Valley.

Edit: (took me a couple tries to get the "Appalachian" spelling correct!)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Rt 7 is inded a nice take. Also rt 100. Appalacian gap, rt 17 I believe in Fayston. Rt 30 is nice also. I'm heading up that way starting Monday. Going through upstate New York and over the Lake Champlain bridge to Rochester. Then onto rt 4 to St. Johnsury to get into New Hampshire.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Greyhound, we must have been typing at the same time
Yes - except unlike me, you were able to spell "Appalachian" correctly the first time! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Big +1 to all the above. Just go. Let us know the ones you discover yourself. You cannot be disappointed (unless you require great pavement conditions).

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual
114 Posts
2 years ago I hit all the VT Gaps, except the one with gravel. Some say that Gap is the steepest maintained road in the US (or some other superlative).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
2 years ago I hit all the VT Gaps, except the one with gravel. Some say that Gap is the steepest maintained road in the US (or some other superlative).

I believe that would that be Lincoln Gap. Many years ago, I did that on my then current ride, a Yamaha Virago 700. It was pretty scary. Wouldn't attempt on a Goldwing. Amazingly steep and winding with dirt and gravel road surface thrown in periodically back then. Not sure of it's current condition.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
greyhound, Charge up that Sena of yours, and let's explore some of those Vermont roads..............( I usually go there (Vermont) in the winter to snow ski, BUT very rarely get to ride um on my cycle in the summer.....(maybe we can ask Alan too come with us :cry::cry:...May he rest in peace!)

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. We have much to look forward to. Cant wait to ride these roads.
Your going to love em.........................(if you like back road rides) (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll tell you an interesting and fun ride through Vermont. Take 100 north and then cut over to rt. 12 through the green mountains, take that north then cut back to rt.100/ you can do that at least4 times. Ride through some great towns, and great mountain riding.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Route 100 is a nice ride. One of my favorite Vermont rides is to take 100 North to 73 West at Rochester. ride 73 west through Brandon Gap to 7 North. At East Middlebury take 125 East through Middlebury Gap, past Middlebury College Snow Bowl. In Hancock pick up 100 North again and if you're feeling adventurous and don't mid riding some hard packed dirt take Lincoln Gap Rd west into Lincoln. In Lincoln you can head north on Quaker St and pick up 17 East over Appalachian Gap. If you want to avoid dirt stay on 100 north until you hit Irasville then take 17 West over Appalachian Gap. So many great roads in Vermont, you can't go wrong. I also recommend visiting Manchester on Rte 7 and taking Skyline Drive to the top of Mt Equinox for some spectacular views. Try not to miss Rte 108 out of Stowe and ride through Smuggler's Notch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts