GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found this to be the perfect size for me to carry more tools than the Honda factory tool kit yet it's not huge. It turned out to be just the right size for me to carry in a saddlebag all the time. It costs $19.50. I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/depa ... Product_47
Master Series Tool Roll Up - Duluth Trading Company

A description from their catalog:
We took the 600-denier material competitors call "super strong" and "extremely durable" and doubled it. This stuff is super-super strong. Like the guys who pull semi-trucks with their teeth. Self-contained Tool Roll Up design has 25 pockets for wrenches, ratchets, sockets and automotive hand tools. Flexible material won't beat up your tools or rattle on bumpy roads. Tucks into tighter corners in the truck, boat or cabin. Belongs in the trunk of every car. 27"L x 14¼"W. 1200-denier polyester fabric. Imported.

In addition to the list below I carry a small compressor, tire repair kit, small multimeter, tire guage, small LED flashlight with spare batteries, 1/4" nylon rope, small Master cable lock, Leatherman multi tool, spare keys to everything and the stock GL1800 tool kit. Here is the list of the tools I carry (as suggested by the Iron Butt Association but somewhat revised): it's nowhere near much "stuff" or as bulky as it appears when you first see the list:

10 in. Channelock pliers
6 in. Channelock pliers
6 in. needle nose pliers
5 in. flush cutting wire cutters
5 in. wire strippers
6 in. locking surgical forceps
4 in. 1/8 flat blade screwdriver
4 1/2 3/16 flat blade screwdriver
4 in. 00 Phillips screwdriver
6 in. #1 Phillips screwdriver
7 1/2 in. #2 Phillips screwdriver
7 1/2 in. 1/4 in. flat screwdriver
Xcelite four way driver
Magnet, general use, small
6 in. Crescent Wrench
M 10 X M 11 open end wrench
M 12 X M 14 open end wrench
M 10 X M 11 box end wrench
M 12 X M 14 box end wrench
M 17 X M 19 box end wrench
MAC combination six point Flex Box End/Open End, M 10, M 12, M 14, M 17 wrenches
4 oz. ball pien hammer, with handle shortened to 7 in.
M 5 hex key - short arm
M 6 hex key - short arm
M 5 Ball end hex key - "T" handle - 8 in.
Machinist's scribe, self storing point
6 Straight edge razor blades
6 C.C. tube of Locktite
6 Oz. tube of RTV clear silicone sealer
Two Tube 5 Minute Epoxy
Top quality padlock - with keys
2 spare Gerbing jacket/pants liner wire connectors
12 feet of two conductor electric wire
35-40 small zip ties - 3 1/2 in.
12 medium zip ties - 8 in.
6 electricians tapes, roll ends only, very easy to carry/use
12 Pre-Packaged alcohol wipes, for general clean-up
6 Pre-packaged "Handy-Towels" for your hands, etc.
clean up towels, terrycloth

The tools have helped me and friends on a number of occations. And "even though it's a Goldwing" a "few pounds" of prevention is worth mucho pounds of cure. I hope this post helps someone out someday.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Very nice, I like the rolling bag better than trying to stuff all those wrenches into the one from honda.

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Looks pretty good, but I'll stick with my overnight toiletry travel bag. Two compartments and fits well were the honda kit was.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I looks like it is better thought out than most kits, and the price sure is right.

Keep in mind though that the needs for every biker are different. That is why I prefer to select my own variety of tools. That way I know I have what I need and I don't carry anything that would be a waste of space. Also, when you start adding accessories, all of a sudden you have a mix of SAE and metric tools that you need. In fact, odds are that you will find an accessory bolt loosen up before anything else.

I would much rather carry standard and needle nose vise grips than crescent wrenches and channel locks. They are much more versatile. Excelite Series 99 drivers allow you to carry high quality screwdrivers and allen wrenches without taking up hardly any space. It allows me to carry sockets and combination wrenches, and various pliers and still fit everything in a leather toiletry bag that fits inside the cd changer compartment, with room left over to carry a small DMM.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Nice list. I'll have to look at that roll more closely.

·
Registered
260 Posts
"Build it and they will complain" ????
Larry, the guy was just giving free information for someone trying to build a tool set and you gave him the business.

Coolhand, thanks for your effort. Someone might need this list to get started. I too like the bag better than the setup I have.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Happy Guy,
Who is complaining?? Coolhand offered an idea, I offered an Idea, LarryM offered an Idea, and Rastoff offered Idea to carry tools. What did you offer? Just a complaint to someone who offered an Idea to the thread.
Did you have a bad day at work or something?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Happy Guy said:
"Build it and they will complain" ????
Larry, the guy was just giving free information for someone trying to build a tool set and you gave him the business.
Geez Happy Guy, (or is that really Grouchy Guy) :lol:
I don't know where you got that idea that I was giving him the business. I acknowledged that it was better thought out than most kits.

The only intent of my post was to get people to stop and think about whether this kit really was the best bit for their needs and offered an alternative way of thinking. I never implied that it was a lousy idea. I appreciate when people like Coolhand share their finds with us. That is why I looked at the post to begin with.

If you think that was bad, you definitely wouldn't have enjoyed the Mag LED flashlight thread that I started a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm still stunned by the list of stuff.... :shock:

I thought I carried a good pile o' stuff but HOLY SMOKE! :!:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep, second shift does that to me sometimes.

Sorry to all I have affended.

I really do like the roll up bag. I think I will buy one for my collection.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
OK now that I've had a little more time to look at the list I have an addition; a 22mm socket or combination wrench. This is the size of the bolt for the front axle.

You might also consider a 4mm allen. I'm not sure all Wings need this (it's a long story), but I need one for my top shelter.

Another thing I'm going to add is a special allen set I saw at Home Depot.

The T-handle allen wrenches don't roll up that well, but that set get's around that issue because of it's removable t-handle. And it's only $19.

There is definately a tool roll in my future. I like the way it organizes the tools. It makes them easier to find than a bag.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I bought a set of allen wrenches, cut off the Handles (Harbor Freight #37862-5RTB) and jb welded them to 1/4 drive sockets from 4 to 10mm. They work great and take up very little room in my bag.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ScooterK said:
I'm still stunned by the list of stuff.... :shock:

I thought I carried a good pile o' stuff but HOLY SMOKE! :!:
well some plan ahead in case of anything...like the need to do an engine rebuild at a rest stop. lol

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry and other positive contributors,

I have really enjoyed and benefited from your positive feedback. I will be adapting my kit to Exelite handles and attachments. I also will employ some other good suggestions. And I realize Happy Guy wasn’t trying to offend anyone. Thanks again for the good feedback.

And then it's comforting to know we will always have the Dairy Queens with us so we can enjoy their comments and realize there will always be those among us who are either too out of shape to venture out much further than the local ' Queen or are so self absorbed they wouldn't even think of carrying (or doing) anything to help a stranded stranger in need. There are those who lift in life and those who lean.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Clamper said:
I bought a set of allen wrenches, cut off the Handles (Harbor Freight #37862-5RTB) and jb welded them to 1/4 drive sockets from 4 to 10mm. They work great and take up very little room in my bag.
You can buy the socket/allen drivers from Harbor Freight now; I bought a metric, and an SAE set.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
I have a special tool bag , it is very small and compact and holds all the tools a guy like me with limited mechanic skills needs, it is leather and about 3 inches wide and 4 inches tall, it holds all the tools I need to get me going in no time.... Cell phone and Credit card!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt,

Your mentioning the credit card reminded me of one other little package I carry on my Wing in a very well hidden place.

And here is why: It went something like this. I was reading about a guy from SoCal who had been on a solo four-day trip and was on his way back home across Death Valley early one Sunday morning. He stopped in at one of those "last chance" gas stations nearly empty. Got off his bike, reached into his pocket for his wallet and discovered it WAS GONE! No gas, no money, no driver’s license and no credit cards. He called his bank and wasn’t able to get any help from them. He called his girlfriend and several other friends (almost 200 miles away) and they were only able to tell him they would drive to meet him to help him out. I think he was able to convince the filling station people he wasn’t a crook and would repay the "loan" for the gas in a few days, either by mailing cash or driving back to repay. He finally got his gas and was on his way.

I followed the advice he offered from his misadventure which was this: Take a second spare key, valid credit card, a duplicate drivers license and $100.00, put them up in a waterproof wrap (I used several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil) and hide them on your motorcycle. That should be enough cash for a night in a low budget motel if you have to (and they don't accept credit cards), a meal, A Dairy Queen ice cream cone, and some gas to get you to a bank or back home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts