GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I found this and wanted to share it with everyone. I haven't seen it here yet but maybe I've missed it. All the photos came from the Thule website. The MSRP is only $1,199! Here is the link: http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product ... 8&sku=1500

Thule calls it the 1500 Sport Utility Trailer

FEATURES

* 3'5" x 5' x 14" (94 x 144 x 35 cm).
* 30 cu. ft. storage capacity with lid.
* Load capacity: 1,102 lbs. (500 kg).
* Trailer weight: 220.5 lbs. (100 kg).
* GVW: 1323 lbs. (650 kg).
* Great size for towing with a motorcycle

LOCKING OPTIONS

• Thule One Key System lock cylinder (included)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Coolhand,

Do you think that pulling a trailer behind the Wing that weighs 220 pounds empty is a good idea? I've put as much as 100 pounds in my Escapade, and I'm sure some riders surpass that by a lot. Imagine what they would be pulling after it is fully loaded?

I know that we must pay attention to the 10% hitch weight of the total weight of the trailer, and I've weighted my trailer before each trip to make sure I come close to that figure, but the Wing still has to pull that total weight.

I think that this trailer is better suited to be pulled behind a car or larger vehicle, I know I wouldn't even consider it to be pulled by my Wing. I think that asking what the trailer weighs empty should be the first question that a potential buyer makes before choosing their trailer, any trailer. Heck, some of those campers weigh over 300 pounds, empty, what are they thinking? But that's just me.

Mike

·
Registered
628 Posts
My Butler, Jr. weighs a claimed 235# and a friend's Hannigan is claimed to be 200#, if memory serves. Neither of us have ever had a problem, just like everyone says, "Can't even tell it's behind you" is true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

I agree 225 pounds "empty" is alot. Our Aluma is 173 empty. The Bushtec GL has a claimed pre options empty weight of 150, the Escapade Elite has a claimed pre options empty weight of 170, the Hannigan has a claimed pre options empty weight of 200 and Tom Finch's Tailwind has a claimed pre options empty weight of 200 pounds.

I also know this one most likely has torsion suspension, which, like my Aluma, is not the best, but serviceable. As most anyone knows who understands engineering and the dynamics of suspension NO TRAILER ON THE MARKET EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THE TAILWIND WHEN IT COMES TO SUSPENSION TECHNOLOGY, SAFTEY, AND ROLLOVER PROTECTION but I had to make my trailer buying decision based on only using it 3 or 4 times a year tops.

So I thought maybe this little Thule trailer would be nice low cost option for some . No doubt if I were to need/use a trailer more often it would be a Tailwind.

coolhand

If only.................!!

But I really love our little Aluma!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
coolhand said:
Mike,

I agree 225 pounds "empty" is alot. Our Aluma is 173 empty. The Bushtec GL has a claimed pre options empty weight of 150, the Escapade Elite has a claimed pre options empty weight of 170, the Hannigan has a claimed pre options empty weight of 200 and Tom Finch's Tailwind has a claimed pre options empty weight of 200 pounds.
The Bushtec Quantum "GL" in base trim is 125 pounds, the Quantum "GL" GS package which includes paint, chrome tongue, stone bra and full interior carpet is 150 pounds.

coolhand said:
I also know this one most likely has torsion suspension, which, like my Aluma, is not the best, but serviceable. As most anyone knows who understands engineering and the dynamics of suspension NO TRAILER ON THE MARKET EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THE TAILWIND WHEN IT COMES TO SUSPENSION TECHNOLOGY, SAFTEY, AND ROLLOVER PROTECTION but I had to make my trailer buying decision based on only using it 3 or 4 times a year tops.
There are tens of thousands of Bushtec owners who would find serious fault with your blanket statement. While the Tailwind may be different and better than most, it will not out perform a Bushtec in any regard.

A Bushtec (any model) is lighter, has lower rolling resistance, has run flat capable tires, and does not require any tongue related device because the shock load associated with a ball coupler is non existent. Bushtec incorporates a 360 swivel coupler, does not have the "push" associated with a ball coupler and in fact will leverage the trailer energy and drive the motorcycle rear wheel into the pavement since the heim joint is a leverage device by original design. The Bushtec suspension offers 4" of suspension travel and is infinitely adjustable air ride from no load to over gross load. The significance of the Bushtec air ride is that the trailer will perform exactly the same empty or over loaded, providing superior road compliance under all road and riding conditions. Suspension adjustment is simple and fast if accomplished according to Bushtec instructions. The Bushtec trailer line offers extensive personalization through a plethora of functional accessories (count them, over forty) unavailable from competition. This allows the buyer to start with a base unit at $2,295.00 and build the trailer as time goes by, just as they might with their motorcycle.

There are many choices in the motorcycle trailer industry, some good and some better, and not one trailer is right for all buyers. It is a given that the best trailer is the one you buy.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
100% satisfied Bushtec owner :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Love my Bushtec

I have never had a problem and I LOVE my Bushtec trailer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have a Bushtec Quantum GL and my wife loves the added room to carry anything she wants. It rides nicely behind the bike but if you haul a lot of weight you will remember its back there when you try to stop quickly. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:
Great company and great folks to deal with. And yes, the trailer I bought is the best one!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi John,

I'm sorry about misquoting the Bushtec GL claimed pre option empty weight. Since I don't own one of those beautiful trailers I couldn't put it on a scale like you can! All I could do is rely on your website:

I got that weight from your website which I copied below. Please let me know where I made the error in weight. Maybe I got the name wrong. Here is the link where I found it http://www.bushtec.com/models.html

Click HERE to download the Bushtec Performance Trailer Owners Manual
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ... Click button below to download)

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Quantum GL Specifications

Length Overall: 89" Width (Widest Point): 38"
Height (Tallest Point): 32"
Empty Weight: 150 lbs. GVW Rating: 350 lbs Storage: 26 cu. ft.
Interior (at narrowest points): 45" x 23" x 16"

And don't forget I've mentioned time and again I'm not an expert in trailers and I defer to your expertise. As a matter of fact, only yesterday, in a post on this same board under the thread "TRAILER HITCH" that was started by alabamaWing I said about you "Although not quite as exact as assigning 10 as most credible to 1 as least it runs something like that in my small non-expert -on-anything mind. An example as far as motorcycle trailer hitches go: John Preston: 10, Albert Einstein: 1 ".

I also said "But when I come across a statement like this, " What I know about hitches is stated as fact..." even when it comes from someone as reputable as John, I have to get some real facts to back it up. It would be like researching something and seeing someone claiming "mine is by far the best, just trust me". I will, after a little factual research.

That research is easy with Bushtec/John; just look at the track record for their product, service and integrity. Outstanding product, outstanding service, outstanding integrity. Easy; research complete".

And like you just said "there are many choices in the motorcycle trailer industry" and I just happen, as a layman, to really like the Tailwind when it comes to a high end trailer. I' m sure yours and Champion and Hannigan and all the rest are VERY good.

Oh, and by the way, about the technologically advanced design and suspension the Tailwind has; just a little background of my LIMITED understanding.

Some months back I had some friends/motorcycle enthusiasts over for a day of just looking at each others bikes, equipment and TRAILERS, then dinner on the grill after the bike fun. Two of my friends were down from Cambridge, Mass. where they teach engineering at MIT (they drive, what else, BMW's). Anyway the topic swung around to trailers and four trailers were there that day. We all looked them over real good, checked out their website documentation and designer credentials. Four of the guys there were engineers and they were all WAY over my head in discussing load, fatigue, stress, x and y axis, inertia and a bunch of other stuff I couldn't spell or pronounce. These motorcyclists/riders/engineers, not me, were the ones who, after almost three hours of "research", told me that the Tailwind was light-years ahead of anything else that was studied that day. That was when I decided if I were ever going to purchase a sophisticated motorcycle it would be a Tailwind. I was just relying on a group of very bright motorcyclists (with over 2 million miles of riding and more letters after their names than in the alphabet) to give me some pretty sound unbiased advise.

I know this tiny bit of advice, even if rendered by pretty good design engineers, dosen't compare to your formal education and years of experience running your fine company and entire staff of designers! But it is just me, just one guy with just one opinion who may, one day, just buy one trailer.

I will tell you that a Bushtec was NOT there that day (and I sure wish one had been) so they could have seen your advanced suspension. Could you get into a somewhat technical discussion as to exactly when your suspension was designed and what makes it so good. I would think there are many people on the board who would like to know why your system is so good. Alot of us are pretty technically proficient and would be very interested. It sure would be a great education for me who has "come around" to really appreciate Bushtec and your efforts at the helm of such a fine company.

Thanks as always for your expert input,

coolhand

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Cool trailer...I'd have some reservations behind a bike tho. High ground clearance and the light mount in the back would act like an air brake. Would make a great trailer for an SUV or ATV hauler being as versitile as it is.

There was a company a few years ago that built a trailer marketed for bikes. Was a cargo trailer. The lid came off and could be used as a boat. You could then use the trailers frame as a single rail bike hauler. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Coolhand,

I have been away from this thread and just happened to see some comments that are at least interesting.

Funny thing is that I saw some comments that would not be correct in the technical vane and I am thinking, "wonder what the guys at MIT would think of that?" and then saw your comment about your visitors from MIT.

The Tailwind body and lid weigh 87 pounds. It is really strong as this photo shows.

The rest of the 200 odd pounds is in the chassis.

It would be difficult for anyone reviewing the chassis of all the Motorcycle touring luggage trailers to not agree that this the strongest chassis of them all.

Although we obviously wish this had not happened, when Sheila's trailer was struck broadside by an S-10 pickup at what witnesses said was at 35 mph, it was loaded and was pushed after the impact sideways over a sidewalk or other curbing, which bent the far side wheel spindle slightly. This is a one-inch diameter spindle. No damage was done to the swing arms or frame. The draw bar was bent about 30 degrees and it is 2" square by .065 wall steel tubing. Of course, it knocked the Sheila's wing around and over and threw her off against a curb.

When Sheila got out of X ray, she put a strap around the lid because the impact sheared the latch, and pulled the damaged and loaded trailer from Seattle where it was hit, to Spring Branch for repair, 2460 miles from Saturday morning to Sunday evening, delayed by a thunderstorm in New Mexico for 7 hours.

It would not be likely that many trailers could have been pushed sideways over a curb and still be able to make such a trip.

The MIT visitors would likely find it hard to accept that you can push with a ball coupler but a pin coupler would prevent pushing.

Similarly, a pin coupler would be hard to show an ability to isolate vertical inertia.

The Tailwind loaded center of gravity is approximately 13 inches above the roadway and the track center is 36 inches wide. That forms the essence of the probablility to roll in a turn.

Since the trailer with the tall wheels has very little chassis weight, and the nominal cavity center of contents height is between the floor and the lid of the cavity, about 20 inches above the roadway and the track width appears to be about 33 inches, the roll over probability can be calulated using the actual dimensions if these are not correct.

The vertical travel of the Tailwind wheel suspension is about 4.1 inches, which means that if you start with the trailer at the top of its suspension and measure the belly between the wheels, to the ground, and then load the trailer untill it hits suspension bottom, that the belly will be 4.1 inches closer to the ground. It is accomplished by the variable geometry of the Progressive suspension unit axis and the axis of the swing arm which varies during the swing.

That is the way we determine suspension travel. I believe it is considerably more than any other hydraulically damped system on a motorcycle luggage trailer.

If your friends from MIT could have stood in each of the trailers they were considering, and actuated the suspension by bouncing up and down, It would not have been hard to determine which trailer had the most compliance and which had the least.

By intentionally rolling the body side to side and watching the angle of the wheels, they would also know which of the trailers maintain perfect wheel alignment in all modes of suspension.

Of couse the lack of compliance in most of the trailer suspensions would prevent them from rolling the trailers side to side anywhow.

This test will also reveal which trailer will pitch sideways when hitting a big bump on one side.

All of the things we did to make the Tailwind do what it does, costs money. It is the most expensively built touring trailer on the market. We understand it is not the correct choice for everyone. But for those for which this is the correct choice, they now have one because we did this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts