GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at and even viewing the mounting and details of many hithces. As discussed often here, if I were to PULL a trailer, think I would go Bushtec.

HOWEVER!!!!!

I am not a trailer person, but do want to mount a carrier. So the question is - - - - Because when a carrier is mounted, the forces are so different, I cannot see any benifit of one hitch over another. For me as long as I can remove the rear section for emergency tire change on the road, then it seems as if it is a toss up. The carrier only exerts a downward, and in reality a forward force to the bike. It appears that all the hitches downward force is handled the same way, and the small forward horizontal force seems negligible.

So, being able to get a Add On brand on Ebay for $129 or less, why should I consider a Bushtec at $279????????? :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have had an Add-on and pulled a trailer for the last 2 1/2 years without a problem. Take a nice trip on the money saved. Would buy another Add-on.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
How do you come up with a downward force only? That cooler is on an arm that extends reward from the vertical receiver. That arm holds the cooler. If that arm is 2 feet long, the center of mass should be about a foot back from the receiver.

That arm is called a lever. Push down on it, and you have a downward force, but you also have a rearward force being held to the upper part of the sub frame. That is the one that breaks things.

That cooler will put more stress on the hitch than the trailer does. The ball is a hinge, and you have a hard time using a hinge for a pry bar. But that cooler bar is solid. Just put a 10 foot extension on it, jump on it and see what happens.

By the way, I just welded up a frame on a GL1500 that broke in half at the upper welded in nuts from using a cooler. One side broken in half, other side cracked and ready to go. So, it can happen. That hitch had 3 years and 40,000 miles before it went south. Cost the guy $150, so he did not save much over the long run.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had the Rivco rack on the back of mine all summer. Worked great and never knew it was on the back. holds a nice size cooler. Next I want a trailer....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts