GL1800Riders Forums banner

Very dirty and sandy under the seat.

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  flyboy1800 
#1 ·
I’ve had the seat off 3 times in the 2890 miles that’s on my bike. This past time I removed the seT to install the show chrome rear seat tie downs, it was very dirty under there. Been around 1000 miles on this go around. The top of the fuel tank was especially thick in a fine sandy dust. I haven’t driven in the rain but have driven on slightly wet streets after a mild shower. I’m assuming all this dust is slinging up from the rear tire. If all this dust is coming from the front my air filter will be clogged in no time. I also have the show chrome front fender extension to prevent a lot of the sling up from the front and I do not ride on dirt roads. Is this pretty common for you high mileage riders?
Auto part Fuel line Engine Tire Vehicle
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#3 ·
That is common, at least with my bike. I ride in a state where they use Magnesium-Cloride ( for ice melt). I take my seat off every month and blow everything off. The Mag Cloriide turns into a dust on the road after it has been driven on for a couple of days. Seeing how that crap will eat aluminum it can't be good for wireing , ect..
Greg

#5 ·
Mine is pitch black with ultra-fine dust all over everything. It would take forever and a lot of water to clean off, and I don't really want to risk wetting all the connections under there.

Be careful with the front fender extension, they tend to break the fender.

#6 ·
Just my observation.......
This seems to be very common on the Goldwing. I see it on my current 2019 and also my previous '01 and '09 Goldwings.
Not sure if there isn't enough tupperware to block the crap or what.

But, in comparison I had my 2014 BMW K1600 for 5-years and that bike never accumulated crud under the seat like my Goldwings.
Somehow it's protected better or debris flows differently and does not collect under the seat by all the electronics.

It is what it is.....I just use a damp towel every time I take the seat off to clean it up before working on anything.

#7 · (Edited)
The rear wheel well traps dust, sand, and grit and it gets blown up under the seat from the turbulent air in the wheel well from the spinning wheel. On previous generation Wings, I have had some success at reducing the dust by blocking off all the openings to the rear wheel area with foam. It didn't totally eliminate it, but it definitely reduced it. I haven't taken the time to do this on the 2018, but I'm sure it would help.

#18 ·
Whenever I remove my seat I use my EGO battery operated blower to remove almost all of the grime under there and other places on the bike too. Better than getting everything wet.

prs

#20 ·
This reminds me of when I bought my first Goldwing. A 1984 GL1200 Interstate. It was 5 years old in 1989 and had 59,000 miles on it.
Whenever I would remove the seat and do any work on it, I would get so dirty, I finally just took the bike out into the driveway and sprayed it with de-greaser and hosed it off.
I will have to check my bike, it is coming up on 16,000 miles and time for an air cleaner change. I will see how it is doing then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.