GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first 1800 (an 03) came with a horizontal swivel hitch. It was ok; wasn't terribly for or against it. I let it go when I traded the 03 for an 08 that had a vertical hitch receiver (could no longer use it without replacing with another horizontal hitch assembly). Now, having ridden quite a few curvy roads at decent speed, I want a swivel hitch again.

At or near speed, I can feel the moment when the hitch has reached maximum lean angle with the stationary hitch setup and cannot lean any further. It's usually not an issue, but on one curve day before yesterday I'm just glad nothing was coming the other direction when I was forced across the line by a faster-than-lean-allowed curve (within posted speed) when the bike couldn't make the necessary lean without torquing the trailer's female coupler. A quick search really didn't give me much.

I do NOT want to completely replace my vertical hitch assembly with another of any type (brand, type, mount, etc.). What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of a swivel trailer hitch that will work with an existing vertical hitch receiver. Any suggestions to consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You probably bought something a few months ago but I am curious. Why not just buy the swivel for the trailer side instead of the bike side? Easily removed if you sell the trailer and not hitch dependent.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The hitch ball design has a lot to do with maximum lean angle. A thin necked ball will usually let the bike lean until the engine guards hit, before bottoming out. Balls that are internally threaded have thick necks because they have to, and the aluminum balls shipped with Rivco are notably thicker.

Go to a store that has couplers and balls and latch a ball into a coupler and see how much or how little travel there is in the roll axis. Try to find a ball with integral stud that has a thin neck and some space below the ball before the flared flange.

Bear in mind, most hitch couplers and balls are used on vehicles that do not lean relative to each other, so there is no head to provide much lateral play.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You probably bought something a few months ago but I am curious. Why not just buy the swivel for the trailer side instead of the bike side? Easily removed if you sell the trailer and not hitch dependent.
Lack of imagination. Pretty much sums it up. I'd never seen a trailer with a swivel arm but I had seen a hitch with a swivel neck. Anywho, I love the one I bought from Meadows Enterprises.

http://shop.meadows-ent.com/Swivel-Hitch-Vertical-360-Chrome-1-1-4-Vertical-Sleeve-SWH-009.htm

(Thanks to robeth for tips on sizing the image.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts