GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely Proud of America, in the way we Honored the passing of President Gerald Ford.

With the greatest dignity, compassion and brotherhood, we stood out as a Nation that honors it's fallen leader of past, and serviceman.

We all should be proud of our nation, and understand what it means to be an American.

I know that I am Proud!

Bulldog

·
Registered
270 Posts
President Ford

It begs the question of, why we must wait till he dies, to honor a great President and a good human being, a person who loved his country, his family and a man of principle with great integrity.

Today's politics seem so lacking in those qualities.

Why can't we all get along, play by the rules and respect others?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Also being from Grand Rapids, I've felt a special connection to all of the respect and congratulations paid to Jerry. I'm fortunate to have met him on a few occasions. I'm not claiming any special connection, but I know lots of people who know him very well. Nobody has ever said an unkind thing about Jerry. I'm fortunate to live in a community that has the values and ethics that provided Jerry with a firm foundaiton that served him so well the rest of his life. So often the commentators have spoken about how proud Jerry's family was of him. We should all strive to live our lives in such a way as to have those we leave behind to be proud and happy that they knew us and benefitted from our role in their lives. We don't have to be President to "do the right things" and "do things right." There might not be as many people attend our funerals, but there is no reason they cannot be as proud and happy to celebrate the life we led.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bulldog said:
I am extremely Proud of America, in the way we Honored the passing of President Gerald Ford.

With the greatest dignity, compassion and brotherhood, we stood out as a Nation that honors it's fallen leader of past, and serviceman.

We all should be proud of our nation, and understand what it means to be an American.

I know that I am Proud!

Bulldog
I couldn't have said it better, thanks for posting it and giving us the opportunity to think about that.

Bill

·
Old Crusty Member
76 Posts
Kind of ironic that while our well respected President was being honored another despot was being put to death. What a privilege it is to be a citizen of this great country. Wish our politicians could grasp more sense of greatness and what it takes to be a STATESMAN. Still the best country in the world and I don't want to try any others..............cd

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
05wingman said:
Kind of ironic that while our well respected President was being honored another despot was being put to death. What a privilege it is to be a citizen of this great country. Wish our politicians could grasp more sense of greatness and what it takes to be a STATESMAN. Still the best country in the world and I don't want to try any others..............cd
Ironic?? Coincidence maybe. The irony escapes me !?

Bradford

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: President Ford

ytownmac said:
It begs the question of, why we must wait till he dies, to honor a great President and a good human being, a person who loved his country, his family and a man of principle with great integrity.
Amen to that and I wish he would have won the election!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hear, hear BullDog and CJS!!

:flg:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I didn't care for his politics, But I respect him as a person and a past president.

It bothered me that the press was giving that piece a garbage Saddam more coverage than our own former President.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I watched the entire funeral...did not see anything about Saddam...just switched channels at the appropriate time...I missed being there by one day...was in DC the day before and was right there at the WWII Memorial...
Yes, Bulldog...we should be proud of Americans!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Interesting question, vtownmac. I think at least some of the answer may lie in the "Me" generation, where everything is about me. Not that any particular generations has the corner on that market, but it seems it is way too prevalent in today's society. When we see or hear about great sacrifice it becomes national news, rather than the norm expected of all citizens. We call people who do normal, everyday jobs "heroes." They may have tough and exacting jobs, but there are many of us who spent the majority of our lives in dangerous situations serving our country because that is what we chose to do. I would never apply the appelation "heroe" to any of them. The marine who fell on a grenade (twice) to protect his comrades in arms - that's a heroe.

In any case, if we would stop thinking so much about the "me" factor and start thinking about others, many of the problems we see in today's society would become less prevalent. Gerald Ford was a decent, honest man, who has been properly remembered by his country for serving in a very difficult time in our history. He was rewarded by defeat, but in spite of that, he did what he knew to be the right thing - and paid the price for doing it. How many of us have that kind of courage?

We may not do a lot of things right in this country, but we sure do know how to bury a president.

Mesquite Bob

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
tourman said:
I meant general news coverage, not during the funeral.
sorry, didn't mean during either! I just changed channels when it came up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts